OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DOCTOR OPTICS 3X12X 56MM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBLNCHRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOCTOR OPTICS 3X12X 56MM
    Posted: March/25/2004 at 20:54
DOES ANYONE OWN THIS SCOPE. IS IT OF GOOD QUALITY,HOW DOES IT STACKUP TO ZEISS, SWAROVSKI,BUSHNELL ELITE,AND SWFA WHY DON'T YOU SELL THIS BRAND
RICK WILKINSON View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK WILKINSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2004 at 21:42
I do not own this scope yet, I am looking to purchase one soon.  I have a friend who has one and have looked through it in daytime and low light.  It seems to be of very good quality, clear, and very good on light transmission.  As far as side by side comparison with the higher priced Euro brands I have not been able to do this, but I do not think my eyes could interpret twice the money for the others.  Have you seen that Docter has a Illuminated duplex out now in the 2.5x10x48 and 3-12x56?  These are the ones that I am really interested in.
leaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2004 at 18:05
Hi!  Just purchased a 3x12x56 Docter scope with Illuminated Dot Recticle.  Also own a 3x12x56 Swavorski.  Can't tell much difference , if any!  Half the price and looks very similar on the outside as the Zeiss and Smidt & Bender.  Love it!!!
Froderik View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froderik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2004 at 09:11

Hi SBLNCHRD,

please excuse my bad english, it's not my native language. I am a proud owner of a Docter 3-12x56 with the German reticle 1 (not illuminated).  I usually use this scope for hunting wild boars. Especially in the evening and in the night. It's essential to have a good optic to recognice black boars in black nights. The Docter 3-12x56 a really good scope and a good deal for the money. It's not cheap qualitiy. These riflescopes are builded in Jena/Germany. Docter Optics is the successor of Carl Zeiss Jena. As you know after WW2 Germany was divided in a western and an eastern part. The Zeiss company was in Jena in the east. The head and some of the engeneers flew from the russians into the western part. There they continued their great work ("Zeiss West") and created a lot of new highest quality optics. Under the russian occupation the old Zeiss factory in Jena (east) continued to produce the approved models. Their products were typical "made in germany" in the best sense. From Zeiss Jena came binoculars like the 7x50 Binoctem, the 10x50 Dekarem and the 15x50 Pentekarem. They also created some riflescopes: For military use and for hunters in the western world to provide devices. The end of the cold war was the end of the GDR, the German Democratic Republic (the communist part). And it was the end for Zeiss Jena. The Docter company was created. They continued the good old Zeiss Jena work. And they designed some new models. The quality is really good, but the old Zeiss Jena qualtity was a little bit better.

With a riflescope from Docter you're on the right way. You'll buy very good quality. Okay, Zeiss West is better, also Swarovski or Schmidt&Bender (the price is also higher). Docter scopes have clear, bright and brillant optics, the sharpness of the edges is very good and the mechanic is reliable. The qualitity is basically better than japanese or other asian riflescopes. (Please don't forget, I an a german! ) Of course, Nightforce is better. Also some Leupold models (LPS and others).

For nighthunters the Docter 3-12x56 is a good deal. Today I would prefer a scope with an illuminated reticle.

Greetings from Germany,

Froderik

atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 00:25
Frodrick,
that is really interesting history. Being born of Zeiss is a good  thing to be.
also cool points to Docter for a cool logo
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2012 at 08:22
I have the 8-25x50 Docter and very happy with the scopes performance. Sadly I don't think these scopes are being imported by Docter USA. Expect to pay around $1000 USD if you find the above mentioned model. Nice German made optik. I would put Docter in the same category as Zeiss.  
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2012 at 11:10
Docter scopes at present do not have a U.S. connection.The last was here in my state(Alabama)just a few miles down the road at Merkel Arms.The 30 mm scopes are of good quality and optically are on par with and similar to a Kahles or Zeiss Classic.They are slightly under a Diavari and are often referred to by Germans as a "Poor mans Schmidt and Bender". From a hunting standpoint they are very bright and more than enough for the task only outdone only by the high end stuff such as Diavari,Swarovski Z6 and the likes and are a great value,especially if you can get one in the $500-$900 range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic