OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver K4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver K4
    Posted: April/13/2008 at 18:26
I am looking for a 4x scope for my 223 rifle. Are the new K4 Weaver scopes worth the money or is there a better option for under 200 bucks?
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 18:35
The New K-4 is a great scope for the money ($110) fully multicoated lens, Japan made a with good glass and precise tracking.  I keep one for a back up scope, had it on a 35 Whelen for awhile only reason to change out I put a V-3 on for the larger FOV.

Downside is reports of Meade Optical being difficult to deal with for service.  I have five of the Meade Weavers and haven't needed any service.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 19:16
 That sounds like a solid endorsement. Thanks AWS!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 08:21
I too, have always thought that weaver provided a great scope for the money, I currently only have two, 4x mounted on a .22lr & 4.5-14 mounted on a 25-06, both have provided excellent service without any problems.  There are definatley better scopes out there, but I don't believe there are any scopes that provide better optics for the money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 08:42
Sightron S1 is about the same  price range and seems to be quite nice for the money.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Hungarian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 08:46

I wish there was a scale for rating 4x32 scopes. Pentax has one, weaver has one, sightron has one, leupold... etc. It's hard to decide when I can't compare them side by side. Anymore recommendations from guys who own 4x32 scopes? Thanks again

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 09:09
4x Zeiss Conquest!

til later
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 16:49
+1 on that. I should buy one too.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Hungarian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:19
Ok, I had a chance to look at a new K4 Weaver at a sporting goods store. This scope is junk. No better then my simmons blazer. Ahhh the search continues.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:36

If you can,take a look at the Nikon Buckmaster 4x40.  It's under $200 at SWFA or there are quite a few on the Samplelist for well under $150.

til later

Edited by 300S&W - April/17/2008 at 16:37
Hungarian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:39
Thanks...I will definately check them out.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:43
I would check out the http://www.swfa.com/pc-3614-94-leupold-4x33-fx-ii-riflescope.aspx

and the http://www.swfa.com/pc-10176-291-ior-4x32-hunting-rifle-scope.aspx. They are both very good scopes as is the Conquest.

Doug
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 08:22
Hungarian

Would you mind critiqueing JUNK.  What about the scope made you feel that it is a not a decent scope in your price range?  

AWS
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 09:39
      YEA REALLY! JUNKS kind of a short review. I bought a new K2.5x20 for my girls .243 Ruger Ultralight Carbine years back and it's a VERY nice scope. I even put it on my .300 for a while!

til later
Hungarian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 10:15

What I meant to explain is that there is no noticeable difference (to my eyes but note that I didn't have the scopes side by side)  between my simmons 25.00 dollar scope and the weaver 125.00 scope. Using the word "junk" was wrong. I mean they are not expensive scopes and I am sure they are well made for the money. It's just that for 100 bucks more I was expecting brighter and clearer optics and just didn't really see it. Maybe I am setting my sights too high and am looking for 400 dollar performance out of a 125.00 scope. Hope that explains things better.

AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:51
Thanks

No it isn't in the class of a $400 scope.   Mine has been a tuff and reliable scope and has been more than adaquate for coyote or deer hunting out to 300 yrd my personal distance limit.  The  35 Whelen that I had it on ate a Leupold Vari-II 1x4x20mm on the fifth shot.  I hope you find something.

AWS
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 18:41
Tough and indiscriminating crowd when it comes to chewing up someone's a$$ over opinionated comments.
My answer for your question would be the Pentax Gameseeker 4X32. You can buy it here on SWFA for about 90 US Pesos. I own a 4-12X40 and it's image rivals scopes costing twice as much.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 05:45
( hey, Hungarian! If you had said them fightin' words [ "Junk"] about a Leupold---this thread would go 24 pages!!!! )Shoot%20Out
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 07:20
HEY!! vgmhunor!  At first I thought that your avatar meant that you were a Christian hunter.........then last week I was prowling around a liquor store and discovered where that symbol came from!  HA!  Bandito     
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 17:57
I am christian. My church is the great outdoors, the only place you can be alone with your creator. It doesn't mean I shy away of the bottle with my avatar on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic