OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Siganture or Elite 4200 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Siganture or Elite 4200 ?
    Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:03
Hi you all

I live in a place where no "out of the shelf" comparison can be done by myself Roll%20Eyes, so please I will really appreciate your help to clarify out my doubts with this ....

I am looking for a scope to be used mainly in extremely low light hunting conditions (at most moon light, which is allowed where I live) and I am decided to try out a illuminated reticle  so as to have an "all terrain" scope...

Specifications, should have at least 6x and half of this power as a bottom magnification, lens quality as better as posible (limited by my budget, some 500 or a little more) and should withstand complainless the recoil of a 375 H&H... also, it appears to me that the iluminated dot is much more usefull than the iluminated cross, so the first one would be my election

So far (unless you make me know of better choices) I have narrowed my choices between the Burris signature 1,5-6x40 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-4556-206-burris-15-6x40-signature-select-rifle-scope.aspx) and the Bushnell 2,5-10x50 Elite 4200 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx)

But Thinking.....

Am I talking of two scopes in the same league of mechanical & lenses quality ? Which is better ?

Also I am concerned about three more things

a) the burris's electro (and/or bushnell's iluminated) dot width ... can anyone tell me their measures (in moa) ? (since I am afraid it will hide my target - heart or brain - at certain distances not allowing me to see exactly where am I shooting ...

b) the intensifier, how many positions do both of them have ? is the lowest one in both of them sufficient enough no to make me loose night vision capability ?

c) is the battery life pretty much the same in both models (i the same use conditions)?

Thank you all in advance !
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:07
i can't speak for the burris, but i have owned and hunted w/ the 4200 in question. it's great.  I would not hesitate to recommend it in the lowlight.  Great glass/coatings/reticle.

it's a steal for the price.

J
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:07
Welcome to the OT, btw.  We're glad to have you.

J
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:27
Welcome to OT, I think you will find that the Bushnell will do very well for you. I believe the dot is one MOA in size
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:44
I tried the Burris site for their reticle description and came up blank. I don't know if it's me but their site still leaves a lot to be desired.
I have both 4200 and  Signature scopes and they both have pretty good glass. The 4200 has Rain Guard and it definitely works.
Physically you are comparing apples and oranges but for non-dangerous game the magnification range in the Bushnell makes good sense.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 14:06
the elite 4200 intensifier is a smooth rolling (like a dimmer switch) and works well.

in the lowlight you can barely turn it on and it's very nice for sighting.

i never replaced the battery in the 4200 and hunted ALL season long with it - and
i used the illumination a good amount.

J
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 14:14
Martin, I would certainly believe that J's recommendation is one you can take to the bank. I sure like the 30mm tube with that scope. It really helps in a balanced look with the 50mm objective lens. Plus, being a 4200, you will get the usual great glass for the money and good support.
Good luck and welcome to O.T.
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 14:21
Might try an ACOG and some night vision.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic