OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

winchester short actions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffcamis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winchester short actions
    Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:20
I just purchased a Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM.  I was wondering whats my best better for bases and rings with this rifle.  I'd like to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible. the bell is 36 mm.  I was thinking of putting a 3 to 9 by 40mm ziess or luepold on it.  If anyone has a setup similar to this and/or knows what set up would fit best I'm all ears.  Thanks Jeff Camiscioli  
Jeff Cam
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:28
I would check to see if Warne makes bases for your specific model and go with those.  I really like their rings!  I mounted two 40mm scopes on Savage Mod. 11s using Weaver bases and Low Warne rings.  Warne also makes a little torque wrench that is pre-set to their recommendations for the right amount of pressure or torque on the screws!
take em!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 06:57
Millett makes some pretty nice stuff for the price should you be on a tight budget. Burris is also pretty nice for the price as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 08:37
I have Leupold bases and rings on my 270 WSM. It is a Browning A -Bolt with low Leupold rings and bases and a 3.5x10 44 Zeiss Conquest and it fits perfect. I have about 1/8 to 3/16 clearance between the objective and the barrel. Warne rings and bases are very nice and I've thought about switching to Warne but my Leupolds have been doing fine for me. Go with the Zeiss scope over the Leupold, you'll get a lot better glass for the money than with the Leuopld. I took a Leupold off my 270 WSM and went with the Zeiss and that made a big step up in optical quality.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 09:46
I agree with Tip69 and go with Warne rings and bases and the Zeiss scope.  Another option, would be to go with Talley one piece light weight rings and bases.  Easy to set up and strong.  They are the only other rings and bases that I use other than the Warnes.  Typically I would lap those, but not the Warnes, as they are vertically split.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 10:20
I like the Talley or Warne QD's. They both have large clamping bases on the rings. The Talley's are  better looking IMO, but cost a bit more, too. I also like the larger recoil shoulder on the base of the Talley ring but the recoil insert on the Warne is totally adequate. They are both easy to mount if you follow the directions.

Edited by tahqua - March/15/2008 at 13:28
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 12:38
+1 on the Talley Lightweights. I used them on a Weatherby Vanguard and Mounted a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss on it. This turned out very well. I love the setup. Thanks to all the OT members who helped turn me on to such great products.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 14:20
You guys have about talked me into changing from Leupold to Warne. I've not seen anything negative about them. Thaey look a lot stronger than Leupolds. I think I'll order some for my A-Bolt 270 WSM.
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 23:47
The Leupold PRW rings and bases work fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic