OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

glock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glock
    Posted: April/04/2008 at 13:58
Glock 27 .40SW

thoughts on this cal and model glock
 Whats the pro's and con's on them?
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:01
Pro: it is small and conceals easily
Con: it is so small it kicks like a bee-och
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:02
So I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for my small framed wife.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:04
I would get a 23, I found the 27 to have some serious muzzle flip.  Or else the 9mm version of the gun.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:29

That a thought. What would be another good model for a small hand?

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - April/04/2008 at 14:52

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:45
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the 19 and 23. I just want to buy once so all the info I can get will be usefull.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:49
You could get a XD sub compact in 9mm or a M&P compact.

I think the problem lies with the .40 round.  It is a higher pressure round than the 9 or .45 and flips that muzzle back more.  I had a 3" 1911 .45 that doesn't seem like it had as much muzzle flip as my G23.  Not that these small guns cannot be controlled, it just takes more isometric tension to tame the flip.

Most people who buy these mini guns to use as their primary CCW gun end up adding the magazines with big extensions on them.  Which in turn makes them harder to conceal and defeats the whole purpose of the small gun.  What they end up with is a gun that is pretty much the same size and the next size up but just a slightly shorter barrel that causes the gun to have more muzzle flip.  I don't know how many people I have seen in handgun classes that come with G27s and end up not liking them.  First they retire all the short mags and old use the ones with the extension.  Then by the end of the class they have decided to get a 22, a 23, or a 35 because that little 27 is just to much gun to handle and is to rough on them. 

I think they have there place for deep cover or as a BUG (back up gun) but I think there are much better choices for a primary CCW gun or a training gun.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:56
Another gun that I think could be great are some of the Kahr models.  But I have never actually seen one that is reliable.  I have an E9 and where it is a single stack and it has a long enough grip for even my hands it is a great concealment gun.  But is has reliability issues.   Also once when I was shooting it the whole extractor mechanism just blew apart and shot all over the ground.  There has been several other students and front sight try them and never has one of them been able to make it through a 4 day class without some kind of serious problem that required tools to fix. 
One guy sent his back to Kahr 4 or 5 times for repair and they could never get it working for him.  So they finally sent him a new one but it had the exact same problems as the original. 
They have a lot of potential as a CCW gun if they could just make them reliable.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 14:59
 I can 100% garentee it will ge tbeat around and use ALOT. I want something thats going to work when I need it to. In the shop I work at I mainly do rifle stuff. I see tons of kimbers,tarus's and a few other come in for repairs but not many glocks at all.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 15:05
Ya, I think a Glock is a good weapon.  Simple to work on and they just shoot and shoot and shoot.  I did have an odd problem happen with my one 23 during the last class I took with it.  I was taking the class left handed and some how I did not notice it happening, but my trigger started getting stiffer and stiffer.  Not sure what the heck I was thinking to miss this but I did.  But when I came back from lunch on our first string the could not even pull the trigger back, it was frozen in place.  So I went and took it apart and it was so dry that is froze up.  It only had about 400 rounds since the last cleaning but I guess that was enough.  I sprayed some powder blast into the trigger and dried it out and put a drop of oil on it and it worked perfect for the rest of the class. 
The instructors said they had never seen a glock do that.  But I guess even glocks can have problems.  It was a good incentive for me to always keep it clean and have a bit of oil on it.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 15:07
yup thats the main problem I have with most all gun in the shop NO oil and rusting or to much and catching every thing from carbon to sand/dirt in them and locking them up.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - April/04/2008 at 15:16

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 15:42
The G19 is an excellent choice. It conceals easily and has good handling. It is a bit larger than the baby Glock's and much easier to shoot well.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 17:00
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The G19 is an excellent choice. It conceals easily and has good handling. It is a bit larger than the baby Glock's and much easier to shoot well.

Thunbs%20Up
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 17:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Another gun that I think could be great are some of the Kahr models.  But I have never actually seen one that is reliable.  I have an E9 and where it is a single stack and it has a long enough grip for even my hands it is a great concealment gun.  But is has reliability issues.   Also once when I was shooting it the whole extractor mechanism just blew apart and shot all over the ground.  There has been several other students and front sight try them and never has one of them been able to make it through a 4 day class without some kind of serious problem that required tools to fix. 
One guy sent his back to Kahr 4 or 5 times for repair and they could never get it working for him.  So they finally sent him a new one but it had the exact same problems as the original. 
They have a lot of potential as a CCW gun if they could just make them reliable.

I had never heard that about the Kahrs.  Everything I've ever read or heard about them has been positive.  I know that NYPD authorizes them for off duty use by their officers. 

I have a 9mm Kahr and it is definitely a joy to carry.  I haven't had any problems yet though, I admittedly don't shoot much lately.   I sure hope the problems you have seen are not indicitive of the entire brand line.  

I like Glocks.  I've owned, I think, five including the G27.  I never found any of them difficult to shoot but, they are a bit too large (even the subcompacts) for real easy concealed carry when it's hot outside.  At least they are for my 5'6" 130# frame.   The problem comes from their doublestack magazines.  It makes the gun too fat to comfortably slip into a trouser pocket and often it's just too hot for wearing a vest or jacket for concealment purposes.

Edited by lucznik - April/04/2008 at 17:34
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 18:26
I carry a G20 10mm in an Alessi PCH under a T-shirt in the summer and it is not a problem. Granted it is a large frame 10mm, but a high quality holster does wonders for concealment.
The G19 is real easy to hide under a T-shirt. It is my EDC gun in warm weather.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 20:00
get the 26 its a sweetie.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 04:10
The 26 is an excellent choice, also. Being a 9mm, it is a lot easier to handle than the .40 in the same size. With the proper ammo the 9mm is no slouch, either.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 06:11
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

get the 26 its a sweetie.

Excellent suggestion, Dale.

The G26 will be my next pistola. Easier for carry than my old G17. 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2008 at 22:33
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9949&PN=1
 This thread was very helpful to me in making my handgun choice, Bigdaddy.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2008 at 09:32
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to reread it again and again. Then I'm going to the store to rub on a few and then see witch one makes my heart flutter.

To many guns not enough money.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic