OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch ..wrong lens ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justanumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch ..wrong lens ???
    Posted: March/29/2008 at 10:48

just bought 2 new Nikon Monarch UCC Riflescope 3.5-10X50mm on ebay and noticed that one of them does not have the usual greenish color lens at the big end, since my father  and I have a few of these Monarch's makes me wonder if the wrong glass was installed in it. I havent seen the other Nikon models to really know.

any Ideas ???

FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 09:20

I know 44mm obj lens and lower nikon scopes are made/assembled in a particular factory in the Philippines. The 50mm and up objective lens nikons are made/assembled somewhere else, i don't know exactly where, could be another factory in or out of the Philippines. Anyway, i would assume that it still should have that green coating regardless where it was made or assembled. Question

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 19:03
   Since they are otherwise identical, I would be very interested in whether you can see any difference in twilight performance or color rendition between them.
   Are there any "counterfeit"  Nikons floating around?
Dallas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 10:57
There are both counterfeit Nikons and Leupolds on the market. Leupolds are far and away the most plentiful. There are probably others, as well. However, the biggest problem with Nikon scopes purchased thru the web are the refurbished/repaired units being sold as new scopes. They are also sometimes sold as store or trade show demos, as well as slightly used scopes that are being replaced by the owner with a more powerful scope. These schemes are being hatched by both individuals and "stores" operating on the web. I know of a specific case in which a seller was doing this. He has since left the scope business. Nikon scopes have serial numbers embossed on the turrets. You can check with Nikon about the history of your scope. Virtually all of the optics companies are willing to assist you if the product in question has a serial number. Good luck.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic