OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIKONS ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIKONS ??
    Posted: April/15/2008 at 00:06
 Was at the range today and there were a couple guys with Nikons .... put them up to my eye and fired a few rounds .... seemed darn good for what they said they are selling for .... some kind of super sale .... any info would be appreciated . Been around a long time and usually stuck with old tried and true but would like to think about one . Camera lenses  were darn good but how's their scopes ? Plese no second hand " what ya heard " ... someone who really owned one opinions please .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 06:33
i have owned 4 or five buckmasters and a monarch over the last 7yrs and have had nothing but good to say about there scopes quality, the only down side to nikon is that there cs dept is notoriously bad. other than that i like them cheaptrick likes them, other than rainguard its a dead heat for me when compared to an elite 4200
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 09:32
Personal experience with a  3x9 Monarch that lost tracking after 3 rounds ..okay - sh*t happens, but their customer service was dismal...that said, I acually just bought another one 2 weeks back from SWFA for $199 ( silver 3x9 Monarch )hoping that lightning doesn't strike twice  I also have a 2x7 Monarch and a couple 1.5-4.5's and they are fine .I would have bought a 4200 ELITE , but the 3x9 4200 Elite doesn't come in silver( stainless rifle )  and I had to stick to a specific budget for this one .

Edited by martin3175 - April/16/2008 at 21:18
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 10:36
 Okayyyy .... was looking at the monarch 6.5x20 - 42mm and the 3.5x10 - 50mm ... both with the illuminated rectile . Can get a heck of a deal ... looks so .... both from SWFA ..... anyone know what sunshade fits them .... any other brand threads .... don't see any available anywhere ? That customer service thingy worries me a bit though .
               SWFAM
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 17:51
I had the Monarch 6.5-20x44mm with a lit Mil Dot.
LOT of scope for a very LOW price @ SWFA.  

Not sure about sun shades though.  
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 19:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I had the Monarch 6.5-20x44mm with a lit Mil Dot.
LOT of scope for a very LOW price @ SWFA.  

Not sure about sun shades though.  

That's exactly the one I'm about to send my cash for ! Thought I'd check back here one more time first . Plus I read that scope ratings scale posted by SWFA .... by Chris Farris and the Nikon Monarchs  were way up there .... made up my mind . Thanks cheaptrick ... !
               SWFAM
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 20:10
I have 2-7 and 3-9 Monarch's with no problems to report so far. Neither are on heavy kickers. The glass is great for the money and the physical dimensions are in order. By this last statement I mean they look like Leupold's, which is always a good thing IMO.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 20:29
 Just sent Mike and the boys/girls my money for the Monarch 6.5-20 ** 44mm with the illuminated mil-dot . Did you notice on the SWFA scale the monarchs were rated up there with the better leus .... but at a much lower price for all the features !  Sharp%20Shooter

thanks guys for the input .... this site and SWFA's staff are beyond great !
               SWFAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 16:04

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 06:31
 Now that is one good lookin scope ... where in the heck is my UPS man ?  What are the rings and mounts you have on her ... beautiful strong looking .... mine's going on a remmi too ?
               SWFAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 07:44
TPS medium rings and a Badger 20 MOA rail.

After this pic was taken, I replaced the TPS medium rings with TPS lows and had a better cheek weld.

The pic above shows the high target turrets that come with the scope.
The other turrets are low profile with covers. 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 08:57

Anybody have any experience with the Prostaff models.  I just picked up a 4x 32 mm, specified as a rimfire model, just to use on my 673 Remington 6.5 Remington magnum until another scope arrives.  The optics are good and the eye box is forgiving.  I like the fact it was made in the Philippines and not China.  None of the Prostaff models are listed as "Shock Proof."  Does anyone have any reason to believe the model I bought will not stand up to the recoil my rifle?  It is just for use until the Weaver I purchased arrives and I will use it for any 22 bolt action rifle I buy in the future.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 09:00
my bro in law has a 3x9 pro staff on his light weight browning a-bolt in a .270 win and it kicks harder than the 673 ever will and so far after three years now i think he hasnt had any trouble with it so im sure your fine d
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 09:05
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Anybody have any experience with the Prostaff models? 

D, I too just got a 4x Rimfire Pro Staff for my .22 Marlin.

Not as good optically as a Buck Master, but it should hold up to recoil from what I've read online by others.    
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 09:24
Thanks guys.  The optics on it are actually pretty good for the cost.  I had to buy it locally because I was in a hurry to shoot the rifle today and guess what, its raining.  Is it raining down around Charlotte CT?  I have got to mount a new scope on my Ruger 77 MK II in a 220 Swift, a Swift Premier, I believe 6x18 44 mm (taking off a cheap Tasco.)  When I load shells for it last weekend after checking the chamber size, I checked the rings and everything was loose.  The old style Ruger rings with screw heads and I stripped one of them trying to tighten it to 25 ft. lbs..  So I bought the scope and some Burris Ruger style rings and will take care of that.  I have to put that 300 Wby. in its new B and C Medalist stock that fits its #2 barrel contour, so it is not free floated to Wby. specs and then I have to load a bunch of 6.5 Remington magnum ammo.

After thinking a while and not having a modified cartridge for my Hornady OAL gauge, I thought of another way of doing it.  Take a cleaning rod that is small enough to sit flush against the bolt face and with the bolt in the rifle, put the rod in the muzzle all the way to the bolt face.  Make a mark on the rod exactly where the rod exist the muzzle.  Then, take the bullet that you are going to use and after removing the bolt, put it into the chamber and with the rod, push it forward until it sits on the lands and grooves, just as you would with the Hornady gauge.  Then, take the rod and put it into the barrel, while using the Hornady gauge grey piece or another rod or small wooden dowel to hold the bullet in place and slowly pass the rod into the barrel until it meets the bullet.  Then, make a mark on the rod exactly where it exist the muzzle and the difference in marks is your OAL of the chamber of your rifle for that bullet.  And, its free and can be done for any rifle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 09:29
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Is it raining down around Charlotte CT? 

No, Sir.
We had "tornadies" last night up around Lincolnton though. Bucky
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 12:14
i have 2 nikon monarchs and 1 prostaff rimfire and all of them are really good for the money.  I have one on a hard kicking 30/30 - perfect performance, near abouts.
I have one on a 7mm that is quite solid as well. The other one sits on a CZ varming rimfire and it's a very very fun setup to shoot.

nikon is good - hopefully will never (knock on wood) have to use their CS dept.

J
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 13:01
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

CT,
nice rig... heck of a scope... but there is one thing wrong I can't put my finger on.Oh I got it the bolt is on the wrong side. Send it to me and I'll fix it up for you.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 14:37
Cheaptrick
 Do you have any problem loading or ejection with that badger rail. So few rifles have the bolt on the correct side.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 14:53
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Cheaptrick
 Do you have any problem loading or ejection with that badger rail. So few rifles have the bolt on the correct side.

Not as easily accessible as a two piece base, but it works very well.

NEVER had any problems with ejection.
If I ever did, believe me, I'd get something else in a hurry.
Guns that have failure to feed, fire, or extraction issues get resolved really fast around my AO, friend.
I ain't having it.....Devil

Thanks for the kind words, Daddy.

Edited by cheaptrick - April/21/2008 at 14:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic