OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another Conquest Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Conquest Report
    Posted: March/13/2008 at 20:29
Yesterday I was at the range shooting 3 guns, 2 of them had Kahles CL MultiZero 4x12x52's and the other had a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800. 

I took a shot with the 300 win mag that had one of the Kahles on it and I could not see where the bullet hole was.  I was using those targets that have 8 individual targets with the black boxes like this

The next rifle up was the gun with the Conquest on it.  That bullet hole was as clear as could be.  I have noticed this before.  I also have a 3x9x50 Conquest that is capable of the same thing. 

Anyway, IMO the Conquests beat all comers for resolution and clarity.  The 2 Conquests I have are both better than the 2 Kahles CL MultiZero's and my Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10x50 VM/V T*.  I do think the Kahles and the Diavari gather more light  though.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 20:38
What distance were you shooting? I have a 3x10 50 CL and a 3.5x10 44 Conquest that I need to compare side by side.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 22:04
I was shooting at 100 yards.  If you don't have something like the black square to hide the hole it may be harder to tell the difference.

Or you can see which one you can count the splits in the paper around the hole with!  Big%20Grin
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 07:22
You guys just HAVE to make me buy a Kahles to compare to my Conquest don't you..........Oh my wife's gonna be pissed.  Oh well, she'll get over it........or just be mad for a really long time. Either way I'll have a multizero and be happy.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 08:59
I noticed the difference in darker situations. This is where the Kahles shine. But Unless you are on the hunt of a lifetime. the difference would not be double the price between the 3-9 Zeiss to the 3-10 Kahles. I will always be glad the Kahles was purchased, and it is best suited for the rifle it is sitting on.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 09:21
I have to ask: Did you use them all at the same magnification? I can see bullet holes with a Leupold 3,5-10x40 at 100yds. Surely all the above scopes on 10x or more are capable of that?
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 12:25
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I have to ask: Did you use them all at the same magnification? I can see bullet holes with a Leupold 3,5-10x40 at 100yds. Surely all the above scopes on 10x or more are capable of that?

Would have to agree................
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 13:06
Sounds to me like your Kahles aren't focused quite right!
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 13:11
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Sounds to me like your Kahles aren't focused quite right!

I agree. It is easy to adjust, too.
Thanks for the report.

Edited by tahqua - March/14/2008 at 13:11
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 13:16
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

You guys just HAVE to make me buy a Kahles to compare to my Conquest don't you..........Oh my wife's gonna be pissed.  Oh well, she'll get over it........or just be mad for a really long time. Either way I'll have a multizero and be happy.

I let my wife get another embrodery sewing machine. Then she is happy. I get neat shirts. WIN WIN!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 13:23
I have no problem seeing my bullet holes @ 100 yards set on 9x with my 3x9 4200!....But cannot with a Kahles?? Same backgrounds?.......Conquest all over a Kahles??? Something isn`t right here folks!!!! Shocked
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Anyway, IMO the Conquests beat all comers for resolution and clarity.  The 2 Conquests I have are both better than the 2 Kahles CL MultiZero's and my Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10x50 VM/V T*.

Brother, I thank you for your review and you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Conquest fan than me, (Focus maybe), but that's a pretty bold statement. Especially concerning the VM/V.  

EDIT TO ADD:
I have never seen the Kahles CL, just the older Kahles scopes, but even the older ones were better optically than my Conquest.  

Edited by cheaptrick - March/14/2008 at 15:54
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:09
                Ed  Sharp%20Shooter                                                              Stick%20HorseSqueezer
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:53
Okay guys, I should have made it clear that I could not see the bullet hole that was in the corner of the black square and totally in the black.  Of course you can see bullet holes in the clear in the white but when they are in the black of the squares, lots of luck.

Don't know how to adjust a side focus Kahles??  Laugh  That means I'm trying to keep a good humor about that statement.

I have seen some scopes on friend's rifles where they could not even see the bullet holes in the white.  Most notably a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x50.  He along with 2 other friends have since sold their old scopes and bought Conquests after looking through mine.

Yes, clearer than the Diavari (although it is 10 years old so maybe not the new Diavari's).

Again, I have 2 MultiZero's and they are the 4x12x52 models and they are wonderful scopes, just not quite as clear as the Conquests IME.

Flame away.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:56
No flame intended, friend.
Just saying.....
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 18:09
No flame intended here either. I can see bullet holes in the black at 1000 yards with all of my Kahles Big%20Grin
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 18:21
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own a Diavari VM/V T*, there is no way it is 10 years old............. If I remember correctly the T* coating came out just prior to Zeiss coming out with the Victory binos.  I purchased a pair somewhere around 03-04, if I remember correctly, I'll eat crow, if someone can prove me wrong but a Conquest should not be brighter or clearer than a Diavari under any condition.  Why would a company build a $1500 scope when a $400 scope will perform betterLoco?

Edited by antleraddiction - March/14/2008 at 18:31
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by antleraddiction antleraddiction wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own a Diavari VM/V T*, there is no way it is 10 years old............. If I remember correctly the T* coating came out just prior to Zeiss coming out with the Victory binos.  I purchased a pair somewhere around 03-04, if I remember correctly, I'll eat crow, if someone can prove me wrong but a Conquest should not be brighter or clearer than a Diavari under any condition.  Why would a company build a $1500 scope when a $400 scope will perform betterLoco?

No, the Zeiss T* coating has been around for a long time--like twenty five years. All the West German Zeiss scopes of the eighties had T* coatings on them. Zeiss camera lenses had T* coatings going back even before that--I know way back into the early seventies.

When Zeiss decided to start building scopes in the USA for the American market--the Americanized version of the Diavari 3X9X36--they began to use the new MC coating---which is a lesser coating--I think the T* coating is more into the blue spectrum, or something like that...[ Koshkin would know this....]  while the MC is different---but still outstanding. The T* is more expensive and is produced only in Germany on the high dollar stuff.  ( I remember you could buy a T* Zeiss 3X9 from Cencored in the early ninties for $500!!)  That was too much money for me in those days.....Sad                  --Ed 

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by antleraddiction antleraddiction wrote:

I may have made an error.  It is not a VM/V but just a regular V (is there a difference Question) but definitely is a T*

It now resides on my Mato 338 win mag, but I know that I purchased it somewhere around 1998 or so (give or take a year).

I just recently got the Conquest 4.5x14x44 but I have had the Conquest 3x9x50 for a couple of years now and I have noticed the superior clarity before in that scope.  I thought that I had just gotten an exceptional one that was exactly focused at 100 yards.  Now with the side focus Conquest 4.5x14x44 I have noticed the superior clarity at the longer yardages also.

I also have a Kahles AH 3.5x10x50 and I can say that it has less clarity than the MultiZeros or the Diavari

JMO but in clarity I would rank the Conquests first, the MultiZero's second, the Diavari third and the Kahles AH fourth.  Various other scopes such as a Burris Black Diamond a couple of steps down.

If someone lives in the Houston area I would certainly be glad to meet them and demonstrate, until them next time you are at the range look for the minor superiority of the Conquests on clarity.

doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 19:27
 I want to know what power you can see bullet holes in the black at 1000 yards. I don't mean any harm but I call B.S. on that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic