OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"Return To Reason"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Return To Reason"
    Posted: March/24/2008 at 22:45
Got my "Shooting Times" today and there is a nice article about the .260 Rem & .257 "Bob". Shows some "raw" data that backs up the notion smaller, less recoil inducing cartridges kill more deer (or more precise, wound less deer) ........ based on the assumption more people shoot them better than the BIG mags.  Mr. Rodriguez recommends the 1 in 8 inch twist for deer rifles.... "offers the best chance at tack-driving accuracy!"
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 09:13
That's like a breath of fresh air. Looks like Kimber is on board.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 10:08
1 in 8" ??? for some stuff maybe, but for a lot of it 1 in 10 is fast.  If you are keeping your shots within 300 yards you do not need the extra pointy boat tail bullet that requires the fast twist.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 10:16
The 1 in 8 is better for the 140 grns and up, works better for deer sized game which is what the article is about.
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 12:39
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Got my "Shooting Times" today and there is a nice article about the .260 Rem & .257 "Bob". Shows some "raw" data that backs up the notion smaller, less recoil inducing cartridges kill more deer (or more precise, wound less deer) ........ based on the assumption more people shoot them better than the BIG mags.  Mr. Rodriguez recommends the 1 in 8 inch twist for deer rifles.... "offers the best chance at tack-driving accuracy!"
I would agree with that, as the recoil goes up, people tend to flinch more and become less accurate.  In addition, the higher powered mags are some what inherently less accurate for a variety of reasons as compared to a sleek 6.5 mm. projectile.  But, I like to mix things up.  I may carry a 243 win. bear hunting for a head shot (the particular rifle shoots .5 inch groups at 100 yards) or deer hunting and the next day, take a 300 win. mag. or Wby..  Just depends on what I have recently hand loaded, what scope I have mounted or what the whim of the day might be.  I love shooting small calibers as well as large calibers and if the rifle is accurate, I can do both equally as well, not suffering from problems with flinching, even with the largest of calibers.  My 260 Remington is one my favorites for hunting deer, but it is so new, I have not had a chance to take one with it.  Maybe this coming season.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 18:46
I've also been going back to the traditional calibers, I've done the magnum craze and am driflting back to the "roots" of the modern cartridges.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 00:34

He recommends the 1 in 8" twist for the .260 with 140 grain bullets.  Twist rates mean nothing unless you are talking about a specific bullet at a specific velocity.  That means weight and caliber, too, not just one or the other.  A 1 in 8" twist barrel using 140 grain bullets out of a larger caliber would be overkill; and a 140 grain bullet out of smaller caliber(if they made one) would need even faster than a 1 in 8.  Also, you could get away with less twist if the bullet is going faster, because the extra speed will make the bullet spin faster, which makes up for the difference in twist rate.  At the same time, you would need an even faster twist rate if you slow the bullet down enough.  That's why .223's with really long, skinny bullets at well under 3000 fps need such fast twist rates...

Just blindly saying you need a certain twist rate for deer hunting doesn't make any sense at all...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 06:33
I agree, there is no perfect rate for all calibers and chambering, loading combinations. Twist rates are application specific in regards to how, what you are loading and at what charge.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 11:53
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Just blindly saying you need a certain twist rate for deer hunting doesn't make any sense at all...

Don't think anyone is "blindly" say a 1 in 8 twist rate is good for ALL deer hunting cartridges!   The article was about "Deer" hunting with a .260 and he likes 140 grns for this and the 1 in 8 twist is good for this combonation.
take em!
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Don't think anyone is "blindly" say a 1 in 8 twist rate is good for ALL deer hunting cartridges!   The article was about "Deer" hunting with a .260 and he likes 140 grns for this and the 1 in 8 twist is good for this combonation.

Actually, yes you did.  If you would've specified the .260 and 140 grain part in the first place, I would've thought you had an idea of what you were talking about and not made my post.  Omitting those two specific bits of information makes it sound like you don't have any understanding of twist rates.  That's why I posted, to fill in the blanks from your original post.  Apparently you do understand twist rates, however, so I'll give you credit for this recent post in which you do finally specify the cartridge and bullet weight.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 07:39
Well...... not sure I totally understand twist rates.  Smile  After I re-read my post, I can see where you thought I was saying the 1 in 8 was good for all deer hunting.  I guess I was assuming folks would read the article.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 10:47
reguardless of twist rate i would take the .260 over the .257, even though the .257 was the first rifle i ever took into the field after deer and elk, the .260's performance is hard to ignore.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic