OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Proper Inch Pounds Of Torque For Ruger Rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Inch Pounds Of Torque For Ruger Rings?
    Posted: March/19/2008 at 11:33
What is the proper amount of torque, in inch pounds, that should be applied to both the side ring mounting screw, as well as the ring screws themselves for Ruger bases. I can't seem to find any specs. on this. Thanks in advance,  Bill T.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 11:43
I normally use an allen key, and the kind that has a longer L shape, as soon as you notice the slight bend in the key stop.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
billt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 11:51
They included 2 of those with the gun and rings. That's how I mounted the scope on my Model 77 in .30-06, and it hasn't moved at all in hundreds of rounds. Have you ever used the "trick" of lining the inside of the ring with a thin piece of electrical tape? It's supposed to increase grip strength, and not allow marring of the scope tube. I've never tried it. I just wonder if there is any merit to it?  Bill T.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 11:56
I haven't tried that, though some people think it's a good idea. I don't, I simply make all of my adjustments prior to any amount of torque, just enough to allow the scope to be moved around without any real effort. Then I tighten it down as I suggested.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 12:10
15 inch pounds for the ring top screws.  On the screws to mount the rings to the base, that depends on the rings.  If they are good heavy duty rings and a good picatinny base the 65 in lbs.  If they are some lighter duty rings I would not go nearly that high.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
billt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 12:15
Originally posted by superstool73 superstool73 wrote:

If they are good heavy duty rings and a good picatinny base the 65 in lbs.  If they are some lighter duty rings I would not go nearly that high.

These are the stock Ruger Rings that came with the rifle.  Bill T.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 12:17
I have had too many strip trying to get that high. I forgot to add that loctite goes a long way as well. Though I have one that goes everywhere and it doesn't have any loctite at all, two years in the truck and still dead on target.

Cyborg
billt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 13:14
I wish I knew what 65 inch pounds "feels like". I don't have a clue. I'll go with Cyborg's "till the wrench has a slight bend" setting.  That sounds about right.  Bill T.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 07:23
With Warne rings and bases they recommend 25.  Before I bought a torque wrench, I would do just as Cyborg said and what I have found out, is that is almost exactly 25, every time.  65, I would find quite excessive for any rings or mounts and would strip the torx screws that I am using and likely crush the scope or at a minimum, possibly bind the erector tube.  I would be curious to see if anybody else goes that high when torquing their scope mounts and rings into place.  No, I do not use electrical tape, I find it unnecessary.
billt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 09:15
I'm glad Ruger finally got away from those damn slotted screws and finally went to Torx Head screws on their rings. I changed out several of my older slotted head Ruger ring screws to these from Brownell's:

# 080-924-464  6-40 X 1/4" fits the older Ruger rings perfectly. If you change out 1 at a time, you won't change the point of impact. They're just a better screw all the way around, and much easier to deal with.  Bill T.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic