OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for my new hunting rig???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for my new hunting rig???
    Posted: April/11/2008 at 13:08
Hoping to get some advice & suggestions regarding a rifle that needs a new scope. I have put together a "working man's" hunting rifle for deer, hogs & predators (along with a little range shooting) & I'm having a hard time deciding on an optic. Here's the build (very basic):
--Stevens 200 long action, .473 bolt face;
--Shilen Stainless "heavy sporter" contour in .260AI w/brake;
--factory stock & trigger (both worked over);
--action glass bedded;
--one piece picatinny base;

I'm going to paint the stock & barrel a break up camo. Basically this is to be my "go to" rifle for hunting in the rain or sitting in a blind. I agree that the factory stock leaves a lot to be desired BUT it is functional and is easy to work on to ensure a free floating barrel. I'm going to give it a try as I already have a B&C Carbelite stock in the closet in case the Stevens stock doesn't cut it.  I wanted a rifle that would be capable of shooting sub MOA, withstand somewhat rugged use, and take less than $600 out of my wallet (for the rifle alone).

Optic-wise, here are my priorities:
--clear, bright glass;
--rugged construction with excellent warranty;
--reliable tracking;
--reticle that is easy to see in low light and has one holdover point;
--less than $600;
--fixed or variable doesn't matter though I do not want a fixed over 6x;

Here is what I've been considering:
--Kahles 6x42 from samplelist;
--Conquest;
--"new" Monarch;
--Vortex (one from their "best" line);

Almost forgot.  Shots are going to be 300yds or closer 90% of the time.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I know there are probably 1,000 similiar topic on this board. Just want to know what people are recommending TODAY...

Thanks!
--Meopta Meostar;

Edited by ceylonc - April/11/2008 at 13:14
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 13:18
just curious and a bit off subject but why would you want a brake on a .308 based case? it not exactly a shoulder pounding round, but never the less to each his own. all of your choices are pretty good with exception of the vortex, i only say that because of the newness of the product, im not sure how it will stack up optically with your other choices either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 13:26
"reticle that is easy to see in low light and has one holdover point"

Does anybody make one of these?  I've never been interested in in the multi reticles because they all have 3 or 4 holdover points and I don't need that.  They are way too busy for me.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 13:40
I traded a guy for a Vortex Viper 2-7x 32, when I get it I will compare it to my 4200, IOR and Meopta scopes and post my opinions.  All the Vortex stuff I have looked through I have been pleasantly surprised with.

I have the Meopta Artremis and have been very pleased with it.  The glass is excellent and I recently used the warranty service as it developed a problem and I had a brand new scope in my hands in 11 days from when I sent it back.  Excellent service if you ask me, no questions asked and no charges.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

just curious and a bit off subject but why would you want a brake on a .308 based case? it not exactly a shoulder pounding round, but never the less to each his own. all of your choices are pretty good with exception of the vortex, i only say that because of the newness of the product, im not sure how it will stack up optically with your other choices either.

I completely agree!  I bought the barrel used and the original owner is who had the brake installed.  Out of the entire setup, the brake is the feature least useful for my purposes.  However, I wanted to give 260AI a try (I've own 2 standard .260 Remington rifles & am a HUGE fan of the caliber) and this barrel was available without a wait at a great price.

The Vortex line intrigues me quite a bit for this rifle.  I have heard great things about the glass and the warranty is supposedly unlimited.

Regarding a holdover reticle, I should have been more clear.  While I would love to see a reticle with just one holdover point, I'll go with any reticle that has multiple holdover points so long as they are visible in low light.

Thanks!  Looking foward to further replies...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 17:00
that makes more sense, im not sure but talk to cheap i think he has spent some time with the vortex scopes.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 17:17

...im not sure but talk to cheap i think he has spent some time with the vortex scopes.

Koshkin has.  I don't have any experience with their scopes, but I do have a Vortex Razor 8X42 binocular, and it is an awesome optic!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 15:00

that makes more sense, im not sure but talk to cheap i think he has spent some time with the vortex scopes.

Never seen one, but Ted's right, Koshkin has.

Good luck, C!!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 15:03
i thought you borrowed one from duce??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 15:06

i thought you borrowed one from duce??

That was a FFP "Vector" scope. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 15:07
oh i thought you said vortex, my bad!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 08:44
Sounds like a great project,  I kind of like the idea of using a vortex scope, seeing you are kind of going in uncharted territory with the rifle it would be great to give the vortex a try and then report back on how everything came together.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 17:14
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Sounds like a great project,  I kind of like the idea of using a vortex scope, seeing you are kind of going in uncharted territory with the rifle it would be great to give the vortex a try and then report back on how everything came together.

Honestly, I am leaning toward the Vortex Viper. I agree with you and like the idea of going into "uncharted territory" with this build. 
I haven't 100% decided yet but am thinking that the Vortex Viper would be a great scope for my needs.  It also has an different type of holdover reticle that interests me...  Here's a pic:

Edited by ceylonc - April/14/2008 at 17:21
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic