OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope 22LR or 17HMR?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope 22LR or 17HMR?
    Posted: April/14/2008 at 14:34

I have been thinking about buying a nice 22LR or a 17HMR.  I want to get a bolt action and use it for plinking, practice and some squirrel fun.  What is the classic best power range for 22's.  ie 3-9X40 or 4 power fixed.  I have mostly Conquest scopes, but really like the Nikon's for the money.  Any suggestions are apprecaited. 

I am thinking about that Sako Quad or the New Weatherby.  Anyone have a 22LR they love.  I already got the Ubiquitous

10-22 Ruger.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 14:55
Get you a 17 HMR you will love it. They shoot like a laser. You will probably want to up the power a little over the 3-9 .I have 2 17s and they both are sub 1/2 moa off of bags. Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope on a marlin or savage would be nice.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by PappaBear PappaBear wrote:

I have been thinking about buying a nice 22LR or a 17HMR.  I want to get a bolt action and use it for plinking, practice and some squirrel fun.  What is the classic best power range for 22's.  ie 3-9X40 or 4 power fixed.  I have mostly Conquest scopes, but really like the Nikon's for the money.  Any suggestions are apprecaited. 

I am thinking about that Sako Quad or the New Weatherby.  Anyone have a 22LR they love.  I already got the Ubiquitous

10-22 Ruger.

I have been using a Nikon 4x Prostaff for my .22 recently. Works well for me and the price is terrific. Got it off the Sample List.

Ubiquitous, you say???
I had to look that word up, Pappa. Bucky

Edited by cheaptrick - April/14/2008 at 14:59
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 15:44

For a general hunting & plinking .22, I prefer either a good fixed 4X or a low powered variable that is either parallax adjusted for 50 yards or has parallax adjustment that goes down to at least 50, if not 25 yds. 

Between a .22LR and a .17 (either HMR or HM2), I would go for the .17 as well.  The .17s give you basically twice the effective range, and they are usually more accurate due to the jacketed, more streamlined V-Max style bullets and special powders used.  A 1.5-6X, 2-7X, 3-9X scope works well for it, and a standard centerfire scope is fine because of the increased practical range of the .17s.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 15:53
You might want to stay away from the Nikon. I understand that its minimum focus rage is somewhere around 50 yds so anything closer than that will be blurry.

Somebody please correct me If I'm wrong about this..
Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 16:00

I have mostly Conquest scopes, but really like the Nikon's for the money.  Any suggestions are apprecaited. 

Since you are a Conquest fan, have you seen the 50-yard parallax model fixed 4X Conquest?  It's a fantastic little rimfire scope!

Although it doesn't say on this page, this is the 50-yd parallax model of the 4X Conquest:

I haven't played with the Sako Quad, but I know the new Weatherby MK XXII uses an Anschutz barreled action, so it will undoubtedly shoot!  If you are considering a rifle in that price range, I would also encourage you to take a hard look at the Cooper M57, which is just as accurate, and is available in .22LR, .17HMR, and .17HM2... and, it looks as well as it shoots.  Speaking of Anschutz, I would also consider one of their rimfires as well; they're consistently one of the most accurate you can buy.  If you can find one, you might also look at the now-discontinued Kimber .22s.  There are still some available for sale, and they are nice, high-end rifles at a price point just below Cooper and Anschutz.  If you're interested in something unique, a departure from a traditional bolt action, the new Browning T-Bolt is a nice little rimfire as well, and it seems to have a reputation for being quite accurate. 

Edited by RifleDude - April/14/2008 at 16:03
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 16:03
Originally posted by Legs in the Air Legs in the Air wrote:

You might want to stay away from the Nikon. I understand that its minimum focus rage is somewhere around 50 yds so anything closer than that will be blurry.

Somebody please correct me If I'm wrong about this..

Good point.

The 4-12x Monarch has an AO, but I can't remember how close it will focus.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 16:12
Holy Jumpin' Jehosophat!! Is Kimber discontinuing their 22??  IS THIS THE END OF CIVILIZATION??!! 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 16:54
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Holy Jumpin' Jehosophat!! Is Kimber discontinuing their 22??  IS THIS THE END OF CIVILIZATION??!! 

They already did... again! 
I wonder if now the Kimber of America .22 will become as sought after by collectors as the previous Kimber of Oregon M82?
Ted

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 17:42
I am surprised you mention the 17HMR in the same context as the .22 LR. The .17 exceeds the LR in power and trajectory in every respect.
The .22 WMR is an excellent performer that is closer  to the .17. It doesn't shoot as flat but is better in the wind and penetrates better.
Here's my Ruger 77 in .22 WMR with a Leupold 3.5-10x50 AO. It is a bit better for the bigger stuff like coyote and fox than the .17 HMR. If you are only considering squirrels it is just another option. This scope has proven perfect for this guns purpose. It is used on close range vermin and doggies after dark.

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 22:38
Cheapt, RifleD & Tahqua,

Thanks for good responses.  Tahqua, I like that rifle you got there.  And for the Kimber idea-huh-I saw one in Cabellas on sale.  RifleD, I'd like to check out some of those unique rifles you mention.  Problem is finding them.  Only so many crazy people out there ready to shell for a .22.  I had a guy tell me was crazy for the .22 Mag.  Made me think.

I know I can find Kimber and Weatherby, if you had to pick, what would you go with?
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 11:57
I second the .22 WMR. Its a good round and the ammo costs around half as much as the same box of .17. Its also a true jacketed (not gilded) round and can now be easily found in the popular ballistic tip version. I went with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40mm on mine and its great. Some will say its too much scope but I don't think so. 10 yards to 100 its hard to beat.
RK
TheGlockman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGlockman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 15:54
Estimated friends:

I have a CZ 452 2E ZKM Varmint rifle in .17HMR caliber, with a  Bushenll Elite 4200 6x24x50 mil dot reticle rifle scope.   This is wonderful and very accurate  with 150metres 1" groups. Sometimes when the wind blows, I make corrections with the mil dots. I think this is a very good equipment.

Regards for you all.    
In Glock we trust.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 16:49
Personally, I like 22WMR the most of the rimfires that I have tried, but I know of quite a few people who swear by 17HMR. 

As for scopes, I think 3-9x scope with AO is probably the best choice.  There are several of them around.  I like Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x36AO quite a bit, personally.  If you want a higher end scope, any Kahles CL with side focus knob would do fine.

ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 00:20
They both have here place. .22wmr does have more thump but the accuracy of the .17 out to 150 yds is better than anything I have ever shot. The .17 is also better in wind out to 150 yds. because of its speed. Rats at the dump hate the HMR.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 07:51
i would have to strongly vote for 22LR - millions of different cartridges to choose from (and actually affordable ammo) and really fun out of an accurate bolt gun.

i just bought my 3rd 22LR last year - it was a CZ 452 varmint - really nice gun - great wood and action and drives tacks.  The trigger wasn't terrible, but i went ahead and got a riflebasix trigger kit and installed it myself (about 14oz w/ a clean break). I put a nikon prostaff on it (fixed 4 power) and couldn't be much happier. it's a pleasure to shoot paper or varmints. all in all - i have under 600 in this setup.  my 2 cents.

J
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 20:05
You cannot own too many 22s.  It's impossible. Smile
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 07:06
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

You cannot own too many 22s.  It's impossible. Smile

That has been proven by numerous scientific studies!
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 07:14

I know I can find Kimber and Weatherby, if you had to pick, what would you go with?

You can't go wrong with either.  Between those two, I would bet the Weatherby, with its Anschutz iron, will likely outshoot the Kimber, but I like the action, overall appearance, and the style of the Kimber better (I prefer Classic style stocks with satin finishes over glossy finished Monte Carlo stocks personally).  In that class of rimfire, I would get a Cooper M57-M, though.  I think it is perhaps the best rimfire you can buy, and it will shoot with the Anschutz.  If you shop around on the internet auction sites like gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.  One of our members here, Roy Finn has a gorgeous example of a Cooper 57M Custom Classic.  You should see it! 
Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 10:52
How does the Ruger 10/22 rate amongst all of these other fine rifle suggestions? Mine seems to be a nice little shooter for rabbits but just curious since it hasn't been mentioned. 

Edited by mike650 - April/17/2008 at 10:53
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic