OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HELP WITH PICKING SCOPE THAT IS BRIGHT AT SUNDOWN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP WITH PICKING SCOPE THAT IS BRIGHT AT SUNDOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP WITH PICKING SCOPE THAT IS BRIGHT AT SUNDOWN
    Posted: March/30/2008 at 21:47
I HAVE GOT KOSHKIN ADVICE  ON THIS,WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK/I NEED A GOOD SCOPE WITH GOOD  GLASS AND ONE THAT HOLD ITS TRACKING/I HUNT DEER TO ABOUT PITCH DARK/           1-NIKON MONARCH  3X9X42
                              2-ZEISS CONQUESS  3X9X40
                             3- BUSHNELL ELITE 4200   3X9X40 OR THE 2.5X10 X40-PRICE $100.00 MORE,DON;T UNDERSTAND WHY///
                         4.---   LEOPOLD VX.III  3X9X40
IN THE AFTERNOON ABOUT DARK IS IT MUCH DIFFERENCE IN SEEING THE TARGET BETWEEN THE 40 MM AND 50 MM LENSES TIME WISE/ DOES THESE SCOPES HAVE FAST FOCUS EYEPIECE/

I KNOW ONE TIME THEY HAD THE CONQUEST FOR $399.00 / IT WAS A PROMOTIONAL/DO YOU THINK THEY WILL GIVE ANOTHER PROM. THIS YEAR/
countryboy appreciates
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 22:22
Pretty sure Nikon doesn't make a Monarch in 3-9X42.   If you are hunting in the dark, I would go with a Kahles or Zeiss in 50mm if it fits into your budget.  Otherwise I like the Conquest.
take em!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 22:30
Ignoring price,
1.  Zeiss Conquest
2.  Bushnell 4200
3.  Monarch
4.  Leupy

Price wise, the best deal out there right now is the 4200, then the Nikon Primos Special.

The only real difference you will see between a 40 and 50 mm (assuming the same quality glass) is with the 50, you can use a higher magnification setting compared to the 40.

Part of the price difference you mentioned on the 4200 is one has a 4x erector vs a 3x.  You usually pay more for that.  If you do most of your hunting near dark, you won't need the extra magnification, so go with the 3-9x40.

I have a 3-9x40 4200, and I love it.  Good glass, raingaurd, durable, raingaurd, solid feel and audible clicks, and raingaurd.  The only downside is the eye relief.  Not the best, but shouldn't be a problem.  I would highly recommend the 4200.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 22:50
I think helo18 pretty much stated my thoughts as well.  I feel the same way about my 6 4200's FWIW.  SWFA is selling the 4200 3-9 now for $249.  I don't feel that anything else really competes at that price.

Roy
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 02:01
I agree with Helo18.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 02:34
+1, I agree with Helo and 8shots. As far as Zeiss offering another promotion on the Conquest, I have my doubts, but I'm no marketing expert either. I believe the Conquest is still a great value at the current prices.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
HunterJim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunterJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 11:28
I have some friends in New Zealand and Australia who shoot a lot at night, and they tell me that the 3-9X40 is enough scope. They run them at 6X.

In 2006 I tested several 3-9X scopes at 6X, and the Zeiss Victory was tops, with the Pentax Lightseeker in 2nd just edging out the Leupold.

You might check out a Pentax Lightseeker. I have a 3-9X40 SL that I am testing this year on a .300 RCM. That is I will be testing as soon as the ammo comes. ;)

jim
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 13:34
I too agree with hilo.....ZEISS  then 4200
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 19:33
One thing I have learned is just how crucial the reticle is...
for low light hunting  a 4 reticle is awesome
doesn't matter how great the glass if you can't see the reticle well enough to place a shot, and how quickly you can do it with confidence
texashunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 20:08
How does IOR compare to thes?
I know there expensive but, how are nightforce scopes in low light?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 20:18
IOR is supposed to be right at the Zeiss Conquest level of glass
NF is supposed to be top top end stuff

I just got in from comparing a Ziess 3-10x50 with 4a reticle against Kahles CL same spec

arg
the 4a reticle on the Zeiss thick posts sections are TOO thick
the Kahles 4a thick bars are thicker than normal but the Zeiss to me is distractingly too big... 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 21:56
That bolder reticle is much more pronounced and helps as the light diminishes.  50mm will add 5 min more over a 40 mm. The clarity of the Kahles adds even more time to my eyes. When it gets dark is when the Kahles goes ahead of the Conquest. In the daylight there is not much difference except maybe a slight edge in contrast with the Kahles. You always have to realize there is a big price for the edge that is gained. Conquest an Kahles are not playing in the same league.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 08:27
I was checking in low light....
the Kahles is on my main hunting rifle, a Sako 85 270 Finlight
I actually bought 2 Kahles 3-10x50s, the other was with a standard plex reticle
much preferred the 4a
got the plex at a smoking deal on Ebay so I sold it at, actually at a slight profit back on ebay!

I also have a Conquest 4.5-14x44 with the standard plex reticle, it's a good reticle
I ordered the 3.5-10x50 Conquest to go on my Tikka 308 but just don't liek the reticle

that Kahles scope is just "perfect"...
spoils ya...
probably will be returing the Conquest and maybe just get a standard reticle

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 09:10
I'm in the 4200 class at the price range for glass quality as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 19:24
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I'm in the 4200 class at the price range for glass quality as well.

That is definitely where the curve peaks on quality vs price.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 21:18
Not knowing what Koshkin recommended, I recommend yo listen to Koshlin.  These other yahoos will spend your money all day long (and twice on Sunday), Koshkin knows glass.

I own Conquest, 4200, had an IOR, had a Nikon for 2 weeks; get the 4200.  THe Conquest is probably the best, but the 4200 is close and a better bargain.
If money is no object, Zeis Diavari or Swaro PH - but money is almost never no object.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Danny106 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 11:15
Yippee I would personally go with the Bushnell Elite 4200. I think it is the best buy in the industry right now and you will love the rainguard feature which could save a hunt. Another scope not mentioned is the Weaver Grand Slam series - excellent scope for the money.

I have read Randy Wakeman's optics articles and he indicates that a rifle only has rearward movement of less than 1/2 of one inch during recoil (excluding the recoil pad collapse) which varies with the pad installed. The conclusion from that is that 3 inches is more than adequate for possibly all but the real heavy hitters such as .338 Win mag and .375 H&H etc. and then only when crawling the stock at an awkward angle or position.

I have a Swift Premeir on a Marlin mdl 1895 45-70 and even with 405 grain Buffalo Bore loads which are real thumbers, I have never had any problems with the 3 inch eye relief.

In the last two or three years, I have spent a few days in torrential downpours, and even a couple of lighting thunder storms with lots of rainfall and have come to appreciate the rainguard feature on a scope. The same applied during a bitterly cold icy monring hunt where you might goof up and breathe on your scope.

The 4200 series boasts of 95% light gathering ability and it doesn't get any brighter than that and the 3X9X40 should suffice for practially all big game hunting. Not too many years ago, the 6X was the recommended scope for even western big game hunting where the ranges tend to be longer.

A 3X9X40 should sit low over the bore, you will have faster target aquisition, a bigger field of view, and all the clarity, brightness, contrast etc. you could ask for and the rainguard is an added plus. I think most of us have too much magnification in our glass and I see no need for a 50mm objective lens. The human eye can only effectively use 5mm at the exit pupil so a rifle wearing 50mm objective scopes does not serve much purpose in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices. I do not think you will be unhappy with the Bushnell and take a look at the Weaver Grandslam series. Check out competitor Outfitters for great scope prices. Dan Wafer
Dan
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 20:54

THANKS DAN FOR THE INFORMATION.COUNTRYBOY

countryboy appreciates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic