OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka rings and bases...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka rings and bases...
    Posted: March/25/2008 at 10:42
Okay, I'm a cheap dude and I hate to buy stuff I can't see first hand.  I'm in Germany so dropping by Bass Pro Shops is sort of out of the realm of possibilities.  Going down to the local german gun shop only gets me the chance to look at 2-300Euro mounts... like I said, I'm cheap...  Here's what I have.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .308

Leupold Vari X III  3.5-10x50 and a Nikon 2x7

Yep, the Tikka has the dovetail and rings... NO I don't want to use them.

What I want is Weaver type bases and quick release rings.  I want the quick release because I use the Leupold and when I loan it to new hunters, they'll get the Nikon.  I want matte finished hardware...  what do I get???  Every chart I look at seems to be missing some information...  Could someone PLEASE reccomend a specific set of hardware to fit this bill?  Thanks in advance!!!

Gomer
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 11:31
The Tikka should be drilled and tapped and would allow for a normal rail to be installed.  You then could get the quick release system of your choice.  You just may not need as much ring height. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Gomer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 08:38
Thanks but that's my problem...  What's a "normal" rail?  I see references to "fits the T3 dovetail" is that the same as the "Sako/Tikka dovetail"?  Everywhere I look there are different bases that say "Tikka" but I know different Tikka models have been made over the years and parts aren't interchangeable.  I just want some steel weaver style two piece bases to fit the T3 but I can't seem to find any that are marked as such.

gomer
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 20:35
Baseball%20Bat
Originally posted by Gomer Gomer wrote:

Thanks but that's my problem...  What's a "normal" rail?  I see references to "fits the T3 dovetail" is that the same as the "Sako/Tikka dovetail"?  Everywhere I look there are different bases that say "Tikka" but I know different Tikka models have been made over the years and parts aren't interchangeable.  I just want some steel weaver style two piece bases to fit the T3 but I can't seem to find any that are marked as such.

gomer

Baseball%20Bat Weaver is the normal rail... 
 So buy a Weaver rail and use the holes drilled and tapped that are all ready there and some Weaver rings.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Gomer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 03:21
Yup... I do a pretty mean Pyle imitation... but that came after my call-sign stuck to me.

If Weaver rails are all the same, why are there different part numbers for different rifles?
Gomer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 05:30
Well, I finally found a conglomeration of two or three manufacturers parts to make this work... but for the past 2-3 days I have tried and tried to make the online purchase only to have it declined time and again.  I use my card every day.  I've used it at competitor and Bass Pro Shops this week.  There's plenty of money in the account.  So... since it seems to be impossible to do business here I'll have to go somewhere else...  sucks since the prices here aren't too bad.  Was going to by a scope off of the sample list but I guess that won't happen either.

later,
gomer
ctguru View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2008 at 03:53
gomer

what did you end up deciding for bases and mounts?
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 18:52
I have a T3 Lite in 300 wsm that I did range time with yesterday. My groups started out excellent and then suddenly deteriorated. Turns out the locking lug on the front ring had split right through the rear of the ring and all had moved forward about half an inch. These rings are definitely not designed for heavy recoil. I am happy this event did not damage my Zeiss scope. Yes everything was and is tightened.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic