OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Laminate stock finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laminate stock finish
    Posted: April/09/2008 at 23:33
I have a model 700 lss and was wondering how to take off the high gloss then I will spray back a matte clear coat should I use fine sandpaper or steel wool?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 09:05
You will have to start off with fine sand paper, maybe even a medium. Maybe a grit 200, working your way up to a grit 800. The current finish on your stock will be varnish, which will block up the sandpaper in no time. You need to remove the high gloss finish totally, then use a sanding sealer to cover sand marks. Then re-coat two or three times, depending on thickness of coats.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 10:04

I would use  0000 steel wool or 1200+ grit sand paper. I would go lightly untill you get to the stain of the wood. Just be easy around the buttplate , trigger gaurd or you might take to much off and it will have a lip.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out and pictuers will be needed also.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kubie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 08:45
Another idea would be to wet sand the present finish until glassy smooth then rub it out with a cloth first dipped in linseed oil then rottenstone. The more oil on the cloth the faster the rottenstone cuts.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by nitis nitis wrote:

I have a model 700 lss and was wondering how to take off the high gloss then I will spray back a matte clear coat should I use fine sandpaper or steel wool?

nitis, 

I was wondering if you had done anything yet? If you haven't I strongly recommend going slow depending on how particular you are about the finished look. I you just want a satin clear as you described try just scuffing the finish with steel wool to give the new coat a good bond. I started young doing stock work for my Dad who owned a gun shop way back. Most of my work involved stripping to the wood and refinishing. Or finishing a replacement stock. If your project clouds under the new spray you may find yourself living with it or having to take it to the wood and refinish. Good luck! If I can help I would be glad to.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 03:05
 True sarge ... just steel wool it till the shine disappears . Or use super fine sandpaper .... body shop supply sales can show you which one . If you knock the glaze only off I see no reason to reapply a different coat .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 01:26
It's important to have laminated stocks completely sealed for protection from moisture.  I agree with 8shots, 2 or 3 re-coats.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:27
Very true Timber. If he just scuffs the surface for a good bond he shouldn't compromise the seal. Make it Purdy Bucky
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 22:01
We use BASF car paint and a 2K clear we wet sand starting out at 800 then 1200 between coats and then polish on show cars.  Don't know about doing it to a stock.  Also make sure it's immaculate before you start spraying it with anything, once you think it's clean, clean it again!!!  The more coats of clear, gives a deeper looking finish, but it's also prone to cracking so on something I want to be durable I'd go lite.   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 22:53
 I surely don't see where taking the sheen off a high gloss finish will unseal it ... unless you don't know what you're doing ! In that case you should'nt be doing it yourself anyway . Have painted bucu autos and other items for years and unless you go nuts on the sanding it won't unseal the finish . And if you do put on a second  finish make sure it's compatable with what's on there or you'll have a lousey gummy ... cloudy or wrinkled finish .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic