OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bullet skip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bullet skip
    Posted: March/28/2008 at 10:06
I just got a 300 wm and was wondering if certain bullets and or weights are more prone to skipping than others, thanks for any input
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 10:11
What do you mean skipping?  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
9-point View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 10:17
whn you dont hit what your aiming at (hopefully not,but you never know) and the bullet skims the ground and keeps going
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 10:49
frangibility, or bullet break up is most pronounced in varmit bullets with thinner jackets, then up through FMJ to AP
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 10:55

VC 9088

COMPULSORY SPECIFICATION FOR SMALL ARMS SHOOTING RANGES

1 Scope

1.1 This specification covers general requirements for the planning, construction and operation of indoor and

outdoor shooting ranges.

1.2 It does not apply to any area where it could otherwise be lawful to discharge a firearm.

2 Definitions

For the purpose of this specification the following definitions apply:

backplate

the steel plate covering the area of the protected zone (qv) of an indoor range, behind and around the bullet

trap (qv), where bullet strikes are likely. It has no direct equivalent on an outdoor range.

baffle

a structure or device, that is mounted with its face towards the firing point (qv). It is intended to stop or redirect

misdirected shots.

bullet trap/catcher

the device or construction behind the targets intended to stop and trap shots that pass through or near the

targets.

danger area

the fan shaped area beyond the targets where those misdirected shots that do not impact the stop butt (qv),

either in azimuth or elevation, will impact. A danger area is not required if the stop butt is of sufficient size.

NOTE – Only outdoor ranges can have a danger area.

firing point

the point, or points, from which shots may be fired on the range.

full bore

centre fire cartridges and firearms so chambered.

protected zone

the area of an indoor range, behind and around the Bullet Trap (qv) and Backplate (qv), intended to stop all

misdirected shots that may reasonably be expected to be fired. Depending on the dimensions of the range it

may include parts of the sidewalls and ceiling. Analogous to the stop butt (qv) on an outdoor range.

ricochet

a bullet that continues to travel through the air after rebounding or skipping off some object or part of the range.

safety angle

the required minimum angle between the sighting line (qv) and an imaginary line drawn from the eye of the

shooter to the top or side of the stop butt (qv) or protected zone (qv).

small arms

handguns, rifles and shotguns.

small bore

the 0,22 inches rim fire cartridge and firearms so chambered.

sighting line

an imaginary line drawn from the eye of the shooter to the target.

stop butt /back stop

the bank, wall or other device, behind and around the bullet trap (qv), intended to stop all misdirected shots

that may reasonably be expected to be fired. It applies only to outdoor ranges.

3 Categories of ranges

3.1 General

There are three basic categories of shooting ranges:

a) Indoor ranges (see Annex B),

b) Outdoor no danger area ranges (see Annex C), and

c) Outdoor danger area ranges (see Annex D).

NOTE – There is no essential difference between handgun and rifle ranges. However, the much higher velocities and muzzle

energies of most rifle ammunition impose greater demands on the bullet trap, protected zone or stop butt, and danger area of the

range. The use of a range for centre fire rifle, in addition to handgun, will often be dependant on the economics of the necessary

construction and/or the danger area available.

3.2 Indoor ranges

Indoor range is a range that is constructed inside a building.

3.3 Outdoor no danger area ranges

A no danger area outdoor range shall be constructed or designed in such a way that no misdirected shot, that

can reasonably be expected to be fired towards the targets, will leave the range.

3.4 Outdoor danger area ranges

3.4.1 Outdoor danger area ranges are ranges where the stop butt (only outdoor ranges can have danger

areas) is not sufficiently high and/or wide to meet the requirement to contain all reasonably expected

misdirected shots.

3.4.2 Outdoor danger area ranges shall have a danger area (see figure 1) beyond the stop butt. In the case of

shotgun ranges there is no stop butt, and the danger area then naturally is the area where all the shot

impacts.

4 Potential hazards associated with shooting ranges

4.1 Indoor range potential hazards

The following potential hazards should be taken into consider

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

I just got a 300 wm and was wondering if certain bullets and or weights are more prone to skipping than others, thanks for any input

Most factory loads in the .300 Weatherby Magnum are loaded with relatively heavy, stoutly constructed premium bullets. Many of these will keep on going even after passing through a big-game animal.
 The only bullets that I know of that can be depended on to break up on contact with much of anything are the Hornady SX and Sierra Blitz- type varmint bullets in the smaller calibers. (.17, .22etc.)
  There is also the Glaser Safety Slug Designed specifically to prevent over-penetration in pistol calibers in home-defense situations.
 Edited to add Glaser link and to note that it is available in .308 and .30-06 loads.

I don't know anything about thier effectiveness, though, or if they would be suitable for hunting purposes.

Edited by RONK - March/28/2008 at 11:29
9-point View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 11:56
thanks for the info, I am shooting a 300 win mag with 165 gr. interbond bullets, sorry I didnt give all the specific info still very new in this, I'm not too worried about when I sight this rifle in but I am concerned when I take this to the field. by the way the bullets are hornaday factory loads
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

thanks for the info, I am shooting a 300 win mag with 165 gr. interbond bullets, sorry I didnt give all the specific info still very new in this, I'm not too worried about when I sight this rifle in but I am concerned when I take this to the field. by the way the bullets are hornaday factory loads

That is a fairly tough bullet, I believe, and could "skip" across a township or two. Use reasonable precaution to have a hillside backstop behind your target, as is always a good idea.
 I kinda thought your rifle was probably a Winchester Magnum, but  I always take such opportunities to inform readers that WM is the traditional abbreviation for the WEATHERBY MAGNUM line of cartridges, per loading manuals, ballistics charts etc., (Although WBY. is preferred.)
 WIN. MAG is the most common abreviation for Winchester Magnum cartridges, and then of course WSM and WSSM for Winchester's Short and Super Short Magnums...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2008 at 08:56
Ronk's backstop advice above is good for all calibers!!!!
take em!
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 00:30
At the range where i shoot every handgun bullet that's shot at 25 yd. targets on the 100 yd. ranges ricochets over the 100 yd. berm--can u believe it??
Steve
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 10:18
Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready   I quit reading the COMPULSORY SPECIFICATION FOR SMALL ARMS SHOOTING RANGES  halfway through ... my beard grew 2 inches . Summation to the question of the original post = YES is the answer . Different bullets different ranges and velocity.

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/07/2008 at 10:20
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic