OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski rail system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski rail system?
    Posted: March/19/2008 at 10:51

New to the site so, Hello!

Has anyone have any in the field experience with the SR Rail Mounting System?
I am thinking of picking up a 3-12X50 SR TDS-Plex #57099 and would like to get some feedback on the mounting system and the scope for that matter.  Is it lighter than using rings or is the scope and the mounts heavier than one comparable without this system?
Do you think under $1000 for brand new is a good price?
Thanks for all of your replies.
Flake
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 11:50
The seperate system will weigh in about an ounce less. as near as I can figure. This is largely dependant on the material of choice however. 

Edited by cyborg - March/19/2008 at 11:52
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 14:43
My 2 cents.
Is it a good mounting system? YES
Is it popular here in America? NO
If you want it, go for it, but I think you will find it hard to trade or sell that scope in the future. Looked at them myself but decided not to buy.
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 17:08
I should first ask if this system can mount on a 300wsm winchester M70?  I certainly do not want to invest $1000 on a scope that will not mount to the gun it is intended for.  Thank you for your replies.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 17:16
I personally think the rail makes a lot of sense and I don't understand why it isn't more popular here in the States.  Perhaps it's just a tradition thing -- we're so accustomed to conventional tubes and scope rings here.  I can see several advantages to the rail.  The scope mounts cannot stress the tube, there are no ring marks on the scope, the system guarantees the reticle will be level and square with the centerline of the rifle, it provides a very clean looking mounting system, it provides more flexibility in mounting position, and it makes the central tube of the scope more rigid.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by snowflake77 snowflake77 wrote:

I should first ask if this system can mount on a 300wsm winchester M70?  I certainly do not want to invest $1000 on a scope that will not mount to the gun it is intended for.  Thank you for your replies.

Yes, because Swarovski provides a standard mount connection for the rail that uses  Weaver / Picatinny style bases.  So any manufacturer's Weaver style base can be used with the system, and several manufacturers make Weaver/Picatinny bases for the M70.  Here are the mounts:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 17:57
Thank you!  I will be adding a new Swarovski scope to my wardrobe. 
grifsupreme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grifsupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 23:09

Hi everyone, I have just bought a Swarovski 3 - 10 x 42 Habicht AV with the new rail system to go on my sako 85, I would like to know if the scope would fit on a standard Picatinny scope mount, please advise, thanks.

Jeremy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic