OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

E-mail Petition to Colorado Dept. of Wildlife

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-mail Petition to Colorado Dept. of Wildlife
    Posted: April/14/2008 at 15:50
Guys-

This is the email that we are sending to the Commissioners.  Please pass it on to all your associates and ask them to do the same.  I think a thousand emails to each of the Commissioners should get their attention.  Like I said, one of the Commissioners has already contacted me with advice.  So I think we're having an impact.

~ Tom

The "Protest Email" form letter is completed.  It is intentionally worded so as not to insult or put the Commissioners on the defensive.  The last thing we want to do is piss them off.  We want to show them we are their allies.  Then when we go into the hearing on May the 1st and 2nd they won't have hostile feelings towards us.

I've attached the form letter and the email addresses of the Commissioners.  Copy and paste the letter into your email.  Sign, address (city, State), and date it.  Then copy and paste the email addy's of the Commissioners.  Then hit SEND.

We need to get this form letter distributed to as many concerned hunters as we can.  It does not matter what State they live in.  Thousands of out-of-state hunters come to Colorado each year to shoot prairie dogs.  The Commission needs to see that to understand just how much revenue the State will be losing if this proposal is enacted.

Post this form letter on as many hunting/shooting/varmint/predator sites as you possibly can.  Get everyone you know to submit one, that means the wife, uncle Louie, aunt Louise and Grandma, too!  Everyone you hunt with, or thought about hunting with, needs to read and submit this email to the Commission.  This is our Heritage we're fighting for.

I will work on the petition over the weekend.  We want to post the petition and collect signatures in sporting goods stores, gun shops, ANYWHERE that sportsmen and hunters may frequent.  Before the hearing, we will round up all the signed petitions and bring them with us to Grand Junction and lay them on the table before the Commissioners.

We will not stand for a bunch of bunny huggers from Santa Fe trying to dictate what we can and can't do in Colorado.  Now let's go send a flood of emails to the Commissioners.

~ Tom

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 15:52

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE COLORADO WILDLIFE COMMISSION

Dear Commissioners:

Recently, a petition was presented to you by the FOREST GUARDIANS, requesting that you consider the total abolition of the shooting of prairie dogs in the State of Colorado.  As you evaluate their petition, I ask that you consider all of the facts regarding the stable prairie dog population and their economic impact on the ranchers and farmers of Colorado.

I would like to state that I do not condone the glorification of the blood and gore, that I understand was shown to you in commercially available videos at your last meeting.  Ironically, someone from New York produced those videos, and the filming was done in Utah and South Dakota.  Nothing in those videos has relevance to Colorado, or Colorado hunters.

Historically, you must agree that for the Colorado ranching and farming communities, the prairie dog population must be kept under control.  Contrary to what you may have been told by the Forest Guardians, recent studies conducted by the Colorado Division of Wildlife, have dispelled any notion that prairie dogs, either white tail or black, are in danger of extinction in Colorado.  To the contrary, the prairie dog population has been proven to be stable and not declining, and in some areas they have actually expanded their territory. 

As the drought in the western United States lingers, the prairie dog population continues to encroach on the Colorado rancher and farmer’s domain.  Recent studies, at Colorado State University, clearly indicate the negative impact on cattle production, when prairie dog populations increase.

For ranchers and farmers, we are not the final solution.  Studies have shown that the prairie dog population cannot be reduced below 67% of its original count based on shooting alone.  There are many reasons for this.  Ultimately, ranchers and farmers must resort to poison.  Poisoned rodents pass the toxin along the food chain to raptors such as hawks, eagles, owls, and falcons. Mammals, such as coyotes, badgers, fox, and bobcat can also die from eating the poisoned rodents. Poisoning is a very expensive option for landowners.  However, they may be left with no choice if shooting is banned.

Please keep in mind that these special interest groups do not contribute to the support of the Division of Wildlife.  Funding for the Division of Wildlife comes from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and the habitat fees collected in conjunction with those sales. Remember, we are the purchasers of those hunting licenses.   Animal rights activists do not buy hunting licenses.

I am confident that you will not bow to a vocal minority of anti-hunters and allow a group of uninformed citizens attempt to dictate what our States wildlife management plans should be.

Thank you for supporting the sportsmen of Colorado!

Sincerely,

(Name)

(Address)

(Date)

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 15:53
Colorado Department of Wildlife Commissioners

Thomas M. Burke

tmburke@juno.com

Tim Glenn

timglenn@salida.net

Sherman Harris

harris.sherman@state.co.us

John Stulp

john.stulp@ag.state.co.us

Brad Coors

bcoors@c5medicalwerks.com

Claire M. O'Neal

yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:29
    Done!  Thanks for the post Chris.  I go back home to Colorado to help control the dog towns every year. I've got relatives who ranch for a living out there in Pueblo county and they are a real problem.  If groups like this had their way, all the game that we now enjoy hunting would be no more. This group will stop at nothing, one critter at a time. I just hope everyone here will participate in this crisis. All of our voices need to be heard fellas!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by yellowdog - April/16/2008 at 17:08
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 16:35
Done -, odd they are trying to conserve the pdog while the ranchers have been desperate enough to start using poison and blowing them up with propane, cause we are not shoot enough of them.
Duce Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic