OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 673

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 673
    Posted: April/15/2008 at 13:58
I have a new Remington 673 guide gun in a 6.5 Remington magnum on the way.  Great price from www.gunbroker.com.  Ordered reloading dies, brass, bullets (which I already have for my 260 Remington) and a scope and mounting hardware (Warne, of course).  The scope is not going to blow anybody away and in fact is going to send alot of you guys to the refrigerator laughing, going for a cold one.  The budget was tight and wanting to try something new, I went with a Simmons Aetec 4x14 44mm SF with a truplex reticle.  After reading the Simmons literature, fixed eye relief to include some other features such as the hydrophobic coating, so to speak, like the Bushnell Elite series and the fact that I wanted this zoom range and the price was where I wanted it, I decided it fit the bill.  Hopefully everything will arrive before the weekend.  Only problem is looking for loading dies and brass, as well as the other items needed, it was all ordered from multiple places.  I have not heard that the dies or brass has been shipped (two different places).  I will do a review on the rifle and scope after setting it all up.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 15:12
Good luck and have fun with the new toy; don't apologize for the scope, wish I had a new rifle to mount something on!
God save the Empire!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:05
Thanks Dogger.  I should get the scope tomorrow according to the tracking information.  I will let you know how it looks and my initial impression after going over it.  I have had good luck with all of my pre-Meade Simmons Aetec scopes, even on my Howa 300 win. mag. without losing its poi between seasons.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I have a new Remington 673 guide gun in a 6.5 Remington magnum on the way.  Great price from www.gunbroker.com.  Ordered reloading dies, brass, bullets (which I already have for my 260 Remington) and a scope and mounting hardware (Warne, of course).  The scope is not going to blow anybody away and in fact is going to send alot of you guys to the refrigerator laughing, going for a cold one.  The budget was tight and wanting to try something new, I went with a Simmons Aetec 4x14 44mm SF with a truplex reticle.  After reading the Simmons literature, fixed eye relief to include some other features such as the hydrophobic coating, so to speak, like the Bushnell Elite series and the fact that I wanted this zoom range and the price was where I wanted it, I decided it fit the bill.  Hopefully everything will arrive before the weekend.  Only problem is looking for loading dies and brass, as well as the other items needed, it was all ordered from multiple places.  I have not heard that the dies or brass has been shipped (two different places).  I will do a review on the rifle and scope after setting it all up.
...................WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!................Is that Remy guide gun the one with the REEEEAL short 18" or 18.5" barrel? Ya know, one of those lack luster performing, dumb to own, ain`t worth a damn compacts, that are good for only 100 yards???..............Whistling.........Mouth%20Taped%20Shut.......Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:42
No, you're thinking of a 22............Whatever
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 17:24
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

...................WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!................Is that Remy guide gun the one with the REEEEAL short 18" or 18.5" barrel? Ya know, one of those lack luster performing, dumb to own, ain`t worth a damn compacts, that are good for only 100 yards???..............Whistling.........Mouth%20Taped%20Shut.......Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing 
Ed is correct.  Gosh BS, you should know better.  This has a 22 inch barrel with a ventilated rib.

Edited by Dolphin - April/15/2008 at 17:24
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 18:49
Ya come on Big Squeeze, get with the program - besides everyone knows those short barreled runts aren't good past 75 yards, not a 100.  My Ruger carbine shoots so low & slow I can adjust just by watching where my shots go.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:41
ive got that exact rifle in a 6.5 rem as well and its a fine rifle you will like it, i took the rib and front sight of and it made a big difference in the feel when you swing it around.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:54

Ed is correct.  Gosh BS, you should know better.  This has a 22 inch barrel with a ventilated rib.
......................Dolphin!..........  A 22" er? Isn`t yours like the one that chambered the 350 Remy Mag that had the ventilated rib also?? Wasn`t that one with the 18" barrel??..........I must be mixed up here! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:56
none of the 673's have any thing but a 22 inch barrel yes it came in .350 rem mag also came in .308 and 300rsum
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Ya come on Big Squeeze, get with the program - besides everyone knows those short barreled runts aren't good past 75 yards, not a 100.  My Ruger carbine shoots so low & slow I can adjust just by watching where my shots go.
.......................................With mine, I just watch the bullets hit the targets all the time!............Oh Yeah! Sure!! Right!!! Hmmm! Hmmm!.............
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 20:07
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

none of the 673's have any thing but a 22 inch barrel yes it came in .350 rem mag also came in .308 and 300rsum
........................I thought that the barrels on those were shorter than 22"..........Oh well!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 20:22
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 07:13
Any problems removing the rib and sights?
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:04
Great gun! no comment on the scope (I don't feel like arguing today) I will say that the whole set up might be a little out of proportion with that scope on top. 673s look best with a small scope mounted LOW. Leupold 2.5-8x36 looks like it was made for that gun!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:12

.....................You think that the rib and sight are,,, UGLY????
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:58
I think the rib and sight are sexy, in a classic kind of way.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 13:01
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Great gun! no comment on the scope (I don't feel like arguing today) I will say that the whole set up might be a little out of proportion with that scope on top. 673s look best with a small scope mounted LOW. Leupold 2.5-8x36 looks like it was made for that gun!
I knew I would get it about the scope.  I wanted something with a little more upper end magnification as the caliber has the ability to reach out and touch something.  I would have prefered a 40 mm. objective and had a budget.  I received the scope today and it is reasonably well built and optically is better than I expected.  I thought that they were made in the Phillipines, but is made in China which pisses me off.  I have some other scopes at home, but will have to see what I have.  It really is not that long, but will see how it looks on the rifle.  I have Warne QD mounts for it, so it can come off easily and I can mount something else quickly.  I have that Leupold on my 375 RUM and it is great, optically superior to this Simmons, but for the difference of almost 220 dollars this will do for now.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 13:02

.....................You think that the rib and sight are,,, UGLY????
No, actually I like the looks of the rib and sights, but I will have to see the rifle in person and make a judgment for myself.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 20:38

no but you gotta get something to plug the holes, i got some plastic screws from a gun shop they worked, i like the rib but with my monarch on top i could see the front blade sight and that bothered me and when i took the front sight off it looked stupid with the rib and no site so i took the whole thing off, looks like a laminated m7 now and it swings way faster.i will also recommend you trying to reload that with the 130gr nosler accubond, my 673 loves them, the 120 shot so so at best the 130gr ab's really squeezed the group size.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/17/2008 at 06:10
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic