OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Nikon
    Posted: March/20/2008 at 20:26
Want to get a Nikon for my .270 and undecided on which one to get on samplelist. Any big difference between the Prostaff 3-9x50 and the Buckmaster 3-9x40. I hunt in thick woods and swamp areas so dark areas in early morning and late afternoon will effect me. If a Buckmaster 3-9x50 comes available soon I will definitly go after it. Any information wil be great.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 20:43
If the ProStaff or Buckmaster are your price range in a Nikon, I would give serious consideration to the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40. I hunt similar types of terrain and Team Primos has the same glass and mechanicals as he Monarch I use. It is an absolute best bargain for the price.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx

Edited by tahqua - March/20/2008 at 20:44
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 21:01
I would suggest the Monarch
I have used several, great scopes

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 21:05
btw, I have seen the new monarch 2.5-10x42 for 279.00
that would be a great scope for what you want

if you can find a scope in the price you want with a 4a reticle, jump on it
it's hands down the best reticle for low light hunting
I have done a bunch of testing at night with various scopes and that reticle is clearly better even when comparing two identical scopes (in my case Kahles CL 3-10x50s)

you can get a Zeiss Conquest 3-10x50 with the 4a reticle for a little under 600
also check the samplist(.com) for deals
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 21:17
Thanks for the info. $200 is my area on spending, thats why I have been looking on the samplelist. I could vary a little bit if I wait a while longer but with my luck a good deal will go by before I decide to get it. Now the Team Primos scope looks like a great deal. I will be replacing a Simmons prohunter 3-9x40 so I can put my simmons on my marlin45-70. May seem like a stupid question but is there a good deal of difference clearity between these two?
mikerabe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 22:00
The primos is last years monarch 3-9x40. With the Nikon you will see a significant improvement in all aspects of optical performance over your Simmons! The Primos is probably   the best deal in a 3-9x40 on the market! Yippee
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 07:40
+1 on the primos. got one yesterday, they are very nice. Great glass for the money. May be the best deal in scopes right now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 07:43
Forgot. Welcome to the OT, the members here have great knowledge. They really opened my eyes to good optics and equipment. Good luck with your decision. By the way, after you buy and mount a scope, the members may demand pictures.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 10:22
you might also want to check out the Elite 4200s in a 3-9x40
seen them for around 250
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 20:11
Thank you all for your replies. Information given is well received. I like to here if there maybe any primos 50mm going to be added at these good prices. Pushing my luck on this? If no chance then I am pretty sure the 40mm will get the job done. Just figure if the optics are that good then the 50mm will just add a little more to the dusk and dawn times on a cloudy day.
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 20:56
How about the Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope. I know a bigger objective is not a great improvement but if it is slightly better I could get it when funds are available. Any one with this scope give some advice.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 21:57
that would be a GREAT hunting scope
44mm isn't really that big
a tad brighter when at full magnification isn't bad when you are trying to take a shot late in the evening or before first light

MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 12:11
Went to Gander Mt. last night and compaired the Nikon monarchs to the Bushnell 3200. I could see clear and bright through both scopes, but I noticed something in the Nikon that may be hard to describe. Both Nikon team primos and monarch, when looking thru the eyepiece, seemed only 2/3rds of the scope was viewable. The outer 1/3rd was the inside of the scope. Like looking down a tunnel.  I moved the scope back and forth to adjust eye relief but it did not change. When looking into the Bushnell 3200 elite the eyepiece was full. Again, I moved the scopes back and forth, the Bushnell did not have the problem. What causes this and what's it called? Most of my shots I use 5X power so I made sure I compared all at that power. As far as I could determine, the Bushnell 3200 was a more comfortable view. After last night I am starting to take a liking to the Bushnell 3200 series. Comments?
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 15:58
I noticed the same thing a long time ago when I was considering the older Monarchs. The older buckmasters had a more comfortable view than the monarchs. I havent had a chance to look at a new Buckmaster but I hear they have better glass than the old ones yet still not as good as the Monarchs. The Newer redesigned Monarchs are said to have the same glass and coatings as the older ones but they have redesigned the scope as far as eye box and eye relief etc... I actually liked the view through the newer one better than the older one yet I hated the power adjustment ring, it is not comfortable to turn.   I have a brand new 3-9x40 Elite 4200 and it has a comfortable view and yes it is better than the 3200. I am considering the Zeiss Conquest with #4 reticle and may post the 4200 for sale on the (OPTICS FOR SALE) FORUM.    If I do, I will sell it for a good price so keep an eye out for it.
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 18:45
Thanks DAVE44. It was just kinda unusual feel for me when I looked into the Nikons that I could see the inside of the scope at normal viewing range. Kinda distracting. Boy I would love to have the Zeiss Conquest, but like everybody else, money is very tight right now. I looked at a 3.5-10x50 conquest last year and WOW! Now that is a clear and bright image. Maybe a few years down the road I can get one. Also thank you for the heads up on your scope.
Has anyone used the Firefly on the bushnell? Thats another option I want to know about. Did not get to test it at the store so I don't know how bright it is. You know, not so bright that in low light conditions that it is overpowering since it is not adjustable.
THANKS to the fellas that helped me out. I know I ask alot of questions, but I work alot and don't have a great amount of time to look every scope over. Plus the big stores just don't seem to have that personal touch in customer service and advice. I have browsed this sight over times before and seems that alot here don't just give you their opinion but they also give good advice.Excellent
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 06:06
Did someone (DAVE44) say the Buckmaster got a glass improvement?  That's nice to know...some of the Buckmasters have got different shapes and lengths than other scope series, and look like they would fit on some hard to scope rifles.... but I was always put off by "economy", shall I say....Lesser Quality, glass..than the Monarch.  If Nikon has improved it somewhat then that might induce me to take a look through one.       --Ed
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 07:45
I have 3 of the new monarchs, optics are indeed bright and clear. The long eye relief though takes some time to get used to. You will indeed see the insides of the scope if your eye is closer than recommended, which is about 4 inches away from the eyepiece. The other thing i don't like about the new monarch is that at high magnifications, 12x and up, the image  has this white haze because of sunlight reflecting on the insides of the scope near the objective lens. The sunshade does solves the problem but i find it hard to use the sunshade in a hunting situation. Big%20Smile
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 15:25
We call it the "tunnel effect" with the Nikon's.
IIRC, Koshkin has addressed this issue before here, but I don't recall the reason.
Bothers some people, but not me. I love Nikons....

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

We call it the "tunnel effect" with the Nikon's.
IIRC, Koshkin has addressed this issue before here, but I don't recall the reason.
Bothers some people, but not me. I love Nikons....

One of the funniest movies, I think.  "High Five".  I can't find the rolling on the floor laughing emoticon, otherwise I would have used it. 
MIKE24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 17:56
I am going back sometime next weekend and take another look. The scopes are set up on mock rifle stocks and they are most likely not set up properly. I tried to adjust back and forth last time but I will make sure that I pay more attention.

How about the firefly? Anyone have comments on the brigthtness?

On the Nikon Monarch, is there any difference between the 3-10x50 regular and the 3-10x50 short action when it comes to quality? Any advantage with either one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic