OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Varmint Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 15:12
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

what about the cost of ammo and the availability of it?

.204 ammo is only slightly less available than .22-250, but most well equipped gun stores have it.  The cost of .204 ammo is no more than .22-250 either.  I have found the few .204's, including the one I own in a Sako 75 Varmint, to be superbly accurate.  I've used my .204 with 39 gr. SBK bullets side by side with my buddy's .22-250 using 55 gr. SBK bullets shooting prairie dogs, and I can tell you that the .204 is just as flat shooting and just as good in the wind as the .22-250.  My .204 is quite a bit more accurate than his .22-250, though, and his rifle is no slouch.

I haven't used the .204 on coyotes yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work well.  A 39 gr. .20 caliber bullet has similar SD to a 50 gr. .224 bullet, less SD than the 55 grainer.  But, it has higher BC than either, so it would be less susceptible to wind deflection, and it would be traveling at higher velocity out of the .204 than it would out of the .22-250 with 55 gr. bullets.  Plus, as Dale said, it is more efficient, because it does all this with much less powder consumption.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 15:19
BTW, since you ruled out Cooper (which would be my choice as well), I would recommend either the new Savage M12 Long Range Precision varminter, with the right bolt, left port configuration, or the Remington M700 VTR, LV SF, VLS, or SPS Varmint, all of which are offered in those 2 calibers.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 19:38
Went down to a couple gun shops today and looked at a few rifles.  The one that impressed me the most was the Remington 700 VSF in the 22-250.  The action was so smooth compared to the other, plus the hs precision stock on it really cuts down the weight.  8 and 1/2 lbs vs 9.5 to 10.5 lbs.  I am really leaning towards that rifle now.  The 204 looks really nice too, but I just like the idea of being able to throw bigger bullets.  Some because I am considering using it on wolfs when they open the season in Montana.  I know guys that use them on antelope as well.  Thanks for the good advice so far, keep it coming.  Thunbs%20Up
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 21:26
  Browning a bolt varmit stalker. I've had 22-250's in both browning & remington vssf. Both shot real well, i like the stock on the browning better for packing around feels more like a sporter with the heavy barrel. I still have 4 22-250's, 2 rugers, a sako forester & a cooper phoenix.
 I have 204's in the varmit stalker and a savage.
 Two 220 swifts, rugers.  Remington in 222 & 223.
 But to be honest if i could only have one, it would be a 22-250 !
 Good luck and get the one you like the best, they all shoot!
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 22:06
I'm not sure they're available yet, but check out the new Savage Model 25.  It's a small action designed for the 223/204.  Looks like a nice rig in several configurations and the price is right.   I want one
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 10:25

I don't need anything bigger than 50-60 grains for what I want.  If I want to go to 90 I will just go to a 100 in my 270, or buy a 6mm.

Just remember that the 100 gr .277 is a blimp ballistically compared to a 90 gr. .224.
 Just sayin'....
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 10:46
Hey helo

I have a Remington VLS 22-250

It has a 1 in 14 twist.  It will shoot some 60 gr bullets but not others.  It does like the 55 NBT and Varget or IMR4064 but that seems to be about all I can find to shoot in it.  I wanted to shoot the 53 gr TSX but it shoots them like with a shotgun pattern.

It may just be my gun but this Remington has
  1. A long throat, if I drop down to 50 gr or 45 gr bullets I don't have enough bullet in the neck when seating .02" off, much less seating on the lands
  2. A short shoulder, I had to take the Redding Body Die and have a machine shop take a 1/4" of the bottom of the die so that the die would then push the shoulder back without binding against the shell holder
  3. A large chamber body, the Redding Body Die really squeezes the hell out of the case body

So, if I had it to do over again I would look for a 1 in 12 twist if I wanted to shoot around the 60 gr weights, maybe even a faster twist.  Even if you had a 1 in 9 it would still shoot the 55 grainers but would allow you the option of a heavier bullet.  I really have no options.  I would also look at CZ or Savage because it has been a real trial to get this gun to shoot.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 10:51
Matter of fact, I am going to investigate having this rebarrelled to a 22-250AI with a 1 in 9.

What do you think?  Shilen, Krieger, Broughton?

Anybody want a 26" 1 in 14 22-250 barrel?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I haven't used the .204 on coyotes yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work well. 

I can tell you its "Lights Out" on yotes!  Several of the guys I hunt with used them the last couple of years and they worked great!
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 11:58
Ballistically, at 450 yards, comparing a 55 grain bullet from 22-250 and a 40 grain bullet from a 204, there is not a great deal of difference.  The 22-250 has 546 ft. lbs. of energy and the 204 has 457 ft. lbs. of energy.  Now, getting a faster twist barrel and hand loading up to a larger projectile in the 22-250 will increase that difference where it would be worth getting the 22-250.  The 204 has the advantage of a lower recoil so that you can see what your shot did while it is happening.  Any of the Savage models like the Lo Profile are uncannily accurate, since the Cooper is too much money.

Edited by Dolphin - March/23/2008 at 11:59
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 11:53

BTW, since you ruled out Cooper (which would be my choice as well), I would recommend either the new Savage M12 Long Range Precision varminter, with the right bolt, left port configuration, or the Remington M700 VTR, LV SF, VLS, or SPS Varmint, all of which are offered in those 2 calibers.

What is the point of left port on a right bolt rifle?  Doesn't make much sense to me.  I realize that is only on the singe shot, but not getting the point of it.  I told a friend out here that I am looking at varmint rifles.  He offered to sell me his 22-250 Rem 700 VSF for $500.  He bought it about a month ago, and now wants to get a 223.  I really like the looks of that rifle.  We went out and shot it yesterday as well.  with the 55 grain it was shooting 1/2 in at 100 yards.  Just have to decide yes or no.  What do you guys think?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 18:21

What is the point of left port on a right bolt rifle?  Doesn't make much sense to me.  I realize that is only on the singe shot, but not getting the point of it.  I told a friend out here that I am looking at varmint rifles.  He offered to sell me his 22-250 Rem 700 VSF for $500.  He bought it about a month ago, and now wants to get a 223.  I really like the looks of that rifle.  We went out and shot it yesterday as well.  with the 55 grain it was shooting 1/2 in at 100 yards.  Just have to decide yes or no.  What do you guys think?

Having the port on the opposite side as the bolt allows you to operate the bolt with your dominant hand while loading the rifle with your opposite hand, on the same side of the stock as your head.  If you are doing timed target events, or if you're blasting away at a prairie dog town, it's faster to use your opposite hand to load while your trigger hand works the bolt.  Some people just prefer this configuration.  It is especially popular in Benchrest.

The VSF is a nice rifle!  The only reason I didn't mention it is because it isn't available in both .204 and .22-250.  If it shoots good, that's certainly a reasonable price, and I believe I'd go that route if I were you.  BUT, I would get a .204 some day down the road as well.  It's a really neat little round with a lot going for it.
Ted

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 09:54

Went down to a couple gun shops today and looked at a few rifles.  The one that impressed me the most was the Remington 700 VSF in the 22-250.  The action was so smooth compared to the other, plus the hs precision stock on it really cuts down the weight.  8 and 1/2 lbs vs 9.5 to 10.5 lbs.  I am really leaning towards that rifle now.  The 204 looks really nice too, but I just like the idea of being able to throw bigger bullets.  Some because I am considering using it on wolfs when they open the season in Montana.  I know guys that use them on antelope as well.  Thanks for the good advice so far, keep it coming.  Thunbs%20Up

Helo 18, I studied the options available to me. Being Left-handed limited me somewhat. In the end I opted for the heavier bullet so that hopefully wind becomes less of a factor. So I went for the 308Win. I am not really looking for more then 300m shots though.

Dale, I see that Remington only does a 1:12 twist for the 308 Win. I was a bit disappointed, would have preferred 1;9. How would this limit my bullet weight choice? (Hopefully not hi-jacking the post, but it seems along the same issue of barrel twist etc.) I have loaded but not yet shot 155gr and 165 gr.

Edited by 8shots - March/25/2008 at 09:56
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 09:59
I shoot 175 and 178 in my VS with the 1in12" all the time.  It shoots sub 1/2moa with the sierra 175s and 178 amax.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 10:08
I own guns in all three calibers.... .204, .223 & .22-250.  I'm planning on giving the .204 to my son Tucker for his 14th birthday this coming June (so I have only sighted it in).  The .223 is mine and the .22-250 is my younger son Tyler's.  I ordered Ty's gun while I was working at Dick's and now wish I would have gotten it in a .223.  Ammo is cheaper for the .223 and it has a little less recoil, wish would be better for him for target practice and sighting in.  Several guys in my coyote hunting group shoot the .204 and absolutly love it.  I found the .204 on the used gun rack of a semi-local dealer for just $229.00 and couldn't pass it up for that price.  Otherwise I would have bougth another .223 just so we could share ammo.

Any of these rounds will work for you.
take em!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:27
I went ahead and bought the 22-250 from my friend.  Basically brand new with fewer than 50 rounds through it.  It is a Rem 700 VSF.  I really like the feel of the HS presicion stock on it.  He never adjusted the trigger, but I think I am going to lighten it up a bit.  Once I get a scope on it later today, I will post a few pics.  Then hopefully this weekend, get out to the range to shoot it.  Thanks for all of the advice!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:35
Cool beans Helo, I sure like my VS
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 07:34
Anytime you can buy a new Remmy for $500 or less..... that's a great deal!  Have fun and enjoy!
take em!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 10:30
Helo 18. Congrats! To make your deal even sweeter, have a thought for me. My RemVSF cost me $2300!
Hopefully I will also be able to shoot my rifle this week-end. Come Monday I will show you mine if you show me yours. Embarrased
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 11:48
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Helo 18. Congrats! To make your deal even sweeter, have a thought for me. My RemVSF cost me $2300!
Hopefully I will also be able to shoot my rifle this week-end. Come Monday I will show you mine if you show me yours. Embarrased

Makes the deal even sweeter!  Although I feel for you.  That is a lot of money.  I threw my 3-9 4200 on there for the moment.  Probably will put something else on there when I get the time.  Still working on the pics, but I should have them up soon.  I'll be waiting yours. Big%20Smile

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic