OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Oryx in NM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oryx in NM
    Posted: April/12/2008 at 22:09
I am not a trophy hunter - but since my living room is decorated in african art - I have a hankering to harvest an Oryx in NM  - meat, hide and horns .
Doe anyone have any experience - or recommendations re such a hunt?
Do - or do not, There is no "try".
Yoda
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 22:15
I didn't even know they had those in the US.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BlackSwan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 22:20
They were released onto the White Sands Missle range decades ago, and now number in the thousands - NM has a  draw hunt and there are special rules for applying to hunt on military ground - I have applied once - but did'nt make the draw.
 I see some outfitters listing them - so I am just looking for some feedback/recommendations. 
Yoda
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 08:50
Well, I know that drawing one of those tags is a once in a lifetime deal....you only get to have a license for Oryx ONE TIME.  Out of state will require you to hire a guide/outfitter.  After that, if you get the license, the only thing left is: I would recommend a 30/06 or 300 Winchester Magnum or something on that order.  Bring sunglasses.  Big%20Smile     --Ed 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:14

I think it's a lot easier to get tags for non-trophy animals, or at least cheaper rates from outfitters.  Apparently they fight a lot and many of the big males have broken/missing horns, making them a less valuable commodity. They are one of the more aggressive antelope species, and VERY tough.  As Ed suggests, use plenty of gun. I would lead toward the 30-06 as a minimum and would prefer a .338 or.375, (based only on what I've read about them.)
BlackSwan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:34
I will check into it again and see what happens. It is starting to sound like I might need another new rifle Wink. Maybe I should start getting one together just in case.

A few years ago the safari trips to South Africa were a real steal - you could get in and back for a 3-4 K and bring home some nice animals.  Then the USD took a slide and we are spending a lot of USPs (US pesos) to do anything fun these days.

Unfortunately I really have no room for more than just one set of horns - and frankly would find a broken/ unmatched pair more appealing.

I have been amazed how many of these animal products one can find on e-bay - but there is something about a hunt and the story of the hunt (not the e-bay hunt) that is important. I will apply again!
Yoda
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemsbok
according to wikipedia they released gemsbok to the white sands missle range not oryx

Edited by pyro6999 - April/13/2008 at 09:47
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:48
any who they weigh less than an elk i dont see a need to use a .375, 30 cal stuff should be plenty as long as you use a good quality bullet

Edited by pyro6999 - April/13/2008 at 09:48
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 10:48

Ditto with Pyro, anything from 30cal up should work fine,  7mm /w/ heavy bullets would probably work fine also.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 10:52
absolutely, even the 6.5mm stuff with a swift a frame would do the trick
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:31
Pyro, I figured the 6.5 would come into play, alittle light for me, but i'm sure it could work, especially in .264win/6.5rem.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:36
I used to love driving through the White Sands area and Alamogordo on my way down to Juarez, Mexico for R&R Devil 

A hunt in that area, for that animal would be terrific, I would think.

Seems I heard or read that you must also be accompanied by a military attaché during your hunt. I may certainly be wrong on that, but it makes sense that they wouldn't just let armed civilians run wild out there on that installation. 

Sounds like a cool hunt. Good luck and keep us informed.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:36
sure with a 140 gr swift a frame the .264 would be like using a 190gr out of a 30 cal
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:39
Sectional density is a determining factor, thats for sure, but I like a little more frontal area.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:43
thats fine, i wouldnt hesitate to use a 6.5mm and chris farris wouldnt either, i know he has taken his 6.5stw to africa and knocked off a lot of animals with one shot, even his ph was skeptical for a while towards the end he was very impressed with the "little" rifle
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 12:00
I think this would be a perfect time to use that 338 your contimplating.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 13:28
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I used to love driving through the White Sands area and Alamogordo on my way down to Juarez, Mexico for R&R Devil 

A hunt in that area, for that animal would be terrific, I would think.

Seems I heard or read that you must also be accompanied by a military attaché during your hunt. I may certainly be wrong on that, but it makes sense that they wouldn't just let armed civilians run wild out there on that installation. 

Sounds like a cool hunt. Good luck and keep us informed.
 I think you're right, Mark. Many of the oryx or gemsbok or whatever they are have broken thier horns by attacking military jeeps whose drivers venture too close. Punctured radiators are fairly common.
 In Africa lions are often impaled by them.  They are fairly serious animals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 13:57
Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 15:41
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

...on my way down to Juarez, Mexico for R&R Devil 

...and what would that entail, Mark?Wink
Loco

BTW, Re: Oryx vs. Gemsbock... those are interchangeable names for essentially the same animal.  A Gemsbock is classified as an Oryx.  They are a subspecies of the same Genus and NM calls them Oryx in their hunting regs.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 16:20
Ted, as much as I would love to share the details of my covert mission code named "Operation Hoochee Koochee" with you fine people here, due to the fact that mission is still classified by the US military and I'm bound by "operational security" (OPSEC) and can't divulge any intel because it may compromise national security.
I'm sure you understand.....American%20Flag
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic