OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by MIKE24 MIKE24 wrote:

On the Nikon Monarch, is there any difference between the 3-10x50 regular and the 3-10x50 short action when it comes to quality? Any advantage with either one?

I don't follow.
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 21:45
I'm sorry, try'n to do two things at one time.Loco It was the Busnell 3200 3-9x50 and the Bushnell 3-10x50 "shortaction". Other than the 3-9x and the 3-10x, what is the short action(shorter scope) about? I thinking of putting one or the other on my Savage 270cal. Just didn't know if there was a specific application for either one.

seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 02:41
Mike.
My little pice of advice...Take a look at the Nikon Monarch 1,5-6x42 with the #4 reticle.
I bought that scope last fall and i sits on top of my 35 Whelen.
I hunt much in the same way as you, and I find the low 1,5 wery usefull at close range, and the 6 is plenty enough for longer shots.
I´m very pleased with my new Nikon.
Seawolf
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2008 at 19:22
Thanks seawolf, but that is a little out of my price range.Shocked Really looks great especially with the german #4 retical. I've always liked that retical but can never seem to find that in a low/medium price scope.

So, can anybody tell my what the advantage of having a shorter or longer scope such as the bushnells that I listed in my previous reply?
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 20:08
Ok, went back to the store today and was able to take a really good look at some scopes. I noticed that the Team Primos scope was set back a little bit more than most scopes. When I was able to rest the scope on a counter and move it around to a comfortable position and adjust the focus, WOW! Clear, bright and full. No way does the Bushnell 3200 even compare. The Leupold VX-I or the VX-II were not as bright. I even tried the Buris Fullfield II and the Nikon was brighter and clearer. I have to agree with trigger29, with the scopes I compared with, the Team Primos has to be the best deal going right now. Top on my list to get next week.

Now a new question, I have a Marlin lever 45-70 guide gun and need to get a scope for it. Anyone here have a nice setup for this gun? Do not want a scout scope, so decent eye relief is needed. 28-32mm size would be great.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 21:18
I have the same gun, (45/70) and sort of relucantly tried the scout scope setup
man, I LOVE it!  everyone who has checked out the gun dug it as well..

I wish you could at least try it to see before discounting (perhaps you have and this is all moot) it...

I can shoot about an 1" group at 75 yards with the setup, plenty accurate for the intended use (mainly close range hogs)

I also tried a VX3 1.5-5 on a Marlin 35 Rem, great little scope, just didn't like the setup on a lever action.. the 30/30 I setup for my son has a 1-4 VX1 shotgun scope, parallax set at 75 yards with heavy duplex, that works well for him but I would prefer a scout scope for him and may do so

Danny106 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 12:04
Yippee For the $200 range (up to $250 or so), check out the scopes available at competitor Outfitters and also competitor along with SWFA. You can pick up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 with rainguard for $258 at competitor . You can Add to that list Weaver Grand Slam Series, Burris Signature Select and Bushnell 3200 series, all great scopes for the money. If eye relief is a concern, look at the Burris Signature Select series and if rainy weather concerns you, look at the rainguard feature on the Elite 4200.

You might also want to check into Mueller red dot scopes in the 3X9X40 category with 1/8 min clicks. There scopes are bright, hold their zero, and the red dot feature is a plus for early and late shooting. You can get these from E. Arthur Brown & Co. I have two Mueller scopes: 2X7X32 red dot with 1/4 min clicks and a 3X9X40 w/ 1/8 min clicks on a 30:06. Nice scope for the money and a nice scope period. They do NOT do any advertising, so you will not fine 1/2 page ads in leading hunting and shooting magazines. They advertise by word of mouth.

Dan Wafer
Dan
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2008 at 16:16
PM inbound, Danny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic