OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hmmm what to do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsmithsx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmmm what to do
    Posted: March/19/2008 at 20:23

Hello to all as I'm new here... here's my dilemma.  Looking for a new varmint scope and cant decide between a Burris, Nikon, or Leupold.  Would like to go American made but is the extra money worth it?  Nikon seems be a very well liked scope.  What about Burris?  I just cant decide.  Please tell me what you think.   Thanks

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 20:45

Welcome to O.T, Flatlander!
 You know there really is no right or wrong answer to your question, right?  All three companies make good scopes and lesser ones as well.
  You'll get answers in favor of one or the other depending entirely upon who decides to reply.
 A few basic questions to start the debate:  What is your budget, what are you mounting it on,rifle-wise  and what sort of varmints are you aimin' to terminate?
gunsmithsx1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsmithsx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 21:00
Thanks for the reply....budget, well, that depends on who you ask.  The scope is going on a rock river 24" bull barreled flat top AR.  Want to take the rig out to cut down some praire dogs. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 22:32

You will love that rifle. Guessing that you are .223 cal. More questions Do you like a ballistic reticle or would you rather dial in elevation and windage? I like the speed of a b-plex. for some occasions and dialing in when very fine work is needed.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
gunsmithsx1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsmithsx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 08:28
Yes it is a .223 with a 1 in 12 barrel.  I would like to go with a mil-dot or a version of so I dont mind dialing in and I have plenty of time.  Its funny what age teaches a person...
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 09:47
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

You will love that rifle. Guessing that you are .223 cal. More questions Do you like a ballistic reticle or would you rather dial in elevation and windage? I like the speed of a b-plex. for some occasions and dialing in when very fine work is needed.

I put a Signature Select 4-16X44 on my Rock River Flat top varmint rig.  It has a 24" 1-8 Wilson bbl that I may shorten down to 20".  But the point is I'm extremely pleased with the Burris.  I also own Bushnell 4200's (which for the money may be the best value out there) and the new Nikon Monarch (wonderful scope) along with some Leupold VX III's. 
I would also recommend a LaRue optics platform on your AR as even ultra high rings are a struggle to get high enough.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 09:49
Originally posted by gunsmithsx1 gunsmithsx1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply....budget, well, that depends on who you ask.  The scope is going on a rock river 24" bull barreled flat top AR.  Want to take the rig out to cut down some praire dogs. 
Oops.  This is actually the post I intended to reply to.  Please see the above reply.  Loco
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 12:24
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1316-185-bushnell-6-24x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

This will give you something to consider. I have one mounted on a Rem 700 Sendero 22-250 to PD hunt with and I am 100% HAPPY with it. There are alot of good scopes available in that price range for you to go CRAZY OVER and try to pivk one......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 01:45
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Welcome to O.T, Flatlander!
 You know there really is no right or wrong answer to your question, right?  All three companies make good scopes and lesser ones as well.
  You'll get answers in favor of one or the other depending entirely upon who decides to reply.
 A few basic questions to start the debate:  What is your budget, what are you mounting it on,rifle-wise  and what sort of varmints are you aimin' to terminate?
    Gee wizz Ronk, new guy with his first post or two and your already calling him names! (Flatlander) sorry Flatlander! please excuse the manners of some of our members, Ronk don't mean nothin by it. Lol.!!!  Welcome to the O.T.  sir!  Got to agree with Ronk though, just depends on your funds$. Nikon, & Leupold got better glass than bushnell,  but all are good for an AR platform. Nikons glass is just as good as Leupolds, but Leupold has the glass and the best service.  The guy's you really might wan't to talk to about AR glass is Dale Clifford & cheaptrick, these guy's really know their stuff when it comes to glass, AR, or bolt action!  They won't call you names either!Big%20Grin

Edited by yellowdog - March/30/2008 at 01:47
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 20:49

( did we mention that we think yellowdog is a Vulcan?...)          Eek     [ see photo above...]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic