OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett DMS 1x4x24mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett DMS 1x4x24mm
    Posted: April/05/2008 at 16:55
I'm a coyote caller and do alot of close in shooting with occasional shots out to 300yds.  I usually use low power variables, Nikon Monarch 1.5x4.5x20, Leupold VX-II 1x4x20mm , Sightron II 1.5x6x42mm and Weaver V-3.  The Millett DMS 1x4x24mm looks like it would be and ideal scope for my kind of shooting.    I've tried Burris FF-II and Swift 2x7 scope and found them wanting on clarity at long range.

How would you rate the Millett DMS as to clarity at distance?  The Sightron, Nikon and Leupold will show a 2" black square to have clear sharp edges at 300yds. The Burris, Swift and Weaver will not but the Weaver is sharper than the other two at 200 yrd and I keep it on a short range rifle.

Would the dot in a donut cover too much of the target in the 100-300 yd range?

Thanks
AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 18:11
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I took the liberty of sending our resident Millet rep a PM in regards to your inquiry. Hopefully he'll be able to help you out.

Good shooting!   
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 19:32
Hello

I do not know about the 2" sq. test but I do know that the donut will cover 12" at 100 and 36 " at 300 on the out side and 10" at 100 and 30" at 300.  of course you have the 1 moa dot for fine shooting at longer range.  The post at the bottom of the donut is a good 0 for 500 with the 62 gr. 

hope this helps.

Steve
Millett
Steve
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 20:42

I believe Koshkin likes this scope, and he knows his stuff. Inside and out.
 Might be worth a P.M. to get his observations on its' clarity, etc.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 00:14
DMS-1 is a good scope.  I have one and I am very happy with it.

In terms of clarity, it is about on par with Fullfield II scopes that I have played with.

The biggest strengths of DMS-1 is in true 1x at the low end and very fast reticle.  The eye is really drawn to the circle-dot arrangement.

ILya
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 01:16

Thank you.

I've played with a few low powerred FF-II scopes and they have lacked the clarity that I need.  To find that coyote or cat holding behind a sage bush or in the rocks, you need to be able to pick out an eye or tell the difference between the top line of a back and a horizontal branch.  I'm not advocating using a scope to glass with but after you see a critter stop moving you have to find him for the shot.

Thanks

AWS
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 15:24
If you need good glass and illuminated reticle visible in bright light, your least expensive (though still quite expensive) choices are Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 with K-Dot and  Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24.

If you are willing to give up on illumination, take a look at Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20.  It is a great little scope with very clear and sharp glass.

ILya
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 15:45
Any thoughts on the new Bushnell 4200 1.25x4x24mm.

The Sightron might be it, They don't make the 1.5x6x42 it is the best of the ones I'm running right now.

AWS
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 15:57
Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 is indeed very good and optically Sightron S2 Big Sky and Elite 4200 are comparable.  If you are trying to make things out though slightly higher magnificaiton of the SIghtron may come in useful.  On the other hand Elite 4200 will be better in low light due to a thicker reticle, larger objective lens and an illuminated dot.

ILya
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 16:06
Thanks again

I'm thinking the lighted dot and clear glass for hunting coyotes and cats out on the Olympic Penninsula, lots of overcast/rain days and a very heavy overstory.   I'm pretty well set up for sage/ desert and the dry side forests.

I will give the Meopta and Bushnell a serious look.

Thanks again

AWS
skeetlee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 18:15
I have the 4200 1.25x4. It is with out question the clearest scope i have ever used. I killed a yote at 367 yard this winter with it on 4 power, it kicks the crap out of the millett! but it cost more as well. very very nice glass. good luck finding one! Lee
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 20:55
yeah, I have checked around trying to find one, no luck
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 13:49
ccoker

Cabelas has them in stock at $369 on their on line catalog.  I have to pay shipping and sales tax here so I'm going to try and find a better deal.  Plus I've got to find anothe $100 for the scope fund.

AWS

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 19:06
I saw that too...
have you looked at the Burris Euro 1.5-6 with the ill ret in a German #4?
I ordered one today, I talked with SWFA yesterday and they didn't have a few options I was interested in
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 14:48
I am not overly impressed with the glass quality in the Millett.  I considered the 4200 but they had JUST come out and I couldn't find one.

patience: maybe I'll learn it someday.

Having said that, I do like Millett's illuminated reticule, very nice for killing hogs in low light.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 20:45
I pulled the trigger on a Bushnell 1.25-4 today
going to use it on my AR next weekend doing some night time varmint hunting
will post feedback by middle of next week once I have it in and sighted in

I will be using a red or amber lensed spot light and so the lit reticle is not REALLY needed but it can't hurt

I also have a Euro Diamon 1.5-6 lit ret coming in

will post feedback on both
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic