OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Model 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Model 25
    Posted: March/25/2008 at 12:47

My Shooting Times came yesterday and they had an article on the new Savage model 25, in the thumbhole stock, available in a classic and another type of varminter stock, in a 204 ruger.  No barrel bolt, held together, after screwing in the barrel with two metal rods through the barrel and receiver, like a previous model or two.  I was not impressed by the accuracy and for the money, would stick to a lower level model 12 series.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 13:50
I find it an odd answer to the CZ mini-action 527.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:47
You know, I had not thought about that comparison, but you are right.  The mini-mauser action on the 527 is sweet and there really is no comparison.  The CZ is much better, imho.  I like the looks of the classic in the 25, but if it shoots like the thumbhole, I do not think so.  I would expect sub moa accuracy out of that caliber and a Savage rifle with factory ammunition.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 00:25
It did shoot sub MOA right out of the box with factory ammo.  The average of five, 5-shot groups was 0.79 inches with the Hornady 40 grainers.  I don't think it compares to the 527 either, but it looks like a decent rifle to me.  If it came out around the same price as the model 40 I'd sell some things and buy one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic