OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver v1-3x20--newbie needs advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver v1-3x20--newbie needs advice
    Posted: March/22/2008 at 10:55
I just purchased a Marlin 1894c lever action carbine in .357 mag.  For those not familiar with it, it is a very small, light carbine.  I'd like to get a low power, small scope for it.  I don't want to put a large scope on it because it would look very awkward, and I don't need alot of power.  I was thinking of going with a Warne 2 piece scope base with Warne low rings.  While looking for a scope, I came across the Weaver v1-3x20 which looks like it would be just the right size for my little carbine.  Also, the price is right at $150.  I don't have much money for a really nice scope right now.  I just wanted some opinions on it  from those in the know.  I am a total newbie when it comes to scopes.  Thanks guys.Howdy
NRA lifetime member
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 11:12
great choice..A super value and known to be very durable.
Glocklover View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 11:17
Thanks for the opinion.  Even though it only has a 20mm objective, I think it should still be pretty bright due to it's low magnification?  It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but I do want something durable and decent for the money.  Thanks again.Smile
NRA lifetime member
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 12:26
Originally posted by Glocklover Glocklover wrote:

I just purchased a Marlin 1894c lever action carbine in .357 mag.  For those not familiar with it, it is a very small, light carbine.  I'd like to get a low power, small scope for it.  I don't want to put a large scope on it because it would look very awkward, and I don't need alot of power.  I was thinking of going with a Warne 2 piece scope base with Warne low rings.  While looking for a scope, I came across the Weaver v1-3x20 which looks like it would be just the right size for my little carbine.  Also, the price is right at $150.  I don't have much money for a really nice scope right now.  I just wanted some opinions on it  from those in the know.  I am a total newbie when it comes to scopes.  Thanks guys.Howdy
.....................BUY IT!!.....The Weaver V3 1x3 was one of my choices to put on my 375 Ruger! All reviewers from a competetor site give it 5 stars and compare its brightness and optics to the more expensive scopes!........The big advantage to the V3 is that set on 1x, it gives an outstanding FOV (87') and provides both eyes open aiming for very fast target acquisition!..............For your little carbine, the V3 1x3 is perfect. Aside from any price range, I can`t think of a better scope for it. It is the perfect variable power, is light weight, smaller and will not overwhelm or over scope your carbine!!................Excellent choice!Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 12:27
it'll get'r done just fine ...20mm lens is industry standard for magnification range of up to 5x, so your fine at 3x.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 12:34
Speaking of lever actions, anyone seen the Mossberg's new model 464, an  apparent "knock off ' of the Winchester 94. I wonder just how close it will be to the old 94 ( sure looks the part)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 14:46
The weaver 1-3x20 would also be on my top 5 list for this type of rifle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 15:52
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

it'll get'r done just fine ...20mm lens is industry standard for magnification range of up to 5x, so your fine at 3x.

Thanks.  That's the kind of info I need.Smile
NRA lifetime member
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 16:12
Big Squeeze........ You were on this post like stink on shi........ well you know what I mean!  You've been so convincing that as soon as I read the post I was ready to tell him to Buy It too! Wink
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 16:15
I did see that Mossberg was making the lever, but I haven't had a chance to hold it in my hands yet.  It looks like it would be a great little knock around gun.... carry in the pick-up and to a tree stand that is set-up for archery!  Did you happen to see what the price on the street might be?
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 16:47
saw one in Gunbroker at $299 with no reserve--thats the only one I've seen.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 17:04
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

.....................BUY IT!!.....The Weaver V3 1x3 was one of my choices to put on my 375 Ruger! All reviewers from a competetor site give it 5 stars and compare its brightness and optics to the more expensive scopes!........The big advantage to the V3 is that set on 1x, it gives an outstanding FOV (87') and provides both eyes open aiming for very fast target acquisition!..............For your little carbine, the V3 1x3 is perfect. Aside from any price range, I can`t think of a better scope for it. It is the perfect variable power, is light weight, smaller and will not overwhelm or over scope your carbine!!................Excellent choice!Wink

Thanks Big Squeeze.  On the 1x, It would still be viable for home defense indoors also.  So, what did you end up putting on your Ruger?Smile
NRA lifetime member
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Speaking of lever actions, anyone seen the Mossberg's new model 464, an  apparent "knock off ' of the Winchester 94. I wonder just how close it will be to the old 94 ( sure looks the part)

She looks pretty nice in the photo, but I haven't seen one in person yet.  For the money, I think they build pretty decent shotguns.Smile
NRA lifetime member
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

The weaver 1-3x20 would also be on my top 5 list for this type of rifle.

What other scopes would be on your list?Smile
NRA lifetime member
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 20:14

Thanks Big Squeeze.  On the 1x, It would still be viable for home defense indoors also.  So, what did you end up putting on your Ruger?Smile
.......................................My new .375 Ruger in the Howa M1500 won`t arrive until around Sept!..........The Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 with the #4 reticle which arrived yesterday will be going on the Howa.........A little more eye relief than the Weaver V3, but for your 357 carbine, that Weaver is an ideal choice!.........Your best in home defense would be to remove any scope from any rifle! Use iron sights only! For in home defense buy a handgun!!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 20:24
             BS%20Flag                                                                                                  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 20:28
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

BS%20Flag                                                                                                  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
...................................................Belt%20FedHorse%20PoopFull%20Auto...........................Laugh
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 20:33
Big Squeeze is my man....A Weaver scope lover!!  And an ELEPHANT RIFLE owner!! Gonna be shootin' BIG HOLES in the scenery in California!! Are you STILL allowed to OWN firearms out there??    Stare            
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 21:41

[QUOTE=Glocklover]I just purchased a Marlin 1894c lever action carbine in .357 mag.  For those not familiar with it, it is a very small, light carbine.  I'd like to get a low power, small scope for it.  I don't want to put a large scope on it because it would look very awkward, and I don't need alot of power.  I was thinking of going with a Warne 2 piece scope base with Warne low rings.  While looking for a scope, I came across the Weaver v1-3x20 which looks like it would be just the right size for my little carbine.  Also, the price is right at $150.  I don't have much money for a really nice scope right now.  I just wanted some opinions on it  from those in the know.  I am a total newbie when it comes to scopes.  Thanks guys.Howdy

.......................................My new .375 Ruger in the Howa M1500 won`t arrive until Smile

Already taken care of.  Glock 17c, 34 rounds of Winchester Silvertips ready to go.Wink  I've also got a Beretta 84 Cheetah for CCW as soon as I get my liscence.  I've always been a little more in to handguns than any other type of firearms, but that is starting to change.
Your Ruger setup sounds pretty sweet.  I hope you post pics once you get her all put together.  (Sorry, I accidently erased most of your quote aboveBucky and I don't know how to fix it.)
NRA lifetime member
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 01:51
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Big Squeeze is my man....A Weaver scope lover!!  And an ELEPHANT RIFLE owner!! Gonna be shootin' BIG HOLES in the scenery in California!! Are you STILL allowed to OWN firearms out there??    Stare            
.....................Don`t plan on shooting any eleeeeeephants!!!...........Don`t own a Weaver!! Yet!...............The 375 Ruger BTW, does make for an excellent bison, moose and dangerous big bear round!!......That is my primary intention!! Don`t need to visit Africa and kill elephants and/or caped buffalo to make good use of the .375!!................Yes! We can own firearms out here on the LEFT coast in Calif. I believe that in Wash. DC you can`t own any??? You probably live closer to DC than I do,,,right `ol Mr. Ed???Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic