OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Surf and Turf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf and Turf
    Posted: April/15/2008 at 06:40

I have opened my hunting season with a surf-and-turf! (Not sure if all the members are familiar with this term, it is used in South Africa on the steakhouse’s menu which describes a half steak and half sea-food order).

Our crayfish season closed this past week-end, so I managed to get my last dive in. Weather conditions were not ideal, but I managed to dive a full quota (4). They were well-sized, so I ended the season with a bang.

On Sunday I went Egyptian geese shooting. I am out-an-out a rifle hunter. I do not even own a shotgun. I have however on several occasions done clay-pigeon shooting. In these instances my years of bushbuck hunting stood me in good stead, as I did pretty well at hitting the clays.

So on Sunday we traveled to Tulbach, a fruit and wheat growing area about 2 hours inland from Cape Town. One of my friends has the shooting rights on the canning factory site where Egytian geese are a pest.

Upon arrival we set up some blinds and decoys. I took up in one of the blinds, whilst the other guns spread out to other sites. The factory dam turned out the best site where the shooters had good sport.

We were in position about an hour after sunrise when the geese started coming in from their sleeping areas. They came in droves, at one stage about 500 birds were sitting just out of my range. Unfortunately my hide was new and the birds seemed wary. Eventually I got my first shot in and dropped a goose! After that I took another 4. The wind was blowing strongly and the geese were flying high and fast.

The guns at the dam had it easier and they shot some 30 odd.

A great way to open the season (which officially starts around May for antelope). Egyptian geese are a pest and can be shot year round.

All cell phone pics excuse quality

The hide with decoys 
 The view from the hide

A view of Tulbach valley

geese flying in not very clear but see to the right of white fog/cloud

The bag

Edited by 8shots - April/15/2008 at 06:57
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 07:33
Thats some pretty country. congrads on the fun hunt. Do we see a shotgun in you next gun order?

8's
Take and cut the goosed up into 4x4 chunks and then brown them in some vegie oil and put them in a slow cooker with 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup and add 3 cans of water and let it cook for 4 hours than add some wild grain rice and let cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hour.That make for a taste tread.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:58
Very cool, 8. You have pics of some incredible scenery.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:01

I'd say this 8-shots guy is pretty cool, if you were to ask me...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 20:03
I'm not real fond of eating our canadian goose, but boy do I love a cray fish boil.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 03:37
Thanks to you all. If you ever come to our side of the world, you know where I am.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 05:04
Hey, 8 shots, are you diving for crayfish?? That's pretty COLD WATER isn't it?  Shocked You'll have to tell us about that, too!!  Send us some cell phone pics of the topless beach, too.  I'll close my eyes so I don't see anything that I'm not supposed to look at! Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 05:24
Ed, I had just finished reading a story on buffalo hunting. The hunter describes the tense moments of stalking through tall grass with visibility reduced to a few feet, not knowing when he will come face to face with a big buff.
Well, on Sat I was diving in a thick bed of kelp, with poor visibility. As I parted the kelp on my way down I thought buff hunting has nothing on this! I am diving in Great White country, imagine parting the kelp and coming face to face with a 12 ft monster. Now that is an adrenaline rush ....

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 06:13
I think that would scare me a lot more than a buffalo!
Great pics and story, thanks.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 06:23
man i love it when 8shots posts pictures of his homeland, what a beautiful place with a diverse choice of game to pursue too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 19:38
Hey 8 shots, the scenario you described about meeting a Great White Shark close up got me to thinking about whether or not turds float to the top of the ocean or whether they just sort of drift around down below.............Stare???  
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 04:39
They do neither, they squelch up through your wetsuit Dead
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:17
Yukkkk.........I'm sorry I asked.........  Dead
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:58
so am I:)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 19:06
Wouter, once again, thanks for the great pics and stories.  I always enjoy your posts, friend!  You're very blessed to have such a wonderfully diverse variety of game to hunt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic