OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vx lll 4.5-14 or burris ss 4-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vx lll 4.5-14 or burris ss 4-16
    Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:29

I have a 257wby. Will be used for deer out to 400yds.

doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:40
 Both are good. Personally, at 400 yards I would want the extra magnification of the 4-16x over the 4.5-14x. Burris is good quality just as Leupold is.  Good luck.
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:47
On the burris if i turn the a.o infinity will it be clear at 50-400.Or will i have to adjust it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:48
toss up for me here
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:57
I had a nikon buckmaster before. Did not like it. It was a 4.5-14 did not like the a.o on it it tuned real hard.Very clear in the day time but sucked in low light. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 22:17
My vote goes to the Sig Sel.  The extra magnification is nice, but not necessary.  Good glass, 4x erector vs 3x on the leupy, rugged.  I personally prefer the side parallax to the AO.  The sig sel, should be fine for the low light.  Either way, you will get a good scope.

For the price range you are looking at, I would also suggest looking at the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16.  Good glass, and you get the advantage of raingaurd.  and if you get the 40 mm objective, you also get side focus vs AO.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 22:23
Are the 4200 real that good.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 22:38
Originally posted by wildcat wildcat wrote:

Are the 4200 real that good.

The ones I've seen are very nice scopes. I was literally astounded at the optical performance of them, specially at the price point. I can vouch for thier toughness, too.    Also, the Rainguard feature is quite effective, according to a majority of reports, it seems.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 22:52
I was skeptical until I got a 4200.  I was amazed at how good they are.  The glass is as good as the sig sel, if not better.  The raingaurd is worth every penny you pay.  They are tough and rugged.  And I believe they cost less that the sig sel and vx-III (didn't check, but i would just about bet on it).  They are the best deal out there right now, in my opinion.  Even if you don't get one, you should look at them.  I think you will be very surprised.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 23:06

I will take a look at the 4200.Only good scope i ever had was a leupold varix lll 3.5-10-40.But that was 14 years ago.It was asome in low light looking over a cut corn field. But not real bright in the daytime?????Got laid off and sold a weatherby mark v and the scope . But if i can find something as good  as that leupold for less i am all for it

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 23:53
Helo is correct, the elite 4200 is that good, you'd also save some money.  I mounted a 4200 4-16x40 on a 270wsm and its just about perfect.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 17:32
Thanks for the help. I think i will try the bushnell.I did not know if you did not like it you could send it back with in a year.WHAT A DEAL! Nothing to lose  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 17:33
i put one on my .264 win mag and i havent used it in the field yet but its a nice scope im sure it will be fine in the field this fall
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 21:42
You've had good posts and advise.  I am a strong proponent of Signature Selects and have also had great service from Leupold.  The thing I like about the VX III is the LR scope is a 30mm tube.  The Signature Select is a 1" tube.
Other than that, It's almost awash.  I might give a little edge to the VX III for eye relief.  Burris scopes, in the past, have been a little limited on lateral movement in the rings.  I say that while owning several Signature Selects and have no problems with them at all.
Bottom line is that it will be a personal choice for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 22:58

Thanks for the help. I think i will try the bushnell.I did not know if you did not like it you could send it back with in a year.WHAT A DEAL! Nothing to lose  
...............................Got a 3x9 4200 myself sitting nicely on a 300 WSM! Its best selling point IMO, is the Rainguard feature. I also have used this same scope on a 375 Ruger! You will have no issues with eye relief as far as a 257 Wby. is concerned!....... For the features, there is no finer scope on the market for the money!Wink 
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 14:21

What about the zeiss conquest 3-9x40. Is 9 power enough out to 450yds.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 14:57

What about the zeiss conquest 3-9x40. Is 9 power enough out to 450yds.

............ The 9x is good enough to 450 yards! Last year, I took a nice piggy sow at 342 yards with my 3x9. Setting was on 8x. But if you feel better with a 4x16 4200, go with that!............With the exception of a fraction in the brightness category, the 4200`s give up nothing to the Zeiss Conquests. Originally, had they been priced the same; sure, I would have gone with the Zeiss myself. However, I personally could not justify the extra $100........But for your 257 Wby. if given the same money, I`d rather have a 4x16 Elite 4200 w/Rainguard vs the 3x9 Conquest!! That is,, if it were me!.........BTW! Assuming you know some, don`t be bamboozled by the anti-Bushnell crowd who will never touch a Bushnell. The 4200`s have been and are, a totally new ball game!!!..........I could tell a few great stories from piggy huntin camps about some of the cement headed Bushnell detractors!
wildcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 21:07
When with the elite 4200 2.5-10-40.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 21:20
you will be happy you did
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic