OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

200$ spotting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200$ spotting scopes
    Posted: April/01/2008 at 18:31
See that there is some interest in spotting scopes. Didnt want to hijack any threads. and I need to settle on a spotter for 200 bucks.  Cant do 3-4-5 hundred and for my needs 200 will do it.

Now I know the board will give me hell, so be it.  Havnt been arround for awhile so I guess Im due.  Wink

If you can help me decide between these two models it will help me get back into things in life.

Burris Landmark  20-60x80      or Celestron 20-60x80 Ultima   neither is in the ED class.
 My scopes let me see bullit holes out to 400yds so my spotter needs to see further. Now I dont need to see them perfect and I dont need to see them clear enough to estimate a group size. Just need to see them on paper.  A friend was at the SHOT  07 and looked at the Celestron an gave it a high review. (for inside lights)  He wasnt in the Burris tent for long, didnt look at the Landmark.  Burris claims this scope will discerne holes on a perfect day at 1000yds.

Well, lets have my due punishmentYippee    Will ask how everybody has ben doin at this time. Hope you havnt ben board during my absense.            Hot30
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:31
I don't know anything about their spotting scopes but Vortex makes some really fine binoculars. Their customer service is reported to be very good and it might be worth contacting them.
This model caught my attention at your price point.  http://www.swfa.com/c-2141-vortex-impact-spotting-scopes.aspx
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:35
I was talking to another vendor of Vortex and he was not at all impressed with their spotting scopes.  He said the Viper rifle scope and the Razor binos are spectacular but the spotters were very lacking.  But that being said I have looked through a few and they are not to bad.  Not comparable to my Meopta but not bad for the price.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:39
Well, I haven't been looking into spotters, but since you have a budget set, I guess you have the hard part figured out.

Here's a thought for you: Are you set on a brand-new one? I bet you could find some pre-owned ones on eBay, or perhaps some 'bargain' ones at competitor .

If new is the only option for you, do a bunch of on-line research on all the models in your price range. What is perfect for someone else, may not work well for you.

I always listen to the opinions of others, but I do my own research as well. So far, I have been doing OK with that method.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 20:56
Jim, your method works for me also.Wink   When you ask for an opinion on this board, the
research extends greatly.   Only problem here is they always want you to spend as much
money as possible.Howdy    OOOOOOOPS.   Im just back from a long overhaul, I should take it allittle slower for awhile.

Hell, anybody look through the Burris Im talkin about?  Here it is again, Landmark 20-60x80.          or          Celestron 20-60x80 Ultima.     Old Uncle Burris says you can see bullet holes at 1K on a perfect day.   Is the tube "plastic" or "potmetal"?   Celestron aint no slouch I hear.    These low-end companys arent messing arround these days.Hiding
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 21:14
Well I just kicked the Burris off my list.  Found an old post by Miss Stephanie, she gave it 2 stars.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 06:23
I don't know anything about the spotters you're looking at, but I just wanted to welcome you back, hot30!  I'm glad to see you here, and I hope everything is o.k.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 06:39

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track.

You mentioned the material the body is made up "Plastic or PotMetal" and I'd like to throw this into the works... The color.

I am a pro photographer, and I easily spend 5,10 or even significantly more times on a single lens. But that's not the point; I don't have a choice for my work.

The point is, has anyone considered the outside color of the optic? About 30 years ago, Canon (the brand I use and love) realized that their longer lenses (MM+ [about X+ magnification]) would suffer optically due to the body heating and altering the distance between elements within the assembly. Sounds stupid, but the edges of an image will go noticeably out of focus as the body stretches. The longer the lens, the more ability for stretch. Next time you are at a pro sport game, notice all those white lenses in the photo area (see them on TV too). They are all Canon lenses (although there are a few other companies who have learned from this and the Canon patents have expired)

So, I just wanted to throw that out there. If you are in Arizona for example, and do a lot of summer long-range shooting, that mirage you see could have more to it than 'meets the eye' so to speak. A black spotter is going to have more problems with this than a white one under the same conditions, assuming equal internal quality.

I will probably paint my spotter white if I get one. I am considering using on of my old lenses for the job, with an attached eye piece. (800MM = 16X magnification). It's already white, in excellent condition, and I have it! The down side is that I cannot range with it...
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 13:11
Originally posted by J!m J!m wrote:

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track

realized that their longer lenses (MM+ [about X+ magnification]) would suffer optically due to the body heating and altering the distance between elements within the assembly.

J!m is right. That is why i keep my spotting scopes (a 50 mm Nikon ED and a Swarovski 80 mm HD) wrapped in sand colored burlap. The Swarovski seems to deal with heat just fine, but the small Nikon gets out of focus and loses sharpnes when hot. 

hot30 - i would go for the Celestron Ultima 80 mm non-ED version. They cost a bit over $200 and are one of the best values in spotting scopes.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 13:16
That is interesting information on the heat issue.

Thanks,
Doug
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:33
Yeah, I always wondered why those big, expensive lenses were white, when everything else is always black. So, I asked.

Once I got the answer, it made perfect sense!

Needless to say, I wish Canon made rifle scopes... Their lenses are second to NONE regardless of country of manufacture etc. They control the chemistry of the glass, the grinding of it, the coating development, application and application method, the design of the groups, the design of the enclosures, the assembly method, and yes, the color of the outside too...

Why do I think they are so good (beside first-hand experience)? You know all those printers, copiers and faxes and other stuff that say "Canon" on them? well just about all the profit from Canon's other divisions goes into the R&D department for photographic equipment. Scary, when you think about the potential amount of ca$h that represents...Whacko

For all you Nikon fans out there- in the early to mid sixties that was the brand to have for a 35mm SLR, with the Germans considered the top of the game at the time with their medium format lenses (and some 35mm stuff too). That was then. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the 21st century and a LOT has changed. All those millions of dollars (possibly a billion or more) Canon spent in R&D while everyone else sat around being "the best" has caught up to them. Nikon is running about a year or two behind Canon technology wise. So, a two-three year old Canon is equivalent to a brand-new Nikon (at the high end mind you). This is great for me; I can buy used, save a ton, and still be at the cutting edge. Hell, my main digital body is three generations old, and still being published!Yippee

Sorry to rant off-topic a bit, but the point is, do the research and find out what your buying. I LOVE first-hand testimonials, but I prefer to look the person in the eye, shake their hand and observe them for myself. No disrespect intended, but there are quite a few "Story tellers" out there, and it can often be difficult separating the wheat from the chaff...

So, that means take what I just [typed] with a grain of salt. Do your own research, talk to others about it. I love the forum format- the info is fast and free. I just collect a lot before I jump on anything...Big%20Grin
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 21:45
Thanks for the info gentlemen.  I was on the phone to Celestron today, Chris should take a look at what they have. Have friends that went to the 07 shot show and they had alot to say about them.  Their "no-fault" warranty is unheard of.

Jim, that was something that I never would have thought about.  The Celestron is a pot-metal (metalic) body.  Has a green rubber armour coating and is 100% water-proof.  The heat factor affecting vision in these things makes sense.  So I guess Im going to rig up a covering to cool it down some.

If ya want to learn something new everyday, this is the place to be.Excellent
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 06:58
just find an old t-shirt that is light colored, cut it, and attach it with rubber bands. But burlap is better because it dries faster when wet. The stay on case for Swarovski would have cost over $200, and the one for Nikon 50 would have been almost $100 (ordered from England) and still would not have protected the scopes if i dropped them.
Provided that you don't get a lemon, you should be fine with Celestron.
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 07:00

Yeah, it's crazy hunh? Those guys really thought of everything.

And I just thought they looked cool...Cool

When the paint starts to scrape off (as they always do) you see that they are fully finished under the white in the standard black anodize finish. It gives them a "Star Wars Gear" appearance- a bit rough around the edges like they have seen some action...
Brooks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 08:09
Check out the Konus 80mm.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 20:04
Brooks, looked at the Konus, its not waterproof. The 360* eyepiece end is kool though.
  Dont know everything about this stuff, but BaK 4 prisoms bring a higher dollar than BK7.
From what I can get on all this the BaK 4 is better finished glass? Even in Binos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic