OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

375 RUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 375 RUM
    Posted: March/23/2008 at 19:54
Well, I hand loaded cartridges for my 375RUM in a Remington 700 BDL Deluxe   and finally had a chance to shoot it today.  I shot it off of a sand bag and it only took 8 shells to get it sighted in at 100 yards at 1 inch high, in less than a 1 inch group.  As far as the rifle is concerned, it is a Remington BDL Deluxe, through and through.  There is absolutely nothing to gripe about.  Now, the only thing of concern, is he recoil.  This is the most severe recoil rifle I have ever shot.  It made the 458 win. mag., by CZ, look like like a 308 in comparison.  The first shot was stunning, but the second shot hurt.  I made the stupid mistake of putting a shooting glove over the butt end of the rifle after a couple shots, as I was shooting with a tee shirt.  Only problem is, is that it began to shot out of my arm and once caught my right hand and abraded my thumb and second digit to cause it to bleed quite profusely.  After getting used to the recoil and sighting it in, it was magnificent.  Final 3 shot group was slightly less than a 3 shot group with hand loads.  Awesome.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 20:21
That is good news about the accuracy. The recoil comparison is no surprise. That case is huge!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 21:19
You see why I stop at 151 rum?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 21:45

Sounds like a fun day at the range --sure beats  day at work

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 21:51
40 rounds per range session???.......Sounds good to me!!!Heavy%20Recoil 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 05:39
Put an ad in the Shotgun News.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 09:37
No Thanks.......... any gun/caliber that makes me bleed is NOT for me!  Baby
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 11:26
That should be a slightly less than 1 inch group of three.  I calculated the recoil, using an 8.5 pound rifle, rifle plus scope and mounting hardware (rings and bases) and it came out to be 73 ft. lbs. of energy.  The 460 Wby. in a 10 lb. rifle delivers 100.  My shoulder is swollen and is quite achy today.  Much worse than with the 458 win. mag..  When I was loading the 375, I kept thinking, I know the burn rate is different, but something has to give here, this is almost 20 more grains of powder, in a rifle that weighs 2 less pounds.  The other thing about the recoil is how sharp it was.  The fps of recoil must have been close to 20.  The other thing I was proud of, no flinching.  Once I had placed the safety on and forgot.  I went to squeeze of a round and never flinched.  Just progressively pulled until I realized the safety was on when the rifle never went off.  This is a rifle everybody has to shoot once.

Edited by Dolphin - March/24/2008 at 11:27
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 12:38
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

That should be a slightly less than 1 inch group of three.  I calculated the recoil, using an 8.5 pound rifle, rifle plus scope and mounting hardware (rings and bases) and it came out to be 73 ft. lbs. of energy.  The 460 Wby. in a 10 lb. rifle delivers 100.  My shoulder is swollen and is quite achy today.  Much worse than with the 458 win. mag..  When I was loading the 375, I kept thinking, I know the burn rate is different, but something has to give here, this is almost 20 more grains of powder, in a rifle that weighs 2 less pounds.  The other thing about the recoil is how sharp it was.  The fps of recoil must have been close to 20.  The other thing I was proud of, no flinching.  Once I had placed the safety on and forgot.  I went to squeeze of a round and never flinched.  Just progressively pulled until I realized the safety was on when the rifle never went off.  This is a rifle everybody has to shoot once.
...................................There is always the Caldwell lead (pussy) sled................Shoot once?? I`ll take 40!......No lead sleds allowed!!!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 12:41
I have always been reticent to put really high power rifles into rests for fear of cracking the stock.  This may be an old wives tale.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 12:45

I have always been reticent to put really high power rifles into rests for fear of cracking the stock.  This may be an old wives tale.
...............................I don`t think you`ll have a problem with a cracking stock using a sled. But then, I never have used a sled for anything!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:35
You don't have any snow in Anaheim anyway, you moron!    Bucky                        Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

You don't have any snow in Anaheim anyway, you moron!    Bucky                        Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
......................Yer right! Not in Anaheim!!...........But we have snow in the mountains 60 miles away;;;;;YOU BONEHEAD!!!!........I would love to watch `ol Ed go 40 rounds from a .375 Ruger in one range session!!! NO LEAD SLED and a t-shirt on!!...............We`ll see who has the the last laugh!!!.......................Laugh

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 20:26
Yeah, but a 375 Ruger, come on, what a whimp caliber.Smile
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 21:04

Yeah, but a 375 Ruger, come on, what a whimp caliber.Smile
LocoLocoLocoLoco ...............................It will kill anything that the 375 RUM will!!.......NO?..........You know better than that!!........I`ll take that WIMPY caliber anytime!!  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 11:58
Yeah, and you are getting it in a nice rifle.  I love my Howas and Vanguards.  Which Howa model are you getting it in?
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 14:11
Dolphin, if you aren't using one you have to try a PAST magnum recoil shield.  It is the only way I can bench shoot our 375 Rum without ending up with a separated shoulder.  That plus a limbsaver pad should make it somewhat tolerable.  Not near as bad on a running deer target although my right hand can take a bruising from the trigger guard on follow up shots.

Have fun!

Edited by Dogger - March/25/2008 at 14:13
God save the Empire!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 14:40

Yeah, and you are getting it in a nice rifle.  I love my Howas and Vanguards.  Which Howa model are you getting it in?
.............................It is the M1500 with the Weatherby Vanguard action, free floater barrel, front and rear iron sites and the 20" barrel..................Almost the same as the Ruger Alaskan except the Howa`s safety is different (better) and the Howa will have more of a semi shinier blued barrel where as the Alaskan has the more dull matte finish! The Howa`s barrel will also be free floating where the Alaskan is not! The Howa will weigh about a 1/2 pound less than the Alaskan`s 8 lbs., coming in @ 7.6 lbs...........I would expect and hope that the Howa should be slightly more accurate due to the free floating barrel and bedding.......... 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:37
Everyone that I own shoots like a dream in a variety of calibers including a 308, 300 win. mag., 270 win. and a 300 Wby..  Why is it going to take so long to get it?  Are they just cranking up production?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:43
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Dolphin, if you aren't using one you have to try a PAST magnum recoil shield.  It is the only way I can bench shoot our 375 Rum without ending up with a separated shoulder.  That plus a limbsaver pad should make it somewhat tolerable.  Not near as bad on a running deer target although my right hand can take a bruising from the trigger guard on follow up shots.

Have fun!
Thanks for the info.  I have got it sighted in with the bullets that a I am going to use for bear hunting.  Sierra gamekings, 300 grains.  The rifle printed a slightly less than 1 inch group at 100 yards with a little over 95 grains of H4831 powder.  For hunting it will not be a problem, but will definately have to take your advice the next time a sight in another load.  I now have a large bruise on my bicep from blood that has drifted down from my shoulder.  Doesn't hurt that bad, but I can only imagine what the 460 Wby. feels like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic