OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Should windage and elevation dials be.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyguy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should windage and elevation dials be.......
    Posted: March/31/2008 at 14:35
Hi All

Maybe this is  a stupid question but I will ask it all the same as I dont know the answer:

Should windage and elevation dials be returned to zero before mounting a scope on a new rifle?

Would this give a better start position to minimise the amount of adjustment used in setting up?

Thanks to you all for your help

Adam
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 14:50
You could move them to the mechanical center of the scope, but there is not really a zero until you mount it on the scope and sight in your gun, then it would be considered at zero.  If you are talking about target turrets they are adjustable by loosening a couple screws so you can set the dial on zero after you get you gun sighted in.  Then if you move them for a particular shot you can turn them back to the zero marks and know your scope is set at the same exact place as when you sighted it in.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
happyguy73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyguy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 14:55

Thanks supertool73,

I am pretty new to rifle shooting and wasnt sure if I should turn the windage and elevation turrets on my scope to the zero position before putting it on the mounts (is that mechanical zero?)

Thanks for your help! much appreciated!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 15:01
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10618

Here is a thread that was just started about how to center your adjustments.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 15:08
No, to find the mechanical zero you would need to count how many clicks your scope has by putting it all the way to the bottom and then count how many clicks until you reach the top and cut it in half.  Then put your adjustment in the center by using half the amount.  Do the same with both elevation and windage.

But that is not necessary to do before you mount the gun, unless you plan on using a base or rings that have build in windage or elevation adjustments in them, then it would be a good idea to get your scope mechanically centered. 

With fixed rings and bases your crosshairs will have to be adjusted to where ever your rifles point of impact is.  So getting it mechanically centered does not really matter because you have to move it to get it sighted in correctly
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
happyguy73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyguy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 16:03
Thanks Chris Farris! much appreciated. Just checking it out now.

Supertool73, Thanks so much for explaining things to me, it makes better sense to me now.

Thanks to you both for your time and help

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic