OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me pick my scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me pick my scope
    Posted: April/14/2008 at 21:38
    I've become a member of this forum because I'm looking for some scope selection advice. I'm looking for a scope for my new rifle. It's a Blaser R93 LX. For those not familiar with the R93 it's a straight pull bolt action rifle. Mine weighs about 6.5lbs and is in 7mm-08. I'll be using it to hunt mainly Whitetails in my native Pennsylvania. In Pa we've got mostly woods although there are many opportunities for some longer shots. My selection criteria in order of importance are:

1) Optical Quality
2) Magnification Range - Ideally I would like something in the 2.5-10X range. This would give me both good field of view and good long range magnification.
3) Light weight- The scope needs to be light since I'm going for a lightweight package.
4) Compact dimension - I would prefer a short overall length and would like to keep the  
     objective to a maximum of 42mm although a 50mm objective might work.
5) Price - price is not of utmost importance to me. I will pay a premium to get exactly what I
     want. However, if I can find exactly what I want at a cheaper price I'll opt for the
     cheaper priced model.

In short I'm looking for a scope that is high quality, light weight and compact, with a good magnification range. Right now my top picks are:

1) Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10X42mm
       2) Swarovski Z6 1.7-10X42mm
       3) Kahles CS 2.5-10X50mm

However, these scopes are both quite expensive and I'm definitely open to suggestions.

So what do you guys think?

Josh

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 21:40
pick a number out of your hat and go with it?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 22:19
I'd go with the Kahles. - wiedmannsheil !
Derek
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 22:20
thats not even a choice- the z6, hands down, far and away, clear winner-- and wait for the drum roll--- it has a rail system designed especially for blasers. (they don't work on much else).
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 23:28
Darn good choices all around .... you don't fool around ..... LOL
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
texashunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 02:46

The victory is my favorite

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 03:07
I would take a serious look at the SwarovskiZ6 2-12X50. That would be a scope that will give you just an extra edge in light and magnification should you ever need it.
jägermeister View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 11:19
Ok,
      I sounds like at this point it's a matter of personal preference. So far I've got 1 vote for the Zeiss, 1 for the Kahles, and 2 for the Swarovski Z6. Anyone else car to weigh in?
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 13:04
If you are looking at the sample list then you already know the Kahles is the best buy. And you can get the multi-zero option if you want it, and still spend less. Like to see some pics. when you get it all together. Welcome to the OT.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jägermeister View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 19:51
Texashunter,

What is it that makes you like the Zeiss the best?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 21:22
I haven't spent any time behind a Z6 outside of a store, so I can't compare it to the Zeiss and Kahles.  I have both the Kahles and the 50mm objective version of the 2.5-10X Zeiss.  I would say the Zeiss is ever so slightly better than the Kahles, mainly because it has less of a tunnel effect on the lowest power than the Kahles does.  However, the current Kahles prices are hard to ignore right now, so I would go with it.  It is very close to the Zeiss.  The Swaro Z6 1.7-10X42 is a very intriguing scope and I have no doubt it's spectacular, and any other positive adjective you can think of to describe it.  It would probably be my second choice only because unlike the Kahles and Zeiss, I don't own one.  Z6 will provide perhaps a little more versatility for a wider variety of big game hunting applications, due to the wider FOV on the low end, but it's also more expensive than the others.

If it weren't for the very attractive price on the Kahles right now, I would personally prefer a 42mm objective due to the lower scope mount height and lighter weight/less bulk.  Only beyond 6X does the 50mm scope provide any noticeable advantage in light transmission, and then only slightly.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
craSSh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craSSh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 22:04
According to your criteria

1) all are excellent optical quality
2) pretty much the same magnification
3) the Zeiss weighs the least  
4) the Zeiss is the shortest  
5) price goes to the Khales

I own a couple of Zeiss but wouldn't hesitate to own a Swaro or Khales.
Take your pick they are all fine scopes.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 11:32
i really think you can flip a coin and be blown away by any of those - i like the victory, but i have heard great things about the Z6 - and i KNOW kahles glass is really really nice. But i too, give the slight nod to zeiss diavari over the kahles.

J
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:18
I vote for the ATN, I can't wait to put one of these babies on my next rifle.   80mm objective what could be better than that.Oh%20Yea%20Baby
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10528-926-atn-12-36x80-professional-30mm-riflescope.aspx

"disclaimer:  Information in this post is purely BS and should not be taken seriously"
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 15:35
I have nothing good to say about any of these scopes, as I don't own any of them. If I were you I would buy all three, ship them to me and I will test them. When I find out which is the best, I can tell you which one to buy for yourself to help you avoid "wasting your money." Wink

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 15:59
Cencored  Trigger beat me.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 18:32
"Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughingdisclaimer:  Information in this post is purely BS and should not be taken seriously"

Edited by HuntMaster - April/16/2008 at 18:34
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic