OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Scopes/New Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 09:34
              I advise those who buy used Leupolds to send them in just for a check/tune up. This could add numbers to CS usage also.

Nic K. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 09:42

Customer service also comes into play when people send in scopes for modification, reticle change, different adjustments, parallax changes, ect.  I think alot of peoples experience comes from those situations as well.  This is also another reason many choose Leupold over other brands, even if you disagree that the lenses aren't the best, try sending your 10 year old Nikon in for a reticle change ( that is, if it still works)Yep,%20Thought%20So.  IMO the draw to Leupold is quality, consitancy, service, and the freedom of hundreds of options and configurations.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 10:30
Leupold CS gets used a lot because they sell so many scopes.  I don't know what percentage of the scope market they have, but it's bound to be high.  Plus, they've been around a long time.  There's probably more Leupolds out there than Zeiss, Nikon, Kahles, and S&B put together.  I've been using them for 40 years and have never had to send one back.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 12:38
My favorite Leupold is a VX-II 6x18x40 LRV I have mounted on a Ruger #1 220 Swift. I own two other Leupold's. I own Trijicon, Zeiss, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and others, they all serve their purpose I am the first to try something different. Its the recommendations from this Board that has helped me many times make decisions when I get ready to purchase another scope. So far every one has been right on about their recommendations.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 10:13
I bought a VX-3 scope a year or so ago and it was a noticeable improvement optically over my old Vari-XIII.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 17:08
Welcome to OT, Nic K.!  It's nice to have representatives from the optics companies on board!  Stick around, and I'm sure you will be a valuable resource to have here!Smile

Not to put you on the spot, but I'm just curious -- to date, why hasn't Leupold adopted constant eye relief?  It seems most of its competition has abandoned variable eye relief.

Thanks for your input!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 17:42
Dang if this ain't turning into the Leupy Lovers Forum.  Makes me just as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine (my cousin says that; I don't know what it means).  I knew if I hung around long enough y'all would see the light Break%20Dance
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by Nic K. Nic K. wrote:

try sending your 10 year old Nikon in for a reticle change ( that is, if it still works)Yep,%20Thought%20So

Hmmm.....Interesting.

Yes, welcome to The OT, Nic.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 17:59
I'm not quite sure what the BIG deal is about sending scopes in for a reticle change...... I buy the one I want the first time!  And If I change my mind..... like I have with the Balistic Plex.... I'll just sell the scope!
take em!
Nic K. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 19:01
Thanks for the warm welcomeBig%20Smile.  Good question about the eye relief Ted.  I didn't know the answer so I asked around and the general consensus I got was that eye relief will always change on a variable power scope, its just one of those laws of optics.  I think the way some of the competition gets around it is a larger eye box.  I suppose there hasn't been enough demand for a constant eye relief for the engineers to change the current eye shell design, they tend to stay away from the boxier looks.   I hope that helped a little, I deffinetly don't know everthing but I will always try to help the best I can.

True Tip, most people are sure of the reticle they want when they purchase the scope but it is always nice to have that option to change it out thereWink
Ghost Rider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 22:49
Sorry to hijack a little but...has anyone ever noticed in the Leupold advertisement in alot of gun magazines with the guy in the tree stand holding a LRF and a Weatherby rifle the safety is off...luckily it wasn't pointing at the camera man! Just kidding. 6 months ago I emailed Leupold and Peterson's and asked if they ever noticed the discrepancy...no answer...whatever, I would be embarrassed as well. Don't worry I'm not perfect either...
As for the quality of their scopes, we use the MK4's on our M14s and M24s and they have been flawless for the last several years. I just bought an IOR 3-18 because I listened to all the hype about better glass and I just wanted to try something different from everybody else. $1500 and a 5 month wait got me a scope that broke after about 20 rounds. The features were what I wanted(love the low-fat turrets and FFP mil based reticle with floating dot, and the glass is great) but wish I would have gotten a Leupold. Would have saved some money, alot of heartache, and got a scope I can trust! 
Bronze Star w/"V"...down graded...Article 15,Section 8
Nic K. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 00:40
LOL, Ill have to point that out to someone.  Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the IOR.  I suppose Leupolds are a little like vanilla ice cream, its classic, and you might get tired of it and try something different, but you'll always come back to it at some point Big%20Smile
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 05:25
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I'm not quite sure what the BIG deal is about sending scopes in for a reticle change...... I buy the one I want the first time!  And If I change my mind..... like I have with the Balistic Plex.... I'll just sell the scope!

Or you inherit a scope with the wrong reticule, or buy a second hand scope at a bargain price. Lots of reasons. Or you just do it because you can.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 08:02

In my opinion they are not to expensive, but optically to low.

Variable eyerelief, poor FOW, picture quality quite poor and poor low light capabilitys.
Not impressed at all.

Regards technika
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 09:05
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Or you inherit a scope with the wrong reticule, or buy a second hand scope at a bargain price. Lots of reasons. Or you just do it because you can.

I'm not saying it isn't a benefit........ just that isn't much of a consideration when I buy a scope!   In other words, I wouldn't choose scope A over scope B because I might change the reticle.......... which I think is what some folks are saying here!
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 11:14

Thanks for the warm welcomeBig%20Smile.  Good question about the eye relief Ted.  I didn't know the answer so I asked around and the general consensus I got was that eye relief will always change on a variable power scope, its just one of those laws of optics.  I think the way some of the competition gets around it is a larger eye box.  I suppose there hasn't been enough demand for a constant eye relief for the engineers to change the current eye shell design, they tend to stay away from the boxier looks.   I hope that helped a little, I deffinetly don't know everthing but I will always try to help the best I can.

True Tip, most people are sure of the reticle they want when they purchase the scope but it is always nice to have that option to change it out thereWink

Thanks for your honesty, Nic!  I hate it when people try to b.s. their way through an answer to a question they truly don't know anything about.  Your response speaks well of you.  Although admittedly, Leupold isn't my favorite brand, I really like some of your company's offerings.  I tend to prefer smaller, more compact scopes on a hunting rifle, and I especially like the VXIII 1.75-6X32 and 2.5-8X36 models and think they are excellent values.  I'm also an avid pd shooter and LOVE the Varmint Hunters reticle!  I also appreciate the fact that you guys offer more options than anyone else.  Your CS is without peer.  Now, if only L would adopt constant eye relief, improve the low light performance a little more, and convert more of the metal reticles to etched glass reticles, I would add more Leupys to my collection, which currently includes 4 Leupold scopes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 13:02

LOL, Ill have to point that out to someone.  Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the IOR.  I suppose Leupolds are a little like vanilla ice cream, its classic, and you might get tired of it and try something different, but you'll always come back to it at some point 

Yes, like when you're really desperate and no other brand will fit on the rifle---and your rifle has got a 17 inch length of pull!!  HA!  HA!   Wink            Smile           --Ed
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 13:53
I just don't understand the deal with variable eye relief.  I've used lots of scopes over the years, both with fixed and varible eye relief and I have never noticed the difference.  I position my scopes so they are comfortable when I bring the rifle up.  Never have had to move my head; it's a non-issue.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

In my opinion they are not to expensive, but optically to low.

Variable eyerelief, poor FOW, picture quality quite poor and poor low light capabilitys.
Not impressed at all.

Regards technika
....................................For just about all needs here in the states and throughout the world though, the Leupys are just fine. If the difference between euro scopes and the Leupold scopes equate to the difference between success or failure on a hunt, that doesn`t say too much for the hunter now does it???? I have never had a problem with the variable eye relief on scopes either!..............I still believe that one pays more for the Leupys in relation to the same or better glass offered by other scopes. Where the Leupolds excel is in their scope and reticle selections especially for the DGR`s.............Well Technika! I did buy a 1.5-5x20 VX3 with the #4 reticle for my .375 Ruger!! Poor FOV you say?? Pic quality quite poor you say?? Poor low lite capabilities you say???..........I`m no diehard Leupy fan, but are the authorities in your area by chance burning some whacky tobaccy (tobacco) fields near you??? Are you maybe situated a little down wind????............Need some  NO2  ??????????..........You Swedish boys are difficult to impress!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 16:36
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I just don't understand the deal with variable eye relief.  I've used lots of scopes over the years, both with fixed and varible eye relief and I have never noticed the difference.  I position my scopes so they are comfortable when I bring the rifle up.  Never have had to move my head; it's a non-issue.

That has never been a problem with me, either. Leupold's have always been very forgiving, even when cranked up.

Edited by tahqua - March/30/2008 at 16:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic