OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

chrono

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chrono
    Posted: March/31/2008 at 22:02
Damn!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 22:05
always keep a spare and only use the expensive one when your not in a hurry
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 22:13
Don't feel bad Dale,  if I owned a Chrony I'd shoot it too. 
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 03:40
Kind of reminds me of when my father asked to if he could use my 22lr on some trouble racoons that were raiding the bird feeders he spends a lot of money and time on. Long story short, after he showed me a blown out window frame in the there house I said, You forgot about the scope height vs the bore height, didn't you?  "yup, but dont tell mom"....

It can happen to the best of us!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 04:18
Nice one Dale. Good sense of humour you are showing with your misfortune. I chronied my rifle on Sunday, but gave my rifle to the owner of the equipment to fire, in case of the same thing happening!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 04:45
That gave me a good laugh. You are not alone either. I hit one of the skyscreen rods while testing some 300WM handloads. Bought a ProChrono after that.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 06:02
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Damn!!
  umm... kids don't try this at home!
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 07:14
1MOA up maybe.   I watched a guy do that once.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 08:51
would be different if this was the first one-- stopped using the oehler except under certain needs. to date, 2 chronos, 1 competition electronic, 1 pact.  gotta quit holding gun  off hand I guess.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 08:53

Consistency is a good thing.

what is the best on the market? I'm on the hunt for one of my own, and suggestions?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 13:17
best for what purpose,  most difficult to set up, costs the most, and most accurate oehler ballistic lab, resonable pact, easiest comp, and chrony
I do a lot of handgun shooting and each batch must be chronoed. (they do it at the match) the chrony can be set on a rock and test the hand loads in seconds. it only gives ave.es. and sd.  any chrono is good, and should be considered indespensible reloading tool  
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 13:20
Clear as mud. Thanks

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 13:29
if you do a lot of bench shooting and are at facilities, have the afternoon to play with it and several 100 rds of differerent calibers to check out-- the Oehler is the best no doubt. it was designed for this type of testing.

If your an RO in shooting match and have to check a lot of different loads from different shooters to see if they are making there declared power factor. Pacts without a doubt

If you caught between setting the powder level on a 500 run of 45 acp and need a very guick read out on velocity because the wind and snow keep blowing over the tripod chrony wins hand down.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 13:48
Thanks Dale
This is the one I have been looking at for a while now.

I have used them in the past but never owned one myself. I was just looking for pro's and con's is all.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 14:01
I don't like to rely on chrony for extreme accuracy-- 50 sd for pistol is ok, but for long range rifle at a $1.00 a shot or so - I prefer pact or oehler. -- this is the usual complaint against chrony, but for a down and dirty quick one--
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 15:06
This one will be mostly used for testing of reloads i'm doing for people and myself. I have a range that I can spend all day and it not cost anyting so time is no big deal but I do want something that I can keep around a while and still be accurate and fairly simple to use..

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 15:22

at that level I'd get the pact set up, these work very well for gun, and shooting clubs.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:43
I haven't had any problems with my Chrony other than some boob shooting through the sun screen.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 20:28
Is it true Chrony will send you a new one if you shoot it, no charge? If so, how do they make any money?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Consistency is a good thing.

what is the best on the market? I'm on the hunt for one of my own, and suggestions?

Hey Bigdaddy

The first chronograph I had was a Shooting Chrony Delta. 

It worked most of the time.  I did get a lot of "Err" messages and sometimes it would not work.  The skyscreens are jointed and crack at the thin part where you snap them together and won't hold tension on the legs so that the screens would fly off.  I had to send in for new ones 3 times in 2 years.  The legs are jointed and there is a metal junction that will get loose and push up and gets sprung sometimes and needs some work.  The screen was small and sometimes I would have to get up off the bench and move around to get a better view so that I could read the display.  Sometimes in the middle of a range session all the velocities for all the different loads I was shooting would drop 150 fps without explanation.  Perhaps I got a lemon.

About 6 months ago I had a cracked skyscreen joint and the joint on one of the legs was giving me fits.  I saw the ProChono on sale for $79.99

The skyscreens and legs are one piece, the display is large and easy to read from 15' and it has not missed one reading.....not one reading......in six months.  Not many bells and whistles but it does what I need without fail.  I saw another shooter at the range the other day that was having the same problem with his Shooting Chrony and was looking at mine. 

I still have a very used Shooting Chrony I will send you if you pay for the shipping plus $20.00.  Otherwise I was going to give it to a friend's kid who says he wants to reload "one day".

Your results might vary.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic