OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIMMONS WHITETAIL EXPEDITION SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIMMONS WHITETAIL EXPEDITION SCOPE
    Posted: November/28/2004 at 18:27
I purchased a Whitetail Expedition 4x12 AO last Jan.I truely love the scope in everyway except making adjustments when sighting in.When I try to move it an inch at a 100yards,it may move 6 inches and it may even go the opposite way. The best way i've found to adjust it is;move it no more than two clicks and a gentle tapping on the right,left and top of the adjustment areas of the scope.Once sighted in it seems to hold zero but I'm afraid the recoil of my 7mag is going to tear it apart.Does anyone else have this problem?Nice scope but my confidence is wearing thin.I'm thinking about sending it back to the factory but it's hunting season now and I'm going to try to make the season with it.Such a pity,a great scope but poor adjustments. 
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2004 at 20:14

This is a common problem in cheapie scopes.   I would dump it and buy something of higher quality.

ranburr

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 12:26
ranburr is right, Simmons may have decent optics for the money, but they aren't put together very well.  Dump it and move up the food chain a little higher into a Burris FF2 or a Bushnell 3200 or 4200.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 12:40

I can't see how you can still have nice words for a scope with the problems you stated.

I have a Simmons 44Mag that refuses to hold the same POI throughout the variable magnification range.

I would send it in, get it repaired or looked at and then demote it to a .22 rifle or Ebay.

J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 15:58
I have a Simmons .44 Mag on a Ruger .243, and i can't keep the sucker sighted in. Im buying a new rifle and a new scope, i won't be using that gun or scope much anymore inless i do some varmint hunting, then i will opt to get a Super Sniper or a high powered somethin :P. Get a high quality scope and it won't move inless you bump it hard. Good luck with you selection.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 17:07

ive always found the WTE to be a damn good scope for the money, i think you musta just gotten a defected one.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2004 at 11:11
This is not at all common for the Whitetail Expediton line but Simmons has been bought and sold so many times over the last few years that it is hard to tell heads from tails.  I think that each time right before they sold the company they would make as many of the top end scopes they could (as cheaply as they could) and blow them out to distributors....then sell the company.  The WTE line was closed out in this mannor last year FWIW.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic