OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

wby vanguard mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wby vanguard mounts
    Posted: March/21/2008 at 23:46
Who has put a scope on a wby vg I am a Remington guy who won this in a raffle so now I have to shoot it the darn dealer wouldnt give me any credit on it.  I read that some bases once installed have a slight elevation difference.  I was thinking I might just order a base and ring kit from wby since I am probably getting a stock from them.  Any suggestions on this.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 09:20
I have several Vanguards that all wear Leupold dual dovetail reversible front mounts and function perfectly (  Manufacturer #50044,LEUP DD REM 700 RVF 2PC BASE MATTE )
. These are the same mounts as the Rem 700  ( I know that on the MK V these mounts do have a very slight miss match in elevation ) . I understand that  Talley also  makes an excellent mount for the Vanguard, but I do not have any personal experience with them.

As an aside, Vanguards are great shooters, and hold up well. I have a 300Wby, stainless 30-06 and 338 Win Mag, and each shoots 1 MOA with rounds they like.

Edited by martin3175 - March/22/2008 at 10:37
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 09:46
 Do the bases exhibit the elevation bias in favor of forward cant?
  In other words, does the scope tilt slightly downward at the front?
 If so, I would think that would be a slight asset.  If they tilt the other way, you should shim the rear base.  I think SWFA sells steel shim kits.  Easy fix, as long as you use your head in prepping and installing them.  (De-grease, check screw lengths, etc.)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 07:25
                       I was putting a set of Weaver bases and Leupold horizontal split rings on my S&W(Howa) and,luckily, happened to notice that the rear ring looked to be higher than the front one. Got out my torpedo level (any straight edge will do)and laid it on top of the front and rear ring. Found out there was a 1/8+" plus gap at the front ring. The rear bases on the Howas,and since Rem 700 bases are the same this would apply to them also,are meant to be thicker any way but after trying two other rear bases I had on hand I found one that leveled the rings. Don't know what the problem was and don't really cause from now on I'll be checking that my rings are level. Hate to think what may have happened to my scope if I wouldn't have noticed.

til later
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 11:09
Sounds like you were disappointed with your win.  The Vanguard will shoot and keep up with your Remington easily.  Downside is there is not that plethora of after market parts to upgrade to whatever level a buyer may be interested in to doing.  Personally, for hunting, it is as good as it gets for practical purposes.  With reference to bases.  They use the same bases as the Remington 700 as you have figured out.  I recommend Warne or Talley mounts and rings.  Own the rifles and the mounts and rings.  You cannot go wrong.  Martin's recommendations are good also, if you like horizontally split rings, but would lap those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic