OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBUDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Scopes
    Posted: April/01/2008 at 16:05
I recently purchased a .223 S&M ar-15, and now I need a scope.  I'm in college, so buying the gun broke my bank, and therefore I need some advice as to the best bang for my buck. 

Optimal preference is something around 4x power w/ illumination. It will mostly be used for varmint and pig hunting.
I'm hoping to keep the price under $300.

Oh yeah, it has to look cool too! Thunbs%20Up

Any advice?

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 18:06

A bit over your budget, (but I'll loan you the difference!)

Not really.
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:28
Excellent suggestion...

I think IOR has the best bang for the buck right now.

Also check the [URL=http://www.supersniper.com]SuperSniper[/URL] offerings at SWFA. Similar bang for the buck; Mil Spec. to boot...
JBUDA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBUDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 22:30
Sweet. Thanks guys. I'll look into these. I'm new to the forums here and appreciate the help!
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 06:42
I just wanted to mention that the SS10X42M is the Mil Spec. model. I do not know if the others are, although they have similar build quality to the M version.

just to avoid any confusion...Whacko
JBUDA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBUDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 14:01
Now, my rifle has iron sights but the handle is detachable, turning into a flat top; but the front sight is still there.  I've heard that once the scope is on there, it won't interfere, but it's hard to imagine as it is sticking up directly in front of the scope. Is this true?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:16
With a 4X scope you will have a slight blurr in lower part of your sight picture. You will probably be able to ignore it and be OK. It bothers me though, but I'm an old cranky guy.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

With a 4X scope you will have a slight blurr in lower part of your sight picture. You will probably be able to ignore it and be OK. It bothers me though, but I'm an old cranky guy.

I put a fold down front sight on mine.  That little black blur drove me nuts as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JBUDA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBUDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:29
Can I get rid of the front sight in any way other than sawing it off?
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:36
Easy!

Just replace the barrel...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by J!m J!m wrote:

Easy!

Just replace the barrel...

What??  That is an expensive way to go. Just replace the front sight.  There are so many different front sight options out there you can choose from it is not even funny.  Anywhere from $25 to a couple hundred.  All you have to do is take out those to pins with a punch and you can pop a new one right on.  You can even buy them that uses bolts instead of pins to tighten it on.

But ya, cutting the two posts off is certainly an option.  Just don't cut into where the gas system is an you will be fine.

Edited by supertool73 - April/02/2008 at 16:41
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

tonjac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 18:17
I'm also considering optic for AR.  Thinking ahead a little though.  Planning to mount on a gun I don't even have yet (Predator Pursuit from Rock River Arms).  Considered the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 - it seems to get great reviews, I don't think I've seen a bad one.  Also stumbled across the Falcon Menace in 4-14 (more of a tactical scope).  It also gets great reviews, just not as much talk about it yet - it's new to the market.  Planning to use mostly for whacking coyotes.  One thing I've seen about the Falcon is that it does not come with a lifetime warranty which we all hope we would never have to use but is nice when we do.  Falcon also costs a little less.  Any comments?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 18:18
Originally posted by supertool73
 But ya, cutting the two posts off is certainly an option.  Just don't cut into where the gas system is an you will be fine.

I did it on  mine with a hacksaw, single cut flat mill file, and progressively finer silicon carbide abrasive cloth, rounding it over to a nice contour and bluing it with Opho-Blue. Looks like an aftermarket gas block. It is worth doing yourself only if you LIKE doing that kind of work!
JBUDA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBUDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 20:06
So... I can just punch out the pin and take off the front sights...FANTASTIC! Do I need to get a new one, or could I just get rid of it all together?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 20:11
No, you have to have one on there because the front sight block is also part of the gas system that runs the action.  

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 20:19
Here is a pic of an disassembled upper.  You can see the gas tube, it connects into the front sight where there is a whole in the top of the barrels and hot gases blow through that tube into the upper and into the bolt which blows it back.  Without it you would have a single shot rifle.
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/upper.html

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 20:25
Here are some different block options.  Just make sure you get right size for your barrel.
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/gas_blocks.html
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/sights.html

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 20:52
Hold on before you start punching out pins!!!! The front sight/gas block is a fitted part and if you remove the one you have and replace it with another one it will have to be fitted by a competent AR gunsmith or use one of the bolt on front sight/gas blocks. Ever notice that new AR barrels have the front sight already installed. You can take that sight off and put that sight back on, but you can't put a different front sight on. When the front sight base is installed the barrel and base are placed in a jig aligning the barrel extension notch and gas ports up, then the holes for the retaining pins are drilled in the sight base and barrel. This puts the two grooves in the bottom of the barrel that aligns the sight base and barrel when the pins are put in so the gas ports and front and rear sights are aligned. It is difficult to get the holes drilled in the same place every time. This is why replacement sights are either bolt on or installed by the manufactor.
GG&G make both types of fold down front sights. The bolt on you can buy direct from them, but you have to send your barrel to them for the pinned front sight.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic