OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Compact Riflescope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Compact Riflescope
    Posted: March/16/2008 at 19:40
I recently purchased a Ruger frontier rifle in .308.  A very compact/short gun with a 16" barrel.  I would appreciate some suggestions on which of the med-high end, compact scopes would be a good fit.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 19:59
Price range?
Fishinado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 20:28
Under $750
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 20:46
In order of descending price:

Kahles CL 2-7x36 is probably at the top of the list.  There are some floating around in your price range.
Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 is a good choice.
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 is a nice compact scope that many people like.
Vortex Viper 2-7x32 is a nice scope that is also available with a holdover reticle along with a regular plex.
New Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 seemed very good to me and is another scope that has a holdover reticle as an option.
Sightron S2 2.5-10x32 gives you bit more magnificaiton if you want it and is the cheapest of the bunch.

There are a few other (cheaper) scopes that would work for you, but I think these are the best options in the "$250 and up" price range.  I have the Kahles and played extensively with the Sightron, Leupold and Zeiss.  Nikon and Vortex I have had some "hands on" time with, but not as much.  I would be comfortable with any of these, but I went with the Kahles myself.  I think Kahles CL is the best 1" tube scope currently on the market.

ILya
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 20:55
I would go with the Kahles CL 2-7x36 or the Zeiss Conquest 2.5x832. You'll be happy with either one.
Fishinado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 21:10
Spaceeba Ilya.  I have a 2-7 Kahles, I agree, the best in it's class, I may go with it again, but wanted to know some other options.  The Conquest is a bit long, and I don't think the Ruger bolt handle will clear the larger eye piece.  I also have a 2.5-8 VXIII, also one of my favs, also too long.  Seems like you gave me all the options.  Where would we be without you?  You are the man!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 21:27
Pozhaluista (or if you prefer пожалуйстаBig%20Smile).

If you have concerns about the bolt handle clearing the eyepiece, Sightron S2 and Vortex Viper have comparatively compact eyepieces (a touch smaller than the Leupold).  Also, there are a couple of Kahles American Hunter 2-7x36 scopes on the samplelist that have eyepieces a bit smaller than the CL.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - March/16/2008 at 21:28
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 21:29
Alternatively, you could also go with an even smaller scope.  Something along the lines of Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.5-5x20.

ILya
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 21:53
Originally posted by Fishinado Fishinado wrote:

I recently purchased a Ruger frontier rifle in .308.  A very compact/short gun with a 16" barrel.  I would appreciate some suggestions on which of the med-high end, compact scopes would be a good fit.
................................Fishinado!.......It just so happens that "yours truly" has that same rifle but in a Ruger Frontier 300 WSM! You have two options that you can go with or you can do both as I do, like have your cake and eat it too??!!.......... For my conventionally mounted scope, I have the 3x9 Elite 4200 with a 48mm objective bell diameter, which requires the EXTRA HIGH Ruger rear scope ring and a HIGH front scope ring in order to avoid hitting the scout base mount on the barrel. If you go with a conventionally mounted objective belled scope, MAKE SURE, you have high enough scope rings to clear the scout base on the barrel. Trust me! It is a PIA to remove and re-attach the scout base!! I got fed up with that BS and recently ordered and installed the higher rings, then PERMANENTLY re-attached the scout base back onto the rifle for the last time............. For my scout scope, I use a Nikon 2.5-8x28 UCC EER. I can switch them in less than 3 minutes and they still hold their zeros................For your 308, I`d say a good all-round conventionally mounted variable would be a 2x7, although a 3x9 would be good too. More compact, lighter weight scopes would be the straight tubed lower powered variables like the 1.5-5x20 Leupold VX3, the Sightron Big Sky lower powered variable, the Weaver Classic V3 1x3; great optics and a real great buy @ $150. These can be used with the low Ruger rings and not hit the scout base.............If you wish to use the scout scope option, the above Nikon 2.5x8 is a great one (must use medium rings)! The only other two viable scout scopes are the 2.75x Burris and the 2.5x Leupold which require only the low rings that came standard with your rifle........... Although capable of longer ranges, if your hunting and shooting for the most part doesn`t exceed 200 yards, the compact variables are a great choice and/or the 2 fixed power scout choices mentioned. Realistically, any of the above would be a good choice for the Frontier!........If you really want the high end stuff, the straight tubed Zeiss, Swaro`s, Kahles can be used but at a much higher cost!!.......I went with the 3x9 and the more powerful variable scout because with my reloads, I am able to exceed, with my 300 WSM`s 16.5" barrel, the ballistics of a 30-06 with a 24" barrel............Guns and Ammo on their web site under the rifle section has an article w/pics of the Frontier using the Burris scout. Shooting Times on their site has 2 articles also under the rifle section showing the Nikon scout in one article and the Leupy scout in another!.........................You made a very smart choice in buying the Frontier! There is no better a bolt rifle for handling in the field than these little Ruger carbines, especially with the quick acquisition scout scope option that even make them better than other compact rifles, which don`t offer the scout option but really should!!!.............   
Fishinado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 22:29
My Frontier is not a scout.  Some of the hunting I do requires jumping in and out of a vehicle, so I'm excited about the short, handiness aspect.  I'd like to go with the Kahles, but doesn't look like the bolt will clear, and I want to mount it low. SO...what do you think guys, which one, S2, VX, or Viper?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 22:55

My Frontier is not a scout.  Some of the hunting I do requires jumping in and out of a vehicle, so I'm excited about the short, handiness aspect.  I'd like to go with the Kahles, but doesn't look like the bolt will clear, and I want to mount it low. SO...what do you think guys, which one, S2, VX, or Viper?
.....................What color is your stock? If you don`t have the scout option available (with a scout base), then you have the Ruger compact and not the Ruger Frontier!!..The difference, is that the compacts have the real brown wood stocks, while the Frontiers have the laminated wood with some grey and black (salt & pepper) mix!..........Ruger markets both!........With the conventional scope, my Frontier becomes like the Ruger compact. With with the scout scope, it is the Frontier!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:19
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Also, there are a couple of Kahles American Hunter 2-7x36 scopes on the samplelist that have eyepieces a bit smaller than the CL.

ILya

Fishinado,

Koshkin is correct.  FYI, I have the 2-7X36 American Hunter and 2-7X36 CL as well as a 4X Conquest that has the same diameter eyepiece as the 2.5-8X36 model suggested.   I just miked the eyepiece diameters of all 3.  The AH eyepiece is 1.535" dia, the CL eyepiece is 1.675" dia, and the Conquest eyepiece is 1.610" dia.  For comparison, I miked 2 of my Leupold eyepieces and both were 1.555" dia, so the Kahles AH 2-7X36 eyepiece is 0.020" smaller dia than a typical Leupold eyepiece.  Hope this is helpful
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:27
Vortex Viper eyepiece is supposedly 1.5" and Sightron S2 is 1.53 (according to manufacturers').

ILya
Fishinado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:31
Big Squeeze, it's a SS/laminated salt & pepper, and the tag on the gun said Frontier.

Ted, great info, thanks!  I haven't measured anything yet, just eyeballing.  The CL is choice #1, if it'll fit!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:34
The Kahles 2x7 has an ocular bell diameter of 43mm (1.69"). My Elite 4200 has an ocular bell diameter of 41mm. Before I went with the highest  possible Ruger rings to clear the scout base, I used the Ruger large ring height at the rear and the medium height ring for the front.........I had no problem with bolt clearance. The height difference in the line of sight between the medium height (front) and a low for the front is a very minimal 1/10th of an inch or so!..........If you really want a 2x7 Kahles, you can do so! Use the Ruger (large height) for the rear and the medium height for the front!.......On my Frontier and as it should be on yours, the rear intregal mount is lower than the front. You can`t use the same height rings. The rear ring must be taller (by one size) than the front ring (closer to the muzzle).  Using the lowest possible rings on your Ruger vs. the next size taller needed for the Kahles would not make hardly a difference in line of sight height! 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:39

Big Squeeze, it's a SS/laminated salt & pepper, and the tag on the gun said Frontier.

Ted, great info, thanks!  I haven't measured anything yet, just eyeballing.  The CL is choice #1, if it'll fit!
........................Then you have the Frontier! That`s the same one I have and you should have a scout scope base mounted on the barrel forward of the action, unless you or someone removed it!!!....The Frontiers come with the scout bases! Mine sure did! 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 00:45
Fish!.................Here ya go! This will help you, if you haven`t done this yet!..........Go to the Ruger website.....Place arrow on "on-line store"......Click "firearms accessories"...Scroll down to "scope rings and scope base adapters" then click.......Hit "family" then choose "M77 Mark2 Bolt Action Rifles"........Do the same for "models" and hit "Frontier"..........................There you`ll find the recommended scope ring heights for the scope objective diameter dimensions.......Then click "view engineering drawing"..........There you`ll see the line of height difference measurements between the 3 possible choices! It`s actually in "eighth of an inch" increments between the stages!........If I had to go an additional eighth of an inch in height to get the 2x7 Kahles, I`d sure do it!..........If you have your scout scope base on the rifle barrel now, the medium height front ring should work ok and give enough clearance for the Kahles 42mm objective diameter!
Fishinado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 12:51
Hmmm...It didn't have the scout base on display, and they didn't mention it.  Either way, I don't think I'll use it.  I'll probably use it the conventional way. 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 14:17

Hmmm...It didn't have the scout base on display, and they didn't mention it.  Either way, I don't think I'll use it.  I'll probably use it the conventional way. 
......................................That`s very unusual as the main purpose for the Frontiers design was to have the scout scope option for quick targeting with both eyes open aiming! I am surprised you dont have the scout base.....Are there holes drilled on top of your barrel forward of the action where the scout base is placed??......If not, then maybe someone changed the barrel??....Oh well!................Regardless, the Ruger medium height front ring will work fine for the Kahles 2x7 with room for the bolt to operate ok.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 17:28

Hung

Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic