OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 3200, or Nikon Primos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 3200, or Nikon Primos
    Posted: April/06/2008 at 22:20

Looking to top off my newly acquired Tikka T3 chambered in 270 Win. I've basically narrowed it down to the Nikon Primos, or a Bushnell Elite 3200. I have several Nikon's and I'm very happy with them, but because this will be my "bad weather" rifle, I'm drawn towards the Bushnell with it's rainguard. I do however have some apprehensions as I've associated Bushnell with lesser quality scopes such as Simmons. Since I was young I've always categorized bushnell as a cheap pos scope, for some reason.

In closing, it's going on a Tikka T3 270, and will be used in nasty rain, and snow. Excellent light gathering at dawn and dusk are also important. I've already decided on a 3-9x40.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 22:42
I know SWFA is offering a great deal on the Primos right now, but they are also selling the 3-9x40 4200 for $249 kinda unadvertised so to speak. Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, but you did emphasize Rainguard and very good low light performance. I'm not familiar with the Primos, however.

Roy
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 22:47
Bushnell 3200 models and up are excellent values and very well made ( no worries there ) . The Nikon Primos will have a slight edge optically on the 3200 ( also has a BDC reticle vs Plex on the 3200) but lacks rainguard  . Street prices on the 3200 will be a little  less than the Primos"s $200. I would however, spring for the extra $50 and go with the 4200 Elite 3x9 and get the great optics and rainguard.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 23:19
Originally posted by cad cad wrote:

Looking to top off my newly acquired Tikka T3 chambered in 270 Win. I've basically narrowed it down to the Nikon Primos, or a Bushnell Elite 3200. I have several Nikon's and I'm very happy with them, but because this will be my "bad weather" rifle, I'm drawn towards the Bushnell with it's rainguard. I do however have some apprehensions as I've associated Bushnell with lesser quality scopes such as Simmons. Since I was young I've always categorized bushnell as a cheap pos scope, for some reason.

In closing, it's going on a Tikka T3 270, and will be used in nasty rain, and snow. Excellent light gathering at dawn and dusk are also important. I've already decided on a 3-9x40.
..........As a 3x9 4200 owner myself, you will be more pleased with the 4200 than with the 3200 or the Primos. Yes! Many still associate the Bushnells of old with todays series of 3200`s and 4200`s..... For your purposes and in the weather you`ll be hunting in, the Elite 4200 will be the best choice for the money on the market!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 08:48
The 3-9x40 4200 all the way. Great glass for the money and Rainguard works great for keeping the glass water and fog free. 
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 20:20
As others have said I would go for Rainguard no matter yo choose 4200 or 3200.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 20:23
not me if he's choosing between the 3200 and the primos i take the primos, better glass, 4200 vs primos, rain guard set aside optically they are a dead heat in my eyes, the 4200 is a nice scope, but i dont know if its worth the extra $100 the primos is a good scope too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Danny106 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 12:12
YippeeI will add my 2 cents in with the 4200 replies. For $258 & $2.69 handling fee,  you can walk away with the 4200 in 3X9X40 from competitor and get a set of Bushnell Binos in the deal. 4200's have reputed 95% light gathering and it doesn't get any better than that. Unlike the 3200 series, all lenses are FULLY multi coated, they are rugged (tested to 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H, they hold their zero, great warranty. optics are top notch and for the price, it has to be the best buy in the mktplace right now. In some circles it is rated as a 4**** scope and shares that company with Zeis Conquest, Burris Signature Select, etc., yes priced considerabley LESS, at least right now.

Dan Wafer
Dan
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 12:40
I vote for the 3-9X40 4200 as well!  For $249.95, best deal going.  SWFA will treat you right!
take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I vote for the 3-9X40 4200 as well!  For $249.95, best deal going.  SWFA will treat you right!
.............................................ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 18:24
Another vote for the Elite 4200 3-9x40, recently purchased one and took it to the range for the first time last weekend. My bud that came with had a Luepy VXIII an he commented how clear it was. Was able to clearly see holes on paper from my buds .223 at 100 yds something impossible with the POS I took off the rifle. Sighting in took about 5 shots useing the old look down the barrel bore sight method to get it on paper. Adjustments seemed very precise. Couldn't be happier so far, hoping to try it out on prarie dogs this weekend!!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 19:00
I wouldn't buy the "Team Primos" scope just because it is labeled "Team Primos." 

I hate corporate sponsored stuff like that.

So, I wouldn't buy the old PSE or the current Bear bows from "Team Primos." 
I laughed my dad to scorn when he showed me his new "Gettin' Close with Lee and Tiffany" Nikon Coolpix camera package.
Although I would like an Argo all-terrain-vehicle, I wouldn't buy the "Jim Shockey signature edition."
etc., etc., etc.

I know; that's not a very valid reason to shun any particular product but, I just think corporate sponsorship is way too rampant nowadays.

Oh yeah, I definitely would put in one more vote for the Elite products.  The 3-9x40 @ $250 would be hard to pass up.

Edited by lucznik - April/08/2008 at 19:02
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 19:24
Personally I see nothing wrong with the 3200.  It will meet your needs optically and has the rainguard that you want and keeps it in your price bracket.  I have a 3200 in a fixed 10x and love it.  I have compared it casually against my other scopes and holds up very well.  Now it is a fixed power and simpler to make, but you cannot go wrong with the 3200 and SWFA will stand behind their sale.  Save the money and put into a good pair of Warne rings for the Tikka.  Although, I am not opposed to the supplied Tikka rings.  Then, save the money for some reloading supplies or other paraphernalia.  Tell us what you end up buying.
cad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 19:09
Thanks guys, it looks the 4200 is almost unanimous. I'll probably order one tonight.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 21:34
I've not read the thread but I'm a big believer in Bushnell 3200/4200 scopes.  you will be happy with your decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic