OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA Scopes?
    Posted: April/07/2008 at 03:14
Hello,

I'm returning to hunting after too many years.  I've decided to get started on some coyote hunting.  I live in northern Nevada and coyotes abound.  I've decided on a .22-250 for my caliber and a 4-16x40 for my scope size.

Question,  and this may sound dumb,  but has anyone used BSA scopes?  They seem fairly priced.  What are the general opinions on BSA?  

I know Leopold and Zeiss are the top brands,  but I don't want to spend too much cash.   I've decided on Tikka for the rifle and they get GREAT reviews and are modestly priced.  

Any recommendations regarding BSA and suggestions for a new yote hunter would be greatly appreciated.   Perhaps there is a good website for newbie coyote hunters?  

Thanks
NH

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 03:27
http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php
Coyote hunting forum.

Do you have a certain budget for optics?

Welcome to The OT.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 06:41
I would definitely stay away from anything made by BSA.  I've used 3 of them on friends' rifles and all 3 left a lot to be desired.  On 1, the optics were so terrible, I had to take breaks from shooting because it gave me a headache.  On 2 others, not only were the optics terrible, but the reticle came loose during the initial sight-in of the rifle.

You get what you pay for.  IMHO, you cannot get a decent riflescope for less than about $150.

Let us know what your budget is and we can provide some recommendations.

For a decent quality economy priced scope, I would look at the Sightron S1 series.
Or, for a little more $, the Bushnell 3200 series.

Both of which are infinitely better than BSA.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 07:35
Ditto Would pass on the BSA. Put one on a .17 HMR and it can't even hold a zero for one shooting session. Give us a budget and we can go from there.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 08:28

I would look at Sightron SI ,,Bushnell  Trophy ( very reasonably priced ) , Legend or 3200 series, Weaver V series , Nikon Pro Staff or Burris Fullfield II ..All can be had for under $200 ... Rifledude nailed it  cost wise ...

NewHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 11:12
Thanks everyone for the replies and the great coyote link.

My price range is $200-250 for the scope.   

I've gathered thus far that BSA seems to be a brand to avoid.  Which explains the absense of almost ANY reviews about BSA.  I thought that was kind of odd.

It's been so long since I've been hunting,  I was suprized to learn tha Winchester no longer makes lever action .30-30s(I was not planning to use a 30-30 on yotes,  it's just a lot of fun to look at rifles again.  LOLOL)
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 14:41
As ye `ol saying goes,,,,,"Ya get what whatcha pay for"................BSA & Barfska???Puker
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 14:45
The 22-250 is a GREAT caliber you should do justice to it buy a GOOD scope for the gun. GOOD SCOPE + GOOD GUN = Happy shooter. With a 250.00 budget you will be able to get a GOOD scope. BUT I would stay away fro BSA...........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic