OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

F-Class IOR or Nightforce or Better

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F-Class IOR or Nightforce or Better
    Posted: March/24/2008 at 10:55
I need a scope for f-class competition. I want a high power scope and have a few questions.

First, would I notice the difference between Nightforce's 12-42x56 power and IOR 9-36x56 power scopes? I like the fact that IOR has side focus. To get that on the Nightforce it costs another 500, IOR also comes with rings which would be another 170 for the Nightforce.

Second, I read that if an IOR scope has a big problem that they have to go to Europe where it can take up to 6 months to get returned. I realize that with high end scopes like these that big problems do not happen often but still.

Lastly do all the new IOR scopes have the turrets like the ones on this scope http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx I am open to other suggestions. Thanks   
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by bellumdeus bellumdeus wrote:

Second, I read that if an IOR scope has a big problem that they have to go to Europe where it can take up to 6 months to get returned. I realize that with high end scopes like these that big problems do not happen often but still.

If you have a problem more than likely when you call the Valdada in Colorado they will just have you send your scope to them and they will send you a new one so you don't have to wait.  Mine got a little spot on the bottom half of the glass a few weeks ago which has not effected it mechanically at all but it bugs me so I called Valdada and he told me to just send it back to him and he would send me a brand new scope, that way I would not have to wait for it to get fixed.  I am holding off until May as I need the scope again in April and don't want to have to get all new dope.  So I was very happy with that service.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 11:34
I am pretty certain that the 9-36x has knobs like this one.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10211-292-new-ior-6-24x56-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx

They have 9 MOA per revolution, which I personally don't like as I would rather have at least 15 but that is just me.  If you choose to go with the 4-28x-56 it has the large knob which has 25 MOA per revolution which would be awesome in my book.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10187-292-ior-4-28x56-tactical-40mm-rifle-scope.aspx
It also has the 40mm tube which is allowing them to put more travel in them.  I think it has around 80 MOA vs. about 65 for the 9-36x.  But it is not cheap.  I have been told that the glass in the new 40mm tube scopes looks better than the 35mm tube glass which I think looks amazing, so it may be worth the added cost.

Edited to add:
Checking into this more, it looks like you can get the 9-36x with the exposed knobs which have 9MOA or the covered knobs which have 15 MOA per revolution.  I personally prefer the latter after having both types.  I also like to be able to cover them up for certain uses as well.

Edited by supertool73 - March/24/2008 at 11:54
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

bellumdeus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 16:07
Thanks for the answering me thats good to know about there tech support and the turret travel per rotation. But in regards to my first question, could I tell any difference between the IOR and 42 power NXS Nightforce. Thanks
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 17:49
Never looked through a 42x Nightforce.  But I have side by side my IOR 6-24x50 and a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce and on the higher powers the IOR looked noticeably better to my eyes.  The Nightforce started to get a little cloudy at the high powers where the IOR stayed clear.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:08
the bench series is somewhat different than the nxs series which is about 10 oz heavier, the nxs's side focus, which means an additional lens group behind the first. This somewhat sharper image isone of the reasons the bench series is used by a few national teams.  Usually front AO lenses will seem somewhat clear than their counter parts with the side focus. To me IORs are slightly off color , with a slight yellowish tinge. The recticle choices from nf are designed towards F class
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:27
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

To me IORs are slightly off color , with a slight yellowish tinge. 

I have never seen that in the 4 that I have owned and the dozen or so I have looked through.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 20:35
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

To me IORs are slightly off color , with a slight yellowish tinge. 

I have never seen that in the 4 that I have owned and the dozen or so I have looked through.

I've never been able to discern that, either. ( Mine is a 2.5-10x 42  FFP.)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 22:34
A lot would probably depend on the individual color perception.  We al see color a little differently.  Generally, older IOR scopes used to have a yellowish tint, but that has changed a few years ago.  Current production scopes look pretty neutral to me.

As for the IOR vs Nightforce, I am not a competition shooter, so take m opinio here with a grain of salt. 

Optically, IOR is, IMO, noticeably better than Nightforce.  Mechanically, with current production scopes, I think it is a wash.  Nightforce's reputation is very good though and deservedly so.  In terms of mechanical precision and reliability they are second to none.  Still, I think current production IORs are excellent as well.

In terms of reticle choice, Nightforce certainly has more options and their ultra thin reticles are probably better for target shooting.

I am very familiar and comfortable with IOR's MP-8, so it probably would not make much difference for me, but for many people it does.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 22:45
I really like the IOR, but as supertool73 pointed out it really sucks that it only has 9 MOA per rotation. Are there any other scopes in the 1000-2000 dollar price range with greater than 35 power? Thanks again guys

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 23:22
Thanks, koshkin. I shot at 600 yards with my ar-15 and a 6-20x56 zeiss conquest with z-plex. It was all well and good until I lost my windage zero and was pretty much screwed, well anyway that is kinda why I want the IOR because I wont have to touch the windage knob as much, the MP-8 seems very nice, how thin would it be at 36 power?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 23:27
If you get his version of the 9-36 it has 15 MOA per revolution.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10268-292-ior-9-36x56-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 23:42
The dot is a .25 MOA dot at the ranging power.  I am not 100% sure what the ranging power is on that scope but I think it is 16x. 
So if I am thinking right here it is getting kind of late, it will be just smaller than .125 moa at 36x then.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 00:43
I think supertool is correct, but you may want to cal IOR and ask what power is the reticle of 9-36x calibrated for.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 10:43
As everyone is on the IOR bandwagon, I'll do my usual plug for NF. 

I have an NXS, I had an IOR tactical.  I did appreciate a yellowish coloration in my SH IOR 3-18 FFP, I do not appreciate that in my USO or Nightforce.

I like the Nightforce reticules, I like the construction, and I do not notice a deficiency in NF glass that some speak of here.  Granted, I was comparing 2 scopes at 15X - maybe beyond 20X or approaching 40X, there is a noticable difference.  For me, I've never seen much value in a 40X scope - other than spotting - and prefer to stay with something in the 15-17X range on the top end.  Then again, I don't have a "long range only" gun, all mine see use from close to far - and I like the look of things at 15X.

I have high confidence in Nightforce, service and product; and have severely limited confidence in IOR, service and product.

Having said all that, I did just buy a 4X IOR for a 45/70 and really like it.

If i were spending close to $2,000 on a scope today, IOR would not be at or near the top of the list.  I'd probably buy a 5.5-22X Nightforce with zero stop - or find a used USO.

Just me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 16:19
Thanks all, I am so torn but I guess that is how it goes sometimes. I got Nightforce on one hand and IOR on the other and only so much money in my wallet.
UPSguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UPSguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The dot is a .25 MOA dot at the ranging power.  I am not 100% sure what the ranging power is on that scope but I think it is 16x. 
So if I am thinking right here it is getting kind of late, it will be just smaller than .125 moa at 36x then.

I was told by Scott it is .25 MOA at 12x
The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 23:50
                                                  Light%20It%20Up
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:05
sort of resurrection of an old post -- but for what its worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic