OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 need scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 need scope
    Posted: March/22/2008 at 21:43
Shooting .223, mainly target shooting at the range. I will be shooting from 100 to 500 yards. I want to spend around $400.00 give or take for the scope. I will do some varmit hurting also, any good suggestions. I keep reading how the Super Sniper scopes are a good choice. Who makes the optics for them?
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 21:50
How much power do you want?

Bushnell 4200s and Nikon Monarchs are both available in the price and power range you  probably want, maybe a 4-16?
bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 22:04
Not sure if I want a fixed power like something in the 10X42 range of adj. I have been looking at the Bush 7 - 21 X 40 or 5 - 15 X 40. I have a Bush 3 X 9 now but it want hold a zero.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 22:37
The 4200 Elite will most likely be all the scope you could ask for, especially in your price range.  Give it a good look.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 08:53
Originally posted by bagger bagger wrote:

Shooting .223, mainly target shooting at the range. I will be shooting from 100 to 500 yards. I want to spend around $400.00 give or take for the scope. I will do some varmit hurting also, any good suggestions. I keep reading how the Super Sniper scopes are a good choice. Who makes the optics for them?
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Shocked
bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 20:25

Brain not working Varmit hunting

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:51

Don't get me wrong, if hurting varmints is your thing, who am I to judge?    Stare              Big%20Grin

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack, Big White Angry-looking Gorilla Man!)
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Don't get me wrong, if hurting varmints is your thing, who am I to judge?    Stare              Big%20Grin

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack, Big White Angry-looking Gorilla Man!)

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
You are a trip, my friend!! Trippin
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 19:25

Smoking
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 19:29
Oh boy! Get to watch a fight tween a white tiger an a white gorilla over hurtin varmints. Like a 40gr V-MAX goin through a whistle pig don't hurt the pig.Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
Wonder what kinda scope would fit his needs?Question
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 20:54

I think ccoker's suggestion is a pretty good one. I would stay below about 16x at the top end to get decent glass for the money.

The 10x Super Sniper is a great choice too, but variables are nice if you need a wide field of view for close shots at varmints.

bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 11:53
I can take the beating, I'm a good sport.

What do you think about the Nikon Monarch. I'm looking at the 4 - 16 X 42.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-8770-2201-nikon-4-16x42-monarch-riflescope.aspx

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:27
Looks like an excellent choice to me.I may have to consider this scope for a AR 15 upper I'm building for almost the same purposeThinking.
Where does a big white gorilla post?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:46
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9089

Here's a review of sorts of the 4-16x Monarch with a BDC reticle. Hope you find it helpful.
bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 20:33
Texas, Dallas area.
I have 2 more AR's I'm building. Another .223 with a 20" barrel and a 6.8, not sure what size barrel I want to put on that one. The riflle I'm fitting the scope for now will end up with my aimpoint on it. I will end up getting a Super Sniper for the other one.

The more I read about the Nikon the more I like what I see. I'm going to SWFA and check out the selection. I talked to them this week and they are very helpful.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 20:38
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Looks like an excellent choice to me.I may have to consider this scope for a AR 15 upper I'm building for almost the same purposeThinking.
Where does a big white gorilla post?
 Wherever the heck it wants to, I guess...

bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 12:10
Thanks for the help. It's the Nikon 1st SS 2nd
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 12:42
The Nikon 4x16 will serve you VERY WELL..........Good Pick
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic