OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DC GUN CONTROL?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbielec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 21:02
 like MR Heston said, " From my cold dead hands!!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 15:28
I hate to disagree with you lucznik, so I won't, but if you go back and read the first report in the first thread A police spokesman said that other crimes discovered during searches would be granted amnisty too. Now this may not be what they mean but this is what they heard, and in the confusion the judge may through out the charge because the defendant didn't understand their rights before granting the search. I know you don't think it could happen, but if it could happen it will happen in a court of law. HUH? Say%20What I know it happens because I've seen it happen.
After giving my opinion on a case, a defense lawyer asked me if I had a license to practice law. I said yes, thats why you and your client are here.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 16:31
Clearly there has been a great deal of confusion as to what the DC Mayor and Police have in mind with this program.  This is likely why there has been the need for the Chief of Police to go on the radio and "clarify" the intent and purpose of the program.  Nevertheless, amnesty was and remains an option only for the applicable gun-possession charges and not for any additional criminal activity that might be observed.

They also have had to modify their implementation plan as they received such a negative response to their initial idea of having officers go door-to-door asking for permission to search.  Now, for example, searches are being done by citizen request and appointment only.   Citizens are also being given the "option" of having officers arrive in uniform or in street clothes.

Regardless, the plan is crap.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
westrn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 22:23
Last week the supreme court heard arguments regarding the second amemdment. although it was regarding the District of Columbia's law concerning handgun ownership, The courts' rulings have frequently been more broad in scope than simply the question at hand. Bears watching.                                                                                                          John
John
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2008 at 23:09
The smart ones will allow a search on a clean house then after the police leave it would be a good place to hoard all the weapons. It has been cleared.

lucznik  Q
Post%20Options Post Options   Quote lucznik Quote  Post%20ReplyReply Direct%20Link%20To%20This%20Post Posted: Yesterday at 17:52
Originally posted by 3_tens

Free Ride 
     Go out shoot 30 people then be released free. Sounds like an invitation for a slaughter. What kind of idiot comes up with this Sh#t. What a way to reduce the population. Free Gang War. No prosecution. I'm glad that I don't live there.

I've already posted my distain for this program so; don't go flaming me for correcting you on this but, in the interest of accuracy...

The only crimes for which amnesty is being offered as part of this program are gun-possession crimes.   If said firearm had been used in a homicide, for example, the possessor of said firearm would still be on the hook for the murder.  They just wouldn't have additional charges for firearm possession added to the docket.  

The D.C. Police Chief also stated that her officers would not be "turning a blind eye" to other signs of criminal activity in the home should they present themselves.  Thus, clear indications of child endangerment, drug use, etc. would not result in the "free ride" you have suggested.

It's still a stupid idea.  But we should debate it on its actual merits, not on overblown exaggerations.
Read the article Quote:"A police spokeswoman said that if evidence of other crimes is found during voluntary searches, amnesty will be granted for that crime as well."
This is directly the merits of the program. Not overblown exaggerations. Please read the article.

Edited by 3_tens - April/10/2008 at 23:22
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 10:01
Yes, 3_tens, I know what's in the article.  I read it quite thoroughly.  I have also followed fairly carefully the coverage  in D.C. after that article was printed in which a great deal of effort has been expended in "clarifying" the program.  There are basically two possibilities:

1. The police spokeswoman in question misstated her answer to the question(s) about the granting of amnesty.
2. The newspaper reporter misquoted the police spokeswoman's answer to the question(s) about the granting of amnesty.

It doesn't matter which as the information was wrong either way and the D.C. Police have been trying to fix the misscommunication ever since.  My understanding is that when members of the public call to make their appointment for a search, this is all beng explained again to make sure there are not misunderstandings. Nevertheless, the basic reality still remains that the only crimes for which amnesty is being granted are the related gun-possession charges.  No other criminal behavior is included in the offer.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 10:16

This is a test to see how well it goes taking guns away using the police.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2008 at 16:52
The real scary part is that they are making two statements then choose what they want. Both statements are in print. Just like the Constitution. Police can't be allowed to change the laws just to suit there power stance. That is more like dictatorship.  Scares the H out of me and should you too. D.C is being used as a precedent platform. Since they are not under any states jurisdiction it removes a layer of applet protection. Once a precedent is set in a court, wheather it is correct or not, the court can then run rampant with it across the country as they have before. I can then take tens of years to get it reheard.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic