OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 8x binocular in the 200-350 price range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 8x binocular in the 200-350 price range
    Posted: April/02/2008 at 23:11

I am looking at buying a set of binoculars to use for hunting deer and elk in the often times dark and thick brush of the Northwest.  I have considered Nikon Monarch, Vortex Fury, and the Leupold Olympics.  What do you guys like in this price range and why. Thanks
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 23:40
The Minox BL 8x42 BR's are nearly the exact same specs as the Nikon Monarch, but better.  I've compared them and find them better, as did someone else who did a review on here awhile back.  If you'd be interested, I found a pair for $279, as opposed to the $400 they go for most places.  Needless to say, I bought 'em.  I don't really need them, I just wanted to compare them to my other Minox 10x42's.  They've literally been out of the box once.  I really like both sets of Minox's, but need to sell one or the other.  Let me know if you're interested.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 08:09
I'd highly recommend a 6X instead of 8X.  The Leupold 6X32 Katmai would be great for you.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 09:07
I purchased a pair of OLYMPUS MAGELLAN EXWP-I 10x42 for 200.00. I have found these to be exceptional binos for the money. They are crisp, clear, fast focus and the edge to edge clarity is good. IMHO for the MONEY you would not be disappointed. I have a pair of Leupold Mesa 10x50 same price range and IMHO the OLYMPUS are the better of the two.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
deerkiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 20:38
JASON MILLER:  Thanks for the offer and information but i am still saving and just trying to get all the info i can. 

Mwyates:  I have thought about 6x's also and that option is still open thanks for the reply.

Has anyone used the 6.5x32 Vortex Furys?  How did you like them? I really like the looks of these, they have a great field of view at 436.  As far as optical quality i dont know where they stand because i havent heard much about them.  Thanks for the responses
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 21:10
The Fury 6.5x32 is one heck of a glass.  I'm working with one now from a sponsoring dealer from another forum.  Had to send the original one back, but the replacement got here today.  You would never guess it was a 6.5 nor that it cost less than $1,000 if an unmarked one was handed to you.  It is all of the binocular almost anyone would ever need for all around use.  It handles mirage so very much better than an 8 or especially a 10x glass, that the 6.5 is quite usable in heavy mirage, when most people would quit with a 8-10x glass.  I am comparing it to several binoculars, a Yosemite 6x30, a Swift Eaglet 7x36 and Baush & Lomb 7x26.  I'll post here when I'm done, which will likely be Monday.  My brother ordered a Fury and says his 10x50 is retired from hunting use.  Crisp, clean, slightly warm color, great image and brightness.  The 445' fov is beat only by the $1,900 Zeiss Victory 7x42.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 08:35
I've heard good things about the Vortex 6.5 but have never used them.  I know the Katmais are excellent.  I use mine all the time.  The Katmais are significantly smaller and a bit lighter.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 15:12
I like the katmai's but the Monarch i thought were very bright and lighter. FOV is great if you are viewing something out at 1000 yards, but in dark timber if you are only able to see 100 yards it means very little to me. the difference between a 420 ft field of view and 330 ft translates  to 42ft and 33 ft for a difference of 9 feet at 100 yards.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 19:07
Has anyone had any experience with the Zen-Ray Summit binocular?  I saw them on the internet on a birding site that was reviewing some binoculars and they really liked them---said the were as good as, or better than, the Nikon Monarch.  Has anybody played with these?   --Ed
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 19:44

I had never heard about them until you posted the name.  I spend a fair amount of time perusing birding sites and have never seen the name mentioned.  I did an internet search and they look a lot like the Bushnell Legends - though with somewhat lesser specs.  All of the "reviews" I read seemed rather suspect.

There is currently a huge proliferation of cheap Chinese-made optics being sold under a dizzying array of new badges.  They all seem to know the right buzz-words to use in their marketing schemes and there is absolutely no possible way they will all be around for very long - making the vast majority of their warranties completely worthless.

Personally, I'm too poor to waste my money gambling on any of these fly-by-the-night companies. 

Edited by lucznik - April/28/2008 at 20:37
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 22:08
About Zen-Ray.....I accidentally stumbled onto the binocular review site last night. I had never heard of Zen-Ray Optics.  I, too, thought they looked similar to Bushnell Legends. But I thought the review sounded pretty good, especially for the price of the 8X42 --about $170.

Here's where I found it:   www.opticsrating.com       that will take you to "West Coast Birding and Optics".  I thought it was interesting.                                  --Ed 
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 23:05
............well, hell,............THAT doesn't work!!!  

If you want to read the review of Zen Ray and see photos, I will tell you a complicated way to get there---that works.   see below:

Go to Google images---
punch in Leupold Yosemite----enter
( you will see photos of Yosemites..) click on the photo of a Yosemite that says: www.opticsratings.com under it!  You will BE THERE!  

I don't know who West Coast Birding and Optics is, but they did the review with nice pics!!

maybe you're curious...........
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 08:48
Actually, I think I'd just rather buy one of those Yosemites and be done with it. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 15:30
deerkiller, your question is not fair. 8x42 binoculars in the 200-350 price range is the most abundantly populated group, and it keeps changing twice per year.
I have never seen them, but i would get a Vortex Stokes Broadwing 8x42, or i would increase the budget to include a Vortex Viper 8x42 (which are amazingly good). No, i don't work for them and i don't hate other brands.
Joachim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joachim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 05:39
In that price range, I'd recommend a Bundeswehr Hensoldt 8x30.
I hardly believe any new binocular can keep up with that performance/price ratio.

I use mine when hunting deer, works perfectly.
Joachim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joachim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 05:48
Actually, with that kind of money, you could find a Swarovski Habicht 7x42, even better for darker hours than the Hensoldt.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by Joachim Joachim wrote:

In that price range, I'd recommend a Bundeswehr Hensoldt 8x30.
I hardly believe any new binocular can keep up with that performance/price ratio.

I use mine when hunting deer, works perfectly.

If they ever made those without the reticle and with central focusing, i would have owned two pairs a long time ago.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 05:54
Originally posted by medic52 medic52 wrote:

I purchased a pair of OLYMPUS MAGELLAN EXWP-I 10x42 for 200.00. I have found these to be exceptional binos for the money. They are crisp, clear, fast focus and the edge to edge clarity is good. IMHO for the MONEY you would not be disappointed. I have a pair of Leupold Mesa 10x50 same price range and IMHO the OLYMPUS are the better of the two.....
 I agree with Medic52.  I have the same pair of Olympus binos and find them to be the best buy for the money anywhere.  They many not be the best, but they sure can compete with binos costing 4 times as much money.  I have had mine for two seasons and used them in pouring rains without a problem.  Sturdy, made in Japan with stunning optics.  I have a pair of Minox BVs on the way for about the same price in the same stats, so I cannot wait to compare the two.  Germany vs. Japanese low cost optics.  I guarantee you, if you buy the Olympus binos, you will not be disappointed.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 18:52
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Has anybody played with these?   --Ed

I haven't but I have seen some good reviews at cloudynights.com & here is another review just to whet you weasel/whistle.

Zen Ray
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 19:06
Originally posted by deerkiller deerkiller wrote:

I am looking at buying a set of binoculars to use for hunting deer and elk in the often times dark and thick brush of the Northwest.  What do you guys like in this price range and why. Thanks

Actually, two of the higher rated porro prisms are the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 8x40mm and the Pentax 8x40mm PCF WP II. Both are under $200.

Nikon & Pentax8x40mm

Nikon 8x40mm

Edited by Bird Watcher - June/30/2008 at 19:11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic