OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice on Swarovski/Lecia bino's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texsagerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Swarovski/Lecia bino's
    Posted: April/09/2008 at 03:40
Looking at purchasing some new bino's and pretty much settled on the Swarovskis SLCs or Leica's Ultravid's. They'll be used for bow hunting in Iowa and glassing in Alaska (US military is moving me north). My eyes are perfect and I've got a swarovski spotter already (love it). I'm pretty hard on equipment (I've got 2 left feet) but know good glass really helps.

Big questions that I'm looking for advice on are as follows:

Swarovski 8X30's--enough light for rainy days/low light?
Swarovski 7X42s Vs 10X42s - recommended power for the types of hunting I do? To bulky for bowhunting Vs the 8X30s?
Leica Ultravids Vs the Swarovski's?

I'm leaning right now toward the Swarovski 10X42s but before I went over the edge I thought to put this out.
The Swarovski EL side w/ the color clarity isn't a big deal with me but overall clarity and light transmission are biggies.

Thanks
Dan
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 05:19
I owuld look at the 7x42 SLC's then the 8x30 SLC's.. both of these can be had cheaper than leica.
I have owned leica ultravid 7x42, 8x42, zeiss fl 8x42, pentax dcf sp 10x42, dcf wp 8x42, and I settled on and prefer the 7x42 SLCnew...got them new for around $1100 last year.
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 08:35
I myself have looked through the Leicas, Zeiss, Swarovski, and the top of the line Nikons when I was looking for a pair of hunting binoculars.  I perfered the Swarovski's myself they just fit my eyes better and were less expensive then the others mentioned.  Not to mention now the SLC's have the same glass in them as the EL's do or so the factory reps at Swarovski told me.  I liked the 8x30's for their weight and size but the 7x42 do showed more light and detail closer to dark.  The 10x were hard for me to hold steady and I personally liked the 7x.  If I were bow hunting only with the binoculars I would probably have chosen the 8x30's but I rifle hunt and I want something to give me the best lighting near dusk and dawn.  Not to mention that Swarovski has the best customer service in the business period!  You can't go wrong with Swarovski.  Good luck in your search.  Thanks, bird_hunter
Birdhunter
Cracker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by birdhunter birdhunter wrote:

Not to mention now the SLC's have the same glass in them as the EL's do or so the factory reps at Swarovski told me.  
Glass is the same in all german-austrian brands - made by SCHOOT. Japanese brands buy glass from Sumita. Coating and construction makes the difference.

Not to mention that Swarovski has the best customer service in the business period!  You

Same as others. Never noticed any difference.
Texsagerd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texsagerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 11:41
Thanks Guys....
It seems that the 10X binos may be a bit "shakey" for close in bow hunting?

Thanks again....
Dan
Bartond View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 13:29
Texsagerd,

You really can't go wrong with either company. Both produce fine optical instruments but one thing you might want to consider is that Leica binoculars have a superior waterproof rating to Swarovski. Durability has always been one of the feathers in Leica's cap and waterproofing will be important if you use your bino's up in Alaska.

You really might want to look at an 8x32 or 8x42 for what it sounds like you'll be using the binocular for. I personally love 8x32's for the compact size, lightweight frame, and massive field of view they provide. Compare the 8x32 Ultravid BR or new 8x32 Ultravid HD with the EL or 8x30 SLC and see which one you like.

10x42's are right on the verge for me as far as shaking goes. I tend to have hand shake anyways so although I can hold a 10x42 steady enough with two hands, a lot of the time when I'm stalking I pull a binocular up with one hand for a quick check of a thicket or shadowy area. Sometimes a 10x binocular shakes to much in this case. If I were you I would go with 8x and not look back.

Just some things to think about.
Get outside...
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 20:24
Bartond, try differerent models. My 10x40s shake the least when the heaviest. So what do I use, 8x32. Go figure. But I have the 10x42 in the car if needed.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 23:10
Originally posted by Cracker Cracker wrote:

Not to mention that Swarovski has the best customer service in the business period!  You

Same as others. Never noticed any difference.

Not true, example: trying dealing with Kahles these days.

IMHO and experiences Swarovski rivals Leupold in customer service and I would go as far as to say their better than Leupold. The turn around time for work is amazing and they definetely go the extra mile for you.

Edited by mike650 - June/30/2008 at 23:23
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 23:19
Originally posted by Texsagerd Texsagerd wrote:

Thanks Guys....
It seems that the 10X binos may be a bit "shakey" for close in bow hunting?

Thanks again....
Dan

Bow hunting, I think you'll be very happy with the 8x30's, light and compact, I have set and they work just fine. If you have the extra dinero, the Leica Ultravid HD Binoculars in 8x32's are getting some rave reviews on this site.

A second set in 7x42 or 8x42 would be nice to have. +1 on the 7x42SLC's

I do use 10x42's for certain hunting scenarios and when I need the extra power but not bow hunting.

Edited by mike650 - June/30/2008 at 23:55
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic