OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x or 8x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavist93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x or 8x?
    Posted: March/28/2008 at 14:40
Hi fellas, I'm going to be buying my wife new binoculars for this deer season.  Its either going to be Leupold yosemite or katmais.  She has tried both and likes both.  Most of our hunting is from a stand in heavy wooded areas with planted clearings.  The longest distance would be 150 yards with 75-100 being the norm.  My question is would 6x or 8x be the best to go with in this situation?  If anyone has anything to say about the yosemite vs. katmai I'd be more than happy to hear that as well.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 14:51
I use my Katmai 6X32 in situations like yours, but it's primarily my bowhunting binocular.  I have a Kahles 8X42 I use in more open areas, but I have used the 6X there and would be comfortable with that to 200yds or so.  I haven't used the Yosemite, but did just order a pair in 8X32, because I've heard so many good things.  The Katmais are a great deal.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2008 at 18:41
I have a 6x30 Yosemite and after seeing how good it is optically, if I were in your situation, I would stick with the 6x.  The 6x should be a little brighter and have a wider FOV than the 8x, especially in the Katmi where the 6x is 420' and the 8x is 335'.  I would have no problem using my Yosemite in the high desert Habitat where I hunt Mule deer, but it really works well as a part of a 1-2 punch with a 10x.  Out to a mile a 6x is fine.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 09:27
I have both 6x30 and 8x30 Yosemites. With the Yosemite 6x30 i can read vehicle license plates at about 250 yards. The 8x30 does magnify more, but it is dimmer and less pleasing to look through. The 6x30 has wide angle, low distortions and wide sweet spot, it is color true and very bright into the dark hours.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 20:12
I have no experience with those Leupold binoculars, but I use 6X30s  ( an older binocular made by Meopta) in wooded areas. I find I can "see" better than with an 8X in such CONGESTION of trees and branches, etc.  Also, 6X30s are quite bright by design.    --Ed
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 21:05
At the close distances you are talking about I would recommend either the Katmai 6x32mm or the Yosemite 6x30mm.

If I was in your shoes I would order both and let the wife handle and look through each model and return the one she liked the least.

My wife has the Katmai 6x32mm and the wide FOV and the depth of field on this binocular is very enjoyable to use, also, the small size of this binocular makes it hard to put down because it is so lightweight and comfortable.

I'm sure the roof prism design will give you somewhat better protection against rain and/or snow, and, the Katmai optics and optical coatings should also give you a slight edge over the Yosemite at dawn and dusk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic