OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low power Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low power Scope
    Posted: March/19/2008 at 03:36
       I am looking for a scope for a BLR 308. I am thinking of mounting a lower power scope like the 1.8-5.5x38mm Conquest or the VXIII 2.8-7x36 ect......  What I am wondering is the smaller Objective (4-2mm smaller) make much difference. I have read the posts compairing 40mm to 50mm, but have not found much reguarding scopes that are close to the VXI 3-9x40 I have on there to just to see how the gun groups. I like to hunt deep pine thickets in ground blinds and out of my bow stands where 50yd are my shooting lanes. I still may get longer shots but not normally. The longest shot I have taken was about 175yd. with a 270 but have also used the gun with a 3-9x50 VXII to take a 8 pointer at about 6 yards from my ground blind( kind of a point and shoot with the scope set to 3x). Any recomendations? 

Thanks for the Help.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 07:51
The math is still the same, The generalities of exit pupil and magnification still apply here. All things being what they are I would go with the Conquest here. The glass is better and the 38mm Objective is not going to be any issue, as the glass, and coatings, will make up some of this difference as well. In all the Conquest is going to be a much brighter sight picture at all magnifications.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 10:47
The BLR .308 is a wonderful little rifle.  The Conquest has a wider field of view, which would make it a better choice for your close range shooting.  However, this scope is so heavy it would unbalance your .308 and make it top-heavy.

The Leupold is a good all-around choice, and would balance well on this rifle.  (We've used this scope on a BLR .308.)   However, it has a fairly limited field of view at the ranges you are discussing.  A Burris Fullfield II 2-7 would give you a slightly wider field of view, and would also be worth considering.  

A Weaver Grand Slam in 1.5-5x32 is another good choice, since it is the right weight and would give you a much wider field of view for close range shooting than the above 2-7s.  We have several of these (bought a few years ago) and they have worked out well.

I haven't seen one of the low-powered Trijicons, but this also might be worth checking out if illuminated sights aren't prohibited where you hunt.

Personal choice also comes into play.  Some people like a high power scope even at point-blank range.  Others (including me) prefer a wider field of view for woods hunting.  Neither viewpoint is necessarily wrong.  It depends upon what works best for you.  I do think it would be a shame to ruin the handiness and balance of your good little .308 by putting too much weight "up top".         
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 16:48
I have the Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32 mounted on my Tikka T3 in .270 and a Sightron SII Big Sky 1.25-5x20 on my Marlin XLR .30/30.  IMO both a very nice low power scopes with great glass, wide FOV on the low end and very affordable at about $300.  I don't think you would be disappointed in either.  I also have a Bushnell Legend 2-7x32 mounted on my Marlin 336ss that has a wide FOV.  It's not a bad scope for around $125.00.  Another option is the Sightron SII 1.5-6x42.  I had this scope and liked the glass for the price but sold it to a friend as I thought it looked a bit too large for my Marlin lever gun.
JH
ADKHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADKHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 17:33
When I bought my BLR in 1978 I tried several scopes before deciding on a Vari XIII 1.5-5. Been using it ever since, and still love it. Great field of view, very light, balances perfectly on the rifle, and the 20mm tube just "Looks Right" on a lever gun.
Lee
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 16:31
Well, after reading countless post, I have narrowed down my selection to the VXIII and the FFII. I know thier big price difference with these two scopes, but glass wise is the VX III $225 better. I also like the #4 reticle on the FFII, but dont care for the eye relief or 1/2 MOA . What do yall think.  
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 17:17
Originally posted by BayouBuck BayouBuck wrote:

Well, after reading countless post, I have narrowed down my selection to the VXIII and the FFII. I know thier big price difference with these two scopes, but glass wise is the VX III $225 better. I also like the #4 reticle on the FFII, but dont care for the eye relief or 1/2 MOA . What do yall think.  
...........................I have to agree here with one of the other posters and say that the lower powered variable Zeiss Conquest, even though with its great glass, is as long and as heavy as many of the more powerful variables, even more so! It is too long and too heavy!.......... There is more to consider in a scope than just the glass! Some hunters and shooters if they could, would probably mount the Hubble Space Telescope on top of their rifles; an exagerration of course, but you get my drift!!..............For your .308 BLR and for the ranges that you`ll be hunting, a lower powered (LIGHTER & SHORTER) variable is ideal. The German #4 would also be an excellent choice as well...........I just received today, my new 1.5-5x20 Leupold VX3 with the German #4. That scope is going on a 375 Ruger M1500 coming in later this year! That power is more than adequate for your needs and will even do well on deer sized game at even further distances than your 175 yards!!..........It weighs 9.5 oz, is very clear and bright, will give you a much better FOV than the 2x7 Burris FF2, much better glass IMO and look better on your rifle than your other considerations. Also, for closer work, set on the 1.5x, the Leupold will give you very fast on target acquisition with both eyes open aiming, which I have already experimented with today!!............If you really want to save money, and for your needs even a better choice over the Burris IMO, is the 1x3 Weaver Classic V3. 94% light transmission, 8.5 oz., spectacular FOV, but no #4 reticle. I was considering that one. That for the money ($150), is a great little scope!...............Stay away from the heavier and longer stuff!! Totally unnecessary!!Wink
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 17:31
I've used a VX III 2.5-8X36 for several years.  It is great.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 17:51

I would go with the Leupold, figuring the optics would be better. Leupolds are generally the lightest scope in the world for just about every application, they have a sterling reputation, great warranty, and they look gorgeous! They may be a bit pricey, but not so much in this day and age, as EVERYBODY is asking up to $400 for a decent scope. There is no doubt that a Leupold is better than a Fullfield II.  You can get a Heavy Plex with the 1.75X6X32, or Leupold could give you a different reticle later in other models. Leupold would probably not be as bright as a Conquest, but it is lighter and more elegant on a lever gun.  I would do that.    --Ed
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:02
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I would go with the Leupold, figuring the optics would be better. Leupolds are generally the lightest scope in the world for just about every application, they have a sterling reputation, great warranty, and they look gorgeous! They may be a bit pricey, but not so much in this day and age, as EVERYBODY is asking up to $400 for a decent scope. There is no doubt that a Leupold is better than a Fullfield II.  You can get a Heavy Plex with the 1.75X6X32, or Leupold could give you a different reticle later in other models. Leupold would probably not be as bright as a Conquest, but it is lighter and more elegant on a lever gun.  I would do that.    --Ed
............................Mr. Ed is a WISE `OL Horse!!...................Horse%20Poop
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:13

Bow

HA!HA!HA!       ( I PAID Squeeze twenty bucks to say that!!)
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:22

Bow

HA!HA!HA!       ( I PAID Squeeze twenty bucks to say that!!)
...................................When can I expect my $20????Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 19:21
                                                          Chainsaw
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 19:38

Chainsaw
........................................Beating%20a%20Dead%20Horse......................
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 20:41
Laser%20Zap       Squeezer practice                                                            Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic