OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rangefinders weather sensitive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rangefinders weather sensitive?
    Posted: April/10/2008 at 18:20
I was using a Leica LRF 1200 yesterday, and saw some of the worst mirage I've ever seen. I was having a hard time getting a range at 500 yards. I was trying to range a black truck, which was my bad, but I have successfully ranged deer at over 800 yards with this unit when it was cooler. I was wondering what effect mirage, rain and snow have on units like these? I also had a hard time getting a range one time when it was windy and dust was blowing. Maybe I should replace the battery? Even though the battery indicator doesn't say it is bad.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 00:02
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I was using a Leica LRF 1200 yesterday, and saw some of the worst mirage I've ever seen. I was having a hard time getting a range at 500 yards. I was trying to range a black truck, which was my bad, but I have successfully ranged deer at over 800 yards with this unit when it was cooler. I was wondering what effect mirage, rain and snow have on units like these? I also had a hard time getting a range one time when it was windy and dust was blowing. Maybe I should replace the battery? Even though the battery indicator doesn't say it is bad.

Can't help you with the LFF but I've used the CRF under the conditions you've mentioned except snow and it's performed flawlessly. I would think any device, range finder, camera, etc.,  would eventually become battery challenged when exposed to harsh snow environments.

Edited by mike650 - April/11/2008 at 07:17
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 08:17
the amount affected by obstructions differs with each range finder, and the capacitance charge by the battery.  a leo 3 I use has a filter for rain and switches electronically back or forth. the swaro I use will blast thru most of it. leicas have a very good reputation so I'm betting on the battery. The leo I use needs a new battery when the battery indicator shows "half full".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic