OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold,Elite,Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold,Elite,Zeiss
    Posted: November/29/2004 at 16:52
     I have read on this forum so many opinions but these are the three brands that seem to be a favorite. Most consider the Zeiss to be hands down the best optically with the Elite 4200 coming in a close second and then the new Leupold VIII. I have read constantly read about how great Leupolds customer service and how rugged their scopes are constructed. How about Zeiss and Bushnell, do they take forever to replace or fix their returned scopes? Are they constructed just as ruggedly and precisely as the leupolds? Which is the best all-around scope all things considered. WARRANTY,CONSTRUCTION,FEATURES,OPTICALLY. This is for a hunting scope in the 3-9x40 range. OPINIONS PLEASE!
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 16:56

if you will spend the money, the VXIII is worth the extra money, and leupold will stand behind their product forever, my vote, VXIII. all of them are going to be about the same optically, and the leupold is probably going to be tougher.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 18:41
I've had really good luck in dealing with Bushnell on warranty issues.  I know other folks who have "grumbled" at Leupolds warranty.  Personally, I think the Bushnell 4200 series of scopes have the quality edge and backup service over the Leupolds.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 19:01

no, leupolds cust service is #1, nothing tops it. its sorta like SWFA's cust service

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 19:57

Dave, you have three winners there and have asked a very tough question, which I think will come down to individual experiences. The Zeiss has the reputation for great glass, but I my own experience, the Elite and the Zeiss are to close to call. I think that the Elite is brighter than all you are considering, but anain that's just my own opinion. The BIG advantage with the Elite 4200's is the Rainguard coatings which the others don't have to date. It will give you a significant advantage in foul weather. I have had one experience with Bushnell's customer service department and I can say without hesitation that they addressed the issue VERY promptly. I have heard many times over that Leupold is the same way. I cannot speak of Zeiss with regards to customer service or their durability. I can say from personal experience that I have 2 B&L Elites, and 4 B&L/ Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes that took some serious abuse during load development on some hard kicking rifles and they came through without a single problem. Bottom line, as I stated earlier, you will be very satisfied with the scopes you mentioned and they should all serve you well for many years to come. Good luck and happy hunting!!!

For my money, it's the Elite 4200 2.5-10 x40 with the FireFly reticle all the way!!!!

Edited by Roy Finn
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 20:23
I had at one time thought that the rainguard coating was just a advertisment hoax.
After sitting in some rain with a 4200 while hunting, it really does offer an advantage.

In my position right now I would be temped to try the Conquest as it gets good praise and I don't have one. However, in that class of scope, I would be hard pressed not to get another 4200.  I am repeaditly impressed with the brightness and performance.

So, I'm all aboard Roy's bandwagon.

I have siad this before, I really wish Bushnell would offer a 2.5-10x40mm with target turrets and more adjustmant range for the price. I think it would be a hot item.

Edited by Boomholzer
acearch72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acearch72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 21:48
I have 2 Leupold VX-III and 2 Zeiss Conquest.  I feel the Zeiss are better optically.  I have not used either's customer service as all have performed without problems.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 00:30
     Well, I believe I have decided on the Elite 4200 due mainly to the Raingaurd coatings and the testimonials about its optical performance. Now the only decision to make is wether to go with FIREFLY or not. I looked through a 3200 that had this reticle and I did not like how thick the crosshairs were. I did not see them while they were charged but 90% of the time I am they wont be anyway. I suppose the standard black crosshairs will be just fine if the scope is as good in low light as everyone says. Just how much more hunting time do you think the Elite 4200 adds to your dusk or dawn shot? Would you say it adds a few minutes or maybe even a half hour over a standard multicoated scope like say a Nikon buckmaster or Elite 3200? I noticed the Elite 4200 was offered with an electro dot reticle but only in a 50mm with a 30mm tube which is way to heavy and long for me. Do they not offer the electro dot in the 2.5-10x40 or 1.5-6x36 models?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 05:53
Comparing the scopes you mentioned, there probably would not be a SIGNIFICANT amount of time gained in the field withe regards to the optics. However, when you add the FireFly reticle to the mix it is a new ballgame. How many times have you been afield and you could see through the scope, but had a hard time seeing the reticle? Enter FireFly- problem solved!!!! It's the combination that keeps you out there longer than the other scopes. If you are peering through a 3200 w?FireFly in a store you will see little to no benefit. The FireFly comes into play went the ambient light fades away. Like I have said a hundred times before, BUY IT,TRY IT and if you don't agree send it back to Bushnell for a full REFUND. What do you possibly have to loose. I obviously favor the Elite 4200's and DON'T come pare them to the 4200's. The 4200's are a different animal altogether ( ie. 88% light transmission vs. 95% light transmission ).
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 09:26
I have to respectfully disagree with redneck....they are definitely not the same optically.  In my opinion Ziess is slightly better than 4200 with Leup last of this bunch.  They probably do have best customer service though, but I've never had to return any of the scopes I have.....Pentax, Burris, Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro.  Swaro A-line is head and shoulder above them all in my opinion.  Leup definitely not worth the extra cash. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 10:03
Remember the first and foremost function of a riflescope. Yes, Zeiss is a tough act to follow optically, but when that buck of a lifetime steps into view, are you really thinking to yourself, man all the colors are so vivid! I know that I am just trying to compose myself long enough to make the shot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 11:25

perfect example Roy, too bad other scope companies dont offer a coating like the rainguard.

cory

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2004 at 08:55
redneck, I agree with you on the rainguard....awesome idea and I hear it really works.  Wish more companies had it or something similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic